Rogue One -- Jehda Patrols are "Sandtroopers"

BrinkHouse

Ok first off not all troopers posted on Jedha are Sandtroopers, not even close. In fact there are only a few who are and I'm not even sure if those ones made it to the final cut.

On 2016-12-22 at 7:42 AM, Airborne Trooper said:

I agree that it's basically a R1 TK with a pauldron and pack but they are weathered and they are labeled Sandtrooper in the visual guide. There's actually 2 different packs to choose from as well. Most famous is the ammo box version. 

There are NOT 2 different packs to choose from! One pack is specifically designed for sandtroopers while the other pack IS NOT!  The "ammo box version" you're referring to is in fact a "field-specific kit" designed for "Standard Stormtroopers" according to the Rogue One visual guide, and yes this is a Lucasfilm licensed book. These packs are designed for "Crystal Patrol Duty". Read the paragraph in the image below

UBdiif7.jpg

Looking at the Norwegian Grenade Case (or "ammo box") it does have the appearance of "Vac-Sealed Armoured Canisters". Considering the history and significance of Kyber Crystals not only in the Rogue One plot but the Star Wars universe in general I'd say this makes absolute perfect sense! They would definitely have been kept in a "well-secured backpack" once confiscated by the empire, at least temporarily until ready for "delivery to Eadu" to be refined into fuel for their super weapon.

QWeqBqJ.jpg

On a side note, this also makes perfect sense as to why we first see one of these packs at the Kafrene Trading Outpost which is not on the planet Jedha. The Empire would definitely deploy "standard stormtroopers" issued with these "field specific kits" at the nearby trading outpost in order to capture and confiscate any crystals from citizens attempting to trade them on the market.

This also explains why the pack was displayed on a TK at Celebration Europe and not a TD. The pack at CE looks like it has mud splashed on it from walking/running and being set down on the ground, but the stormtrooper armor is standard shiny white like he just stepped off a star destroyer.

aZL0C4n.jpg

On 2016-12-22 at 8:48 AM, bigwam said:

Is there a pic from the second backpack? I only knew the Ammobox version.

The pack designed for sandtroopers is a 'hard pack' that slightly resembles the original TD packs from ANH. I took this photograph myself from my own personal copy of the Rogue One Visual Guide. As you can see this is a "Sandtrooper Type 4 Field pack"

5fUjcDN.jpg

The paragraph below focuses on the armor itself , it doesn't actually mention the packs at all but this is what the sandtroopers in this image are wearing. Notice the base of the antenna is above their shoulders and the lack of shoulder straps or a hook greeblie.

tpvu4ii.jpg

Also seen on the Hot Toys Jedha Patrol action figure. Again, notice the antenna base and lack of shoulder straps.

71T1FGb.jpg

On 2016-12-23 at 9:06 AM, ukswrath said:

IMHO we're looking at two different troopers. There's a clear difference between the R1 TK and TD, both of which were equipped with backpacks, well at least some of the TKs were. The TK armor is generally not dirty (weathered), though his backpack is. The TD seen above in the magazine clearly has weathered armor. The backpacks are also different, well, at least the antennas are. Unfortunately without screen shots, behind the scene images, first hand knowledge provided by either the writers, Lucas or Disney, neither troopers received enough screen time to clearly differentiate their rolls.  

If we indeed have a new version TD then someone should get  a thread going so we can start the detail processing, similar to a CRL or SWAT spec update.     

Correct, it's been confirmed and now we know for certain; There are two packs, one is a "field-specific kit" issued to "standard stormtroopers" for "crystal patrol duty". While the other "Sandtrooper Type 4 Field Pack" is obviously designed for a TD. 

Neither of these packs received significant screen time but I've seen the film several times now and I've been able to spot the crystal patrol duty packs 3 or 4 times in a few different scenes. Though just like anything else seen in the films; regardless of screen time these packs are now officially part of Star Wars canon history and the visual guide itself is Lucasfilm/Disney Licensed.

I read the discussion over at FISD the other day and the Norwegian pack will/should belong to FISD. This second pack, as shown on the visual guide, is definitely for sandtroopers so I believe a CRL should be developed in the near future. Hoping that when the blu-ray is released, there's more screen time for the sandtroopers in the deleted scenes. I was disappointed with the deleted scene content from TFA. I'm sure there'll be a directors cut at some point with even more content in attempt to get people to buy it again.  

3 hours ago, DustyTrooper said:

Very nice reference photo! What is the original source of that image, do you know where was it taken from? Is it a screenshot from the movie, I don't think I've seen that picture before.

I got this from a magazine which contained a lot of good pics from R1. I don't recall seeing this in the movie but I will watch out for it the next time :)

I'm not a big fan of the new TK armor but those packs do look kinda cool. Would definitively be a great addition to our detachment.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think any deployed, dirty, and specially loaded troopers should belong here.

With the FISD taking the "crystal patrol" essentially they now have dirty, heavily gunned (T-21), pauldroned, and backpacked-up troopers. and that leaves us with one tiny variant from this movie that may or may not have made it on-screen.

They already have the following, do they really need the "Crystal Patrol" troopers as well?

TK - Stormtrooper: ANH Hero
CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: ANH Stunt
CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: ESB
CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: ROTJ

CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: Commander
CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: Concept Armor
CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: Death Trooper

CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: First Order
CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: Heavy Weapons Trooper
CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: Incinerator Trooper
CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: Legacy Era Female

CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: Shock Trooper
CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: Sky Trooper

CRLcomplete.jpg TK - Stormtrooper: Captain Phasma

And presumably the R1 TK coming soon as well.

They would basically lump that in as a new Heavy Weapons Trooper. We will just have to wait and see what command decides.

I've personally never been a fan of HWT because I feel like it's a way to have all the perks of a sandtrooper without having to get your hands dirty. 

Maybe we can add the new backpack but NOT the new armor to our Sandtrooper equipment.

The new R1 Sandtroopers armor are too similar to a R1 Storm armor which, in turn, are more similar to original trilogy TKs than TDs.

1 minute ago, TD9009 said:

Maybe we can add the new backpack but NOT the new armor to our Sandtrooper equipment.

The new R1 Sandtroopers armor are too similar to a R1 Storm armor which, in turn, are more similar to original trilogy TKs than TDs.

I doubt that'd happen since the armor is so much different than OT. If the OT was made today, the armor would more than likely be very close in look as it is in R1 and the TK/TD would be similar too. 

but... this means that the main difference from a Rogue One Stormtrooper armor to a Rogue One Sandtrooper armor is simply the weathering.
So, If a Stormtrooper with backpack falls into a mud puddle then it gets an insta-level-up, magically becoming a Sandtrooper (with Super Mario Bros Sound Effect).  =_=!

I still prefer to have something more than "simply weathering" to distinguish TD and TK.
A New Hope was GREAT doing that (abeit unwanted) while Rogue one totally was missing that point (but was pointing-out those differences into the Visual Guide) 

On Hot Toys website, anyway, those are still called as Stormtroopers
http://www.hottoys.com.hk/productDetail.php?productID=426

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/productDetail.php?productID=433

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/productDetail.php?productID=435

This image looks so photoshoppy.  Maybe it is the way the set was lighted.

In regards to my two cents  of "TKs being able to throw on a pauldron and calling themselves a TD" - I am not all up to date on who is in command at FISD. But are any of the people deciding on the issue of R1 tk/td a Sandy?
Or someone who is at least familiar with the miniscule details as to what makes us "not a TK."?

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:03 AM, Strider said:

While we're still in discussions with the FISD, I thought I leave this here...

20161227_145200_HDR_resized_zpsioam8u8a.

3 hours ago, Fraulein said:

In regards to my two cents  of "TKs being able to throw on a pauldron and calling themselves a TD" - I am not all up to date on who is in command at FISD. But are any of the people deciding on the issue of R1 tk/td a Sandy?
Or someone who is at least familiar with the miniscule details as to what makes us "not a TK."?

That is essentially the crux of my argument right in a nutshell. What makes us TDs and the shiny white-jobs TKs?  BEING KITTED UP FOR SPECIAL DUTY AND DEPLOYED (aka dirty).
IMO as soon as a trooper gets handed special equipment and actually gets his plates dirty on the ground he should be one of us.

I'm NOT saying that the TKs seen on Scarif are Sandies, they are in garrison. But, to me, the troopers with T-21s, big backpacks, and pauldrons shown on Jedha should be classified as TDs (the D can now stand for "deployed"- rather than in garrison/on starship duty)

But would that mean the crystal patrol tk should be ours by that logic? They are being kitted up and deployed.  Also does this mean that in order to have the pack #4 that one would have to create a R1 sandtrooper which looks exactly like a dirty Tk just to have a pack?

This movie is blurring the lines too much on tk and td.

1 hour ago, shwarzwald said:

But would that mean the crystal patrol tk should be ours by that logic? They are being kitted up and deployed.  Also does this mean that in order to have the pack #4 that one would have to create a R1 sandtrooper which looks exactly like a dirty Tk just to have a pack?

This movie is blurring the lines too much on tk and td.

The movie IS blurring the lines, because the lines probably weren't meant to exist, originally with the Sandtroopers.
The Sandies were the first ~10 pulls (done in a hurry) and shipped off to Tunisia in a rush for the start of filming.
It's why our stuff is so wonky- even more so than the other ANH TKS, we were "first and best" (for a given value of best).

In all (story arc) sense, the TK armor would be the standard and upgraded with any necessary extras for a given environment.

Which is why I thought the moniker "Deployed" and the description of "extra kit for a specific deployment beyond the standard Garrison E-11 and bright, shining plates" should be our domain. 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:03 AM, Strider said:

While we're still in discussions with the FISD, I thought I leave this here...

20161227_145200_HDR_resized_zpsioam8u8a.

If you look at the two visible packs, the markings, weathering etc is identical, and I mean IDENTICAL, as is the pose of the figure, position of the armour pieces etc. The figure on the left has been photoshopped in, and is a copy of the figure on the right......... I wonder why, if this is an official still from the st of Rogue One ???

This is a good pick up Scousetrooper . Even if you look at the lighting on the right of their helmets it's identical.

However, isn't it the trooper on the right that's been photoshopped and is copy of the guy on the left? Maybe to cover something up on the trooper that's partially hidden.

Plus you can see more of the left trooper, so it would be easier to copy and bring him backwards, than copy the right trooper and add legs and extend the antenna (unless it's a cropped photo I suppose).

I'm along ways of being a photoshop expert, so you may well be right, but seems suspicious.

It's interesting that we are having this conversation on someone that may be a Sandtrooper - just deployed elsewhere, and yet we completely disparage the SE ANH Sandtrooper. Are we trying to pull this one in as it is on a new film but hate the other as it was added in later? Both have drop boxes, both have normal knee plates, normal an pieces and both have different packs... Hate to say but are we not having differing standards here?