Striders Backpack build with found parts

Strider

41 minutes ago, jeddz said:

This is some great detail, its amazing how many difference of opinions and thoughts there are on backpacks. I am halfway through my build and color has been a contentious topic, in the original ANH the color was more of a battleship blue grey which i agree with but then after the recolor and re-release it magically went to a blue color? which is it?

I say the grey like in original? 

Here you go:

37 minutes ago, gino said:

Also the corner radius on the brexton is much larger than on the original box.

Again, I think this is something that can be heavily influenced by camera angle and possibly painted vs. unpainted appearance.

But it's a great discussion! I think what we can agree on is that the Brexton boxes are pretty close. We have solved so many puzzles in the past I'm sure we will tackle this one as well :)

It's interesting that just about all the components of the backpack seem to come from a "Hardware" store + were fairly cheap (with the exception of the radio).    I wonder if they would have purchased the whole picnic set for one box - or were the boxes from that set available on their own back then?

Hey Strider,

Does the box on the left fit inside the box on the right?   - maybe they took the cover off the box on the left and telescoped that box inside the box  on the right - giving the tool box the larger lip and the bottom square that goes closer to the edge.

26694a37d0f2ec1f73db30859eb0c590.jpg

7 minutes ago, 1970s said:

Hey Strider,

Does the box on the left fit inside the box on the right?   - maybe they took the cover off the box on the left and telescoped that box inside the box  on the right - giving the tool box the larger lip and the bottom square that goes closer to the edge.

26694a37d0f2ec1f73db30859eb0c590.jpg

No idea, those 2 boxes are from @travis.mctucky.  But I wonder why they should have done something like that.

Hello striker.
I've been thinking about the bottle aswell.
Today I picked up a nalgene water bottle to replace my old bottle, and it struck me that it is a close size match.
The bottle in the pic with the plunger is the 32oz size and has been around since the early 1970's, so they would have been around.. time wise..
Now a days they can be found easily and fairly inexpensive.
Any thoughts?eaabea99244f871983e283a1d18a09d8.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jcalus said:

Hello striker.
I've been thinking about the bottle aswell.
Today I picked up a nalgene water bottle to replace my old bottle, and it struck me that it is a close size match.
The bottle in the pic with the plunger is the 32oz size and has been around since the early 1970's, so they would have been around.. time wise..
Now a days they can be found easily and fairly inexpensive.
Any thoughts?eaabea99244f871983e283a1d18a09d8.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The diameter should be larger, maybe about 1cm. Also the bottom is too rounded off. It was probably more something like the propane bottle pointed out above.

8 hours ago, 1970s said:

Went to Walmart to test an idea today

1.jpg

Is the flat part at the bottom removable and just to make it stand properly?

The screenused bottles don't look that flat but more blunt...  otherwise it looks great, though!

Hey RoCKo,

If your talking about the "ring" that is at the bottom of the container - it's not removable.   The container is all metal and would need some work smoothing out the seams to make it seamless.   Plus you need to get rid of the gas that's inside to bring down the weight.

I guess that would have been to much work for the prop department to spend for just some random things like greeblies on a background charakter/item like the Sandtrooper/backpack then.

Since the bottles are that random we might never find the real used part if there aren't any more specific marks like a decal, logo...

Anyway, the size and proportions look great on yours, mate!

There have to be more reference pictures around....  some fine day someone will release them, i'm sure!

And i'm pretty sure there will be a 4k version of Star Wars coming up....

Hey RoCKo,

I do find it interesting that they did put the time and  effort into plugging up the holes on the seed trays.   I agree - they probably did not use the contain I have show above - too much work needed.    But I think they purchased everything for the backpack at one hardware store - and the 2 containers for under the plungers were some chemical bottle that you would find in a hardware store.   Probably the chemical is no longer made or sold in that container anymore.   Another problem with the propane container above is it's metal making it heavy - particularly in the case when it would hang from the siphon.

6 hours ago, 1970s said:

I do find it interesting that they did put the time and  effort into plugging up the holes on the seed trays.  

That's why i'm still not 100% sold with the seed trays! On the one hand they look too close to not what was used but on the other hand there might have been a vintage version without those drain holes back then. Who knows?!

Unfortunatly the people involved like the guys from the prop department don't remember anymore. Who can blame them after all those years with so many props to be build for a film that wasn't even expected to be prosperous.

I'm completely with you on all other points, they had access to only a few bits and pieces where most of the props were build from and i think it was Mr. Muir who said they bought everything  else from stores around like the "boyscout" frames...

While searching for the vintage trays i stumbled across a lot of websites and at least nowadays the companies mostly have their trays either with or without drain holes.

Your right the form and dimensions are accurate, so we just need to find a unopened 70's storage with a bunch of trays without drain holes, though! Shouldn't be that hard, huh?    :rolleyes:

On 4/29/2017 at 3:59 AM, RoCKo said:

Is the flat part at the bottom removable and just to make it stand properly?

The screenused bottles don't look that flat but more blunt...  otherwise it looks great, though!

I used this kind of bottles for camping for many years when I was in boy scouts. If I do remember corectly, at least back then, the "flat part" was actually a base to keep the bottle standing upright. It was black plastic and could be removed even if not inteded for that. The thing is if you removed it, the bottle would be round just as at the top. Design wise, I guess a pill shape was needed to keep the pressure within safety levels.

But then again, AFAIK, in the 70s such bottles were not available for camping, we used other kind of containers, and mostly, just fuel tanks with a pump to pressurize the tank manually.

I could be mistaken, but I did not come across that kind of pill tanks in camping equipment until  the late 80s or even early 90s.

Saludos.

Yep, exactly, bro! I agree, the form is needed to keep the pressure safe.

I'm a diver and that was one of the first things i learened! Since i always disliked the divers "backpack design" i had to ask...   :whistling:

There is no way the bottom design is like the movie bottles imho,  at least not without heavy modifications made.

Unfortunatly, like i said before, there are literally hundreds of possibilities for a simple bottle. The onyl tell-tale might be the upper section which indeed looks a lot like a gas bottle.

• Upvote 1

I'll be meeting up with Anthony ( Forrest) this weekend for some drinks, I'll ask him if he can recall anything about how the specific parts of the backpack looked and if he can tell what it probably was or is..

:salute:

• Upvote 1

On 5.5.2017 at 0:50 PM, dutchy said:

I'll be meeting up with Anthony ( Forrest) this weekend for some drinks, I'll ask him if he can recall anything about how the specific parts of the backpack looked and if he can tell what it probably was or is..

:salute:

How cool is that?!! Well, thell him we all said hello :pint1::)

I doubt that he'll recall anything specific about the backpack (would be cool if he did) but what might be interesting as well would be what he remembers about the move along scene. How many takes (I think there was a lunch break inbetween) and if he remembers switiching his gear a couple of times for that scene? Would be some interesting info to confirm some findings.

Cheers

One other thing; I've been getting some requests about my seed trays. They were a one-off I got from ebay but....I've send 2 of them to Clive @Ninjabiscuit and he is going to offer vac formed casts of it :) Some of you might know his shop "Imperial Supply Depot" on Facebook where he's already offering a lot of TD and TK stuff.

Now I'm aware that we as a 501st are vendor agnostic, so this is just an info that those will be available there.

Cheers