Need help to choose armor

Pendragon

Hi, I'm new  here and interested in joining the 501st Legion. I'm not good at assembling kits at all so I need help on finding a good full sandtrooper costume, good quality with hopefully few modifications to do to get approved by 501st legion.

I heard about RS Prop Masters, it's expensive but I wonder if it is worth to buy it.

Thanks

I had never built a kit either when I started but I was able to research and put mine together.  I'm confident you can do the same.

If you go to this link there are a lot of vendors that you can pick from that will meet your needs - http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

I have never built a kit, and I can barely make myself a tidy sandwich. But with the vast amount of guides, videos and people around to help, I've taken the plunge and ordered a RS kit.

I'm fairly confident that I can build a Armor kit to at least basic approval.

But also depends where you live to where you can get the best priced armor, as places like Anovos have expensive shipping fee's (Was £350-£400 just for UK delivery :().

I just received my fully assembled, fully weathered Sandtrooper kit from RS. It is simply amazing. Yes it is expensive and yes it is more rewarding to build your own but I simply did not have the time. I was trying to get mine before the opening of Rogue One. They delivered it on time. Yes it is expensive but worth every penny.

IMG_1468.jpgIMG_1472.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you want it weathered (which I did), they have to assemble it. It comes as a complete kit. I think it's an extra $300. I tried to get them to weather it and send it to me as a kit but they wouldn't do that. If you get it as a kit you have to weather it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, new member here from Orlando, FL. I too am looking for some guidance for my first kit. I just got on the waiting list for an ATA Sandtrooper kit (9 months out), but I'm still torn thinking an RS kit might be the way to go. I really don't mind putting it together myself. I'm a professional oil painter in real life (teacher too), so I'm looking forward to weathering the kit. What I'm not good at is any type of sewing and whatnot.

The appeal of the RS kit for me is that it comes with the blaster, pauldron, and pack.. and I'm guessing they will sell you the soft goods kit even if you don't buy the complete finished kit. I'd like to go for SWAT out the gate and I was thinking the desert sergeant. I wasn't sure though if RS only has the orange pauldron and if that is the correct pack with the kit. Also, looking at their pics, I think I'd still have to get some pouches and whatnot.

I'm 5'10 170lbs.

Advice?

The appeal of the RS kit for me is that it comes with the blaster, pauldron, and pack.. and I'm guessing they will sell you the soft goods kit even if you don't buy the complete finished kit. I'd like to go for SWAT out the gate and I was thinking the desert sergeant. I wasn't sure though if RS only has the orange pauldron and if that is the correct pack with the kit. Also, looking at their pics, I think I'd still have to get some pouches and whatnot...

I have an RS kit currently underway. They have Orange, Black or White pauldrons available. You can specify which one you want when you send them your final measurements and details (which they will ask you for by return email once you've committed to buying).
I'm not going for SWAT straight off the bat, so can't categorically say their supplied pouches are enough, but they do come with some already.

2 hours ago, Darth_Stevius said:

I have an RS kit currently underway. They have Orange, Black or White pauldrons available. You can specify which one you want when you send them your final measurements and details (which they will ask you for by return email once you've committed to buying).
I'm not going for SWAT straight off the bat, so can't categorically say their supplied pouches are enough, but they do come with some already.

What made you choose the RS kit over say the WTF or ATA kits? Was it the package that includes most everything or something else? Thanks.

I was quoted about $1,864 for an unassembled RS kit with everything (helmet, armor, belt, gloves, hand guards,  snaps, elastics, neck seal, under suit, boots, pouches, pauldron, E-11 blasterr, backpack, and shipping. Not sure how this compare to a WTF suit. My time is at a premium and one advantage I see here is not having to spend time tracking pieces down so I'll be able to spend my time actually working on it. Not sure what others think though.

5 hours ago, caravaggio2000 said:

I was quoted about $1,864 for an unassembled RS kit with everything (helmet, armor, belt, gloves, hand guards,  snaps, elastics, neck seal, under suit, boots, pouches, pauldron, E-11 blasterr, backpack, and shipping...

0 _ 0

Wow.  I think that is how much I have put into my kit over the course of building and improving. But unassembled? Is that what it cost these days?

32 minutes ago, Fraulein said:

0 _ 0

Wow.  I think that is how much I have put into my kit over the course of building and improving. But unassembled? Is that what it cost these days?

It was about $350ish more assembled, but I kind of wanted to do the assembly and weathering myself. Is it high? I haven't been able to contact Walt yet, so I'm not sure how it compares to his pricing, but ATA was about $600 for the armor and helmet unassembled. Not sure if the rest adds up to $1,200ish or not if I went that route.

RS makes some beautiful armor but you pay a premium. If your stateside, I would recommend WTF. Wait times are minimal and he makes some fantastic armor. I was quick to purchase so I didn't do all the research that I advice any new recruits to do before making the investment. You also need to consider what body type you have so you pick the right armor. Bigger (wide and tall) typical choose RT-Mod or AM2. Skinny guys can choose whatever they want. I can do basic automobile maintenance and never worked with plastic in my life and I figured it out. Between here and Whitearmor, there's so much visual aid and community to help even the least handy. If you don't have time to dedicate to put together armor, do you plan on joining the 501st or is this just for display? I've put tons of time in my build plus maintanence. Don't get me started on my pack I just finished lol. This is definitely a passion for me and I love doing it. 

10 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

RS makes some beautiful armor but you pay a premium. If your stateside, I would recommend WTF. Wait times are minimal and he makes some fantastic armor. I was quick to purchase so I didn't do all the research that I advice any new recruits to do before making the investment. You also need to consider what body type you have so you pick the right armor. Bigger (wide and tall) typical choose RT-Mod or AM2. Skinny guys can choose whatever they want. I can do basic automobile maintenance and never worked with plastic in my life and I figured it out. Between here and Whitearmor, there's so much visual aid and community to help even the least handy. If you don't have time to dedicate to put together armor, do you plan on joining the 501st or is this just for display? I've put tons of time in my build plus maintanence. Don't get me started on my pack I just finished lol. This is definitely a passion for me and I love doing it. 

Hey thanks. I do plan on talking to Walt to see what he has to offer before actually buying anything. I just wasn't sure if, after all the various pieces were added together, the price was similar. I'm looking forward to actually building the armor, putting everything together, and making it look great.I'm just not sure if I want to spend time tracking down every little part... that's the appeal of the RS armor for me; that they'll send me a kit with most everything I'll need to get started. I do plan to join the 501st. I've been thinking about it for a few years now. I'm an elementary school teacher, so during the school year my time is pretty limited . That being said, I have my summers off and I think that would be a good time for me to get together with others, enjoy the love of SW, and put some smiles on people's faces.

I don't like to publicly discuss vendor prices on open forum so please reach out to the vendors regarding prices. I can tell you he's a bit cheaper than RS though. I made a few purchases on here, white armor,a few trips to the fabric store for elastic, and hobby store for paint but not too bad. Most troops are on the weekend so you'd be fine. Plus, 501st only requires 1 troop a year to remain active. After your first troop you'll be hooked anyways