kidney plate notches

pdieken

my kit didn't have to notches removed from the bottom edge of the kidney plate.  do I need to make that change and if so how big do they need to be?

This is from the ANH Stormtrooper CRL and is a requirement for Level 3 only. I do not see the notch listed as a requirement for Sandtrooper, but you should add it anyway, in my opinion.

For level three certification (if applicable):
Squared cut-out sections at the lower left and right corners of the Kidney Armor.
The cut out is roughly 22 mm tall from the bottom and 22 mm in from the side.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If you had to shim your kidney, you can make the notches wider. The whole point of the notch is so the butt plate is flush with the bottom of the kidney and the top of the notch is flush with the ab piece. AP for example, includes a longer notch built into the mold. 

There's a planned update to the CRL for ANH Stormtroopers that hasn't made it onto the "live" CRL yet.

I believe TyWebb is correct that it is for Level 3 only.  Also, ONLY for armor that did not have a notch molded in by the manufacturer.

20160719125857-a1719a76-la.jpg

The discussion thread re the CRL update (which was approved, but again, has not yet been integrated in the main CRL page yet) is here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/36618-crl-change-discussion-kindey-notches-for-all-tk-costumes/

There are a lot of discrepancies between TK and TD armor, but IMHO we all need to look at it like this, if armor is built to Centurion TK level, you're not going to have any issue obtaining basic, PO, and SWAT level from a build perspective. The obvious differences are the knee plate, no shoulder bridges, E-11 holster, etc. We also have our caveats as well such as starting with level 2/Police Officer you  have to mimic the original strapping method (it doesn't have to be functional). 

I'll try to get a pic posted soon so you can see its looking like but looking at the diagram provided mine was actually molded with the butt plate and kidney plate exactly matching each other on the sides where they meet up

I'll try to get a pic posted soon so you can see its looking like but looking at the diagram provided mine was actually molded with the butt plate and kidney plate exactly matching each other on the sides where they meet up

• 11 months later...

Bringing this topic back, after a year, rather than start a new one.

Is the notch required for PO or SWAT, even if I don't need to shim, and my kidney and butt don't need to be trimmed back?

Working with AM 2.0 armor, for reference. Putting in the strapping brackets now, and it got me thinking.

Thanks!

Even though it doesn't say it in the CRL, the case for "core" armour consistently of TK & TD seems like a good idea to me.
Plus in this pic it looks like there is a vertical part to the kidney. Just doesn't line up nicely with the posterior.
Just my two cents.
acc9df14446fe310856012de4d4db994.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your kidney plate doesn't protrude past your butt plate, don't cut the notch out.  The idea of the notch that is moulded into the original armour is so it lines up with your butt plate. Cutting the notch into a kidney plate that is the length size as your butt plate just looks odd.

• 10 months later...

Ok, Im going to make the red cuts. One more question though, post #2 says 22mm x 22mm. My blue line is about 40mm. Should I make the cut even though its bigger than 22mm? Or should I make the notch smaller than the red lines to match up w/22mm?

48e54a605c14f772ee3893da28fb2bc5.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk