Dyops Sandtrooper Build

Slick

Hello all! I recently bought a TD armor from Walt's (WTF) as he had a kit available to ship last Friday. I got it today and I'm excited about it. As this is my very first kit, I am also very intimidated as I need to do everything from scratch without a diagram or labels on the parts. Also, I need to buy all the tools and fasteners. I am aiming for SWAT approval but may settle for a Police Officer as I do not want to be tied to one character. I ordered the orange and white pauldrons and will be ordering different pouches. I also plan to get a E-11 and DLT-19 blasters. I'm leaving the backpack for the very last.

First thing I will be doing is buying the tools to start trimming the excess stuff and order some brackets and the masking decal for the helmet.

30396685151_840e8f0d4f_c.jpg

29850965833_41c583f8c8_c.jpg

Anything else I need to do or buy especially before the build process? I need all the help I can get!

Welcome and congrats on getting the BBB!  One thing I would look at is what kind of glue you want to use for your cover strips, etc.  I recommend E6000 as it is forgiving should you need to remove it and fix a mistake.

Good luck!

A couple tubes of E6000, exacto knife and extra blades, cut resistant gloves, a dremel with sanding drum and cutting wheel, if you go with the original strapping method get the Mr. Nostripes strapping kit. That's just to start. Just read as many tutorials both here and over at whitearmor.net. Take your time and research screen used helmets. Look at small details such as how much flashing to leave in the eyes, tube stripe counts, etc. Mostly, have fun! 

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I posted. I even forgot I already started a build thread. Hahaha! For the past couple of months, I've been working on the armor part time. Honestly, it's taking me longer than what I wanted so my New Years's resolution is to finish the armor this month and the accessories (guns, backpack, etc.) including weathering by the end of February. Here's some photo updates of the build.

30162334584_58010ec05c_z.jpg31497204873_a116f2af80_z.jpg

31466311824_6a51dd8494.jpg 31466310194_f368b48863_z.jpg

31466312274_ca8bbdbd67_z.jpg 31497209253_15e2bd90be_z.jpg 31466311304_8c28ab63c1_z.jpg 31497207243_74e763933d_z.jpg

Now comes the questions. For SWAT do I need to put a return edge on the back pieces in order to put the pseudo strapping screws and nut? Walt's (WTF) back pieces came in as 1 part that I had to cut. This means no return edges. It would save me a lot of headache if I do not need the return edges and strapping screws for SWAT. I already placed a pencil mark if I have to bend those over.

31466310844_a713e12890_z.jpg

Another problem with the armor is that the right side of the ab and kidney sections do not line up. Do I have to cut and make a new return edge to line the pieces up? or can I just leave it like that? If so, where do I place the snap?

31466309894_bbc9fed1ff_z.jpg

Any feedback would be great. BTW I decided to aim for the Desert Seargent, Davin Felth (Look Sir, Droids!). So any tips or things I should do to meet the requirements would be very much appreciated!

Your progress is looking good, these kits are a lot of work and it can be hard to make time.

As for your questions - I'm not SWAT so don't take everything I say 100%.  For my PO, I only put screws in the return edge on my chest and ab plates.  As for the other piece, you could trim it or consider adding a small shim to make it sit flush.  It's hard to say without seeing in on your body.  Maybe someone else can chime in and help us.

• 4 weeks later...

Almost done with the build even if I passed my personal deadline to finish the armor last month. All what's left is attaching the shoulders to the white elastics, gluing the hand guards to the gloves, attachments for the thighs and the shin enclosure. For the shins, I may try using magnets similar to Sam Crow's shin fasteners, except I'm using elastic instead of 3D printed pieces.

32778569835_3e9562d7aa_z.jpg
31964483273_0a27d1c38c_z.jpg
32655080681_f437cc50ce_z.jpg

After I'm done, weathering and weapon builds! I have to save up to buy the backpack.

No, I didn't. I'm trying to keep away from using the heat gun as much as possible on the armor. But, I may need it to shape the shin piece to bring the back closer to each other.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking good! When you get around to the backpack I would definitely look at what Crashmann offers. I know there are several people that offer good kits, I built the one by Crashmann and really liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love seeing armor builds. It's wonderful to see everything come together, and thank you for the endorsement of the backpack kit Mike!

Dyops contacted me a few months ago, and now that his armor is almost finished, he'll be ordering a backpack kit.

Deo will be ready to get dirty very soon! :duim:

Charlie

• 5 weeks later...

I finally finished my 1st pass on my Sandtrooper armour and my Hasbro "Bapty" blaster. Now I am working on the backpack... which I had to put aside because of the forums going down. :P

I was hoping to get the backpack done for this weekend but I can't. I hope to finish it for, at the very least, our Canada Day parade on July 1.

I apologize I am not going to post individual pictures here because I have a lot. But I will put the link to my Flickr album. As I am trying to mimic Davin Felth, Desert Sergeant, I need all the feedback I can get to further improve my armour. Here is the link:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1hPYNA

I know toy guns do not count for SWAT but I just hoped to be the 1st to attempt to make a toy version of the Bapty blaster. :D It's also my practice run for the replica one that I will build after the backpack. 

Thanks for the comments, advice, help, suggestions so far! I really appreciate them!

3 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

Kit came together very well! Have you received 501st status yet? You can get that without the pack. 

Thanks!! I just got my designation yesterday as TD 11250! :D Perfect timing on the 40th birthday of SW!

Thanks again to all for the advice and help! I will need more for the backpack! :P