Fullers earth or grout

HansVader

Ok couple questions , I have seen a couple threads where grout was used , the results look really good and you can vary the color some .  I am on the fence for using this vs Fullers earth Pros and cons of each anyone?  Also , is there a go to place or brand for purchase of the earth? I was going to purchase from Trooperbay . I like this because you got 3 shades.

https://trooperbay.com/costuming-supplies/modeling-weathering/fullers-earth-combo

On a side note Trooper bay also has the little bottle of  "Authentic Mos Eisely Sand" from the Buttercup Valley set. Though not Technically the real ME sand from Tunisia I thought it would be fun and nostalgic to buy the little bottle and throw it on for some "authentic" weathering :) $3 and is I was already buying the earth from them

I used fuller's earth on my first TD lid, and it worked fine after sealing it with hear spray. Liked it a lot.

But then opted to not use it and use a single pigment technique as I thought that would closer resemble the look of original Sandtroopers... That is how my weathering is done now.

And...  Rick Dirty Boy has been using some baseball rubbing mud  for some years now with amazing results. If that sounds interesting, maybe he will chime in soon, or just shoot him a PM if you feel like it.

Saludos 

I used four different shades of tile grout for my gear and sealed with hairspray as well, and I've been very pleased with the look.  It adds an element of texture that you don't necessarily get with paint. 

I doubt Fuller's Earth would look much different, but I had  spare grout laying around my garage.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Depends on the build. I think a combo of paint and fullers/grout looks best. The paint is good for doing the weathering details, specific patterns or shapes you are trying to recreate. The fullers and grout if good for just all over weathering and for giving everything a dusted look. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, MAXXTRAX77 said:

Makes sense. For swat level I’d have to replicate one sandtrooper, correct? Thus the paint application in which you are talking would make that a ton easier. Thanks 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, henselmonster said:

Depends on the build. I think a combo of paint and fullers/grout looks best. The paint is good for doing the weathering details, specific patterns or shapes you are trying to recreate. The fullers and grout if good for just all over weathering and for giving everything a dusted look. 

Best advice ever! I have not went to swat level yet, but I used a darker grey/black acrylic paint in the nooks and cranny's a little shape here and there. I used the sponge/paint brush on method with the fullers earth diluted in water and then cleaned lots off sponging and dabbing then finished up with the hairspray, dry brush/dry fullers spritz/dusting method came out great.