shwarzwald

I bought extra ABS from Trooperbay and I use inner strips too for added strength. If you haven't done so, pickup a bunch of rare earth magnets and extra clamps. That way you can do more than one piece a night. I would also advice not doing all the cover strips at once. You need to make sure things fit correctly. For example, if you need more room on the rear of the thighs you may need larger cover strips. 

Yeah my local hardware store ran out of the magnets after I bought the remainder of their stock!( More was on order)

Also I meant measure out and cut the coverstrips at the same time. Like after all pieces have been trimmed and fit correctly. That way I would know if any had to be longer. Also good to see another person does both inside and outside coverstrips.

Ok so I bought out all the magnets at the hardware store and got a few more clamps. With that I was able to get the inside coverstrips glued in on the right bicep. Though bad news is I apparently do not have enough coverstrips to even finish the armor off. So kinda in a bind. I messaged wtf to see if I could maybe get some.

GwA0ucb.jpg

Unrelated I forgot to show that I had built a mediocre mannequin that once I adjust it will hopefully hold the armor.

7Lfvdlj.jpg

Ok so the shins are giving me heck.  How wide is the front flat spot allowed to be?  Pretty much it would be a 25mm coverstrip sitting over a large flat area. And the back side cant connect. ( Curse you bike riding!) Also this is also taking into account the boots. ( Wore them each time I fitted it.)

2sbyrF4.jpg

XtICsRJ.jpg

Edit- Also wear proper ppe while working on projects. Just sliced the top of my thumb with an exacto while scoring a piece. Be safe boys and girls!

39 minutes ago, Spliedt729 said:

I am going for SWAT with the famous "Move Along" trooper and he has 11 on the left and 12 on the right. I don't know if it matters because I've seen some with just 11 on both. Might depend on the armor. 

Took me a secon to realize you were answering a question I had earlier. Yeah from what I can tell everyone is a bit different. Kits vary. I counted them each time I was on a new build thread. So I decided o keep 12, but keep it shorter.

The shins are the current problem.

From what I understand the back side can be a little wider for bigger calves it's the front that you wanna try to keep as accurate as possible. But I'm also on my first build and am a newbie as well. So I don't think it will be a problem.

That's probably going to be the part that takes the longest.  I'm caught wanting to emulate an onscreen trooper, but the weathering is what really makes a sandtrooper unique. And unlike my clonetrooper helmet I'm really going to make it look proper and realistic.

The one that I will probably aim to emulate is Roadblock v2 sergeant. The one with the Mg-15.

Scope_Still_01.jpg

Otherwise I will just create a unique sandtrooper. I am especially eager to find out if we will be allowed to use the pack #4 that appeared in R1. (The ones with the radio.)(Not the crystal carrying back. Since that is standard tk.)

image_zpsb3ipocid.jpeg

You'd need R1 style armor for that pack more than likely. Are you doing butt joins when you're building your armor? Check out some of the build threads as they are highly detailed and organized: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/ and http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31920-ukswraths-am-10-build/

Believe you me when I say ukswrath is whom I've been following for builds. Also what I showed was precutting. I would overlap the pieces until I found a desired width I wanted to cut them to butt them together. Followed by an inside coverstrip. Then an outside coverstrip effectively sandwiching the two parts together. 

However my concern was how wide that front flat piece was. I thought it would look weird if the flat surace was 2 inches wide and the coverstrip covering the seam was 20mm wide. Despite searching I can only find someone doing a TE helmet build. Which weirdly enough this kit I bought did not come with a TE helmet.  

You take the 20mm and cut it in half. So each part of the flat shin is 10mm. Then you butt join them by putting the cover strip on. You'll need a long metal ruler to clamp down so you can trim the straight line with the exacto. Go to home depot and get yourself some cut-resistant gloves. 

Ok so pictures are worth a thousand words . As shown below is a mock up for sizing. At most I would need to straighten the cuts out a bit, but otherwise this is what it would look like when I glued down the coverstrip. As you can see on either side of the coverstrip there is a bit more flat area. Now my concern was that is that too much material showing under the coverstrip? If not then I'll clean the lines up and get to gluing.

ngYKMsS.jpg

2sXRMnH.jpg

PVzcRHJ.jpg

On a side note I would agree about the glove. Cutting the top of your thumb is very inconvenient. It take forever to type messages out.

Because you haven't cut off the extra plastic. Measure from the edge of the raised portion 10mm and draw a line. Do this on both sides. Clamp a metal ruler and cutt off the material past the 10mm. When you put the outter and inner shin pieces together it'll equal 20mm flat portion which will be covered with a 20mm finishing strip. This is called butt joining. 

If I cut down the front any more it will have a large gap in the back.  His guide is using a kit that was given extra material. All I have done is trim the molding off. Apparently a TE kit runs a bit small on shin width. 

That being said. Do I cut the front down a bit so the coverstrip covers the flat spot and just make some sort of shim for the rear?