Backpack frame help.

Parkerfresh

OK, so I have had my backpack frame sitting around for a few week's and thought I would look into making a start on it.

81243499d408d4819dc9f07f0c431622.jpg

Its a vintage karrimor "kp" pack, not sure how accurate it is, but it was a good price. Now, I started looking into two crucial mods, the height and the bend (& height of bend)

I found conflicting info on both of these... I even spoke to a armourer and he basically claimed that backpacks don't need a bend and that it is not accurate to have one!?

I can't believe that as I've seen bends on almost every pack, so I can't understand why that was said?

Anyway... is there a definitive height that is the way to go? I'm talking total height from the "shelf" to the top black caps.

How high up do I do the bend and at what sort of angle?

Thanks in advance, Kev

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm no where near an expert but check out Strider's pack break down thread. I also think instead of bending the frame, they put the lower metal cross bar (the seed tray supports) on the inside of the frame (closest to your back) instead of on the top of the frame like the other cross bars.  

2 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

I'm no where near an expert but check out Strider's pack break down thread. I also think instead of bending the frame, they put the lower metal cross bar (the seed tray supports) on the inside of the frame (closest to your back) instead of on the top of the frame like the other cross bars.  

The original packs had a bend frame. What I did with my old pack was just a workaround but I would advise on bending it. You can do it fairly easily actually if you turn it around, stand with both feet on where you want the bend to be and slowly start teetering until you've reached the right bend. It's a little hard to explain, I might make a short video on it.

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Airborne Trooper said:

Yeah, us visual learners would appreciate it a lot! So what you're saying is the aluminum seed tray supports will sit on top of the frame and not have the one underneath once the correct bend is in place? 

Hehe, I'll do my best :) Re your question; yes. Although I haven't figured out yet how they attatched the original seed trays. They seem to sit directly on the frame without any metal strips  beneath to which they attatch. But this is just me though trying to get it as accurate as possible. You can of course just attatch the aluminium strips on the frame and attatch the seed trays on to them.

I've borrowed a pipe bender and have some 1" aluminium strips on their way as well as seed trays.

I plan to rivet 2 horizontal strips per seed tray, I just need to know total height of frame and bend height/angle.

Should I just but the bottom seed tray to the shelf, mark it at the top and bend by eye, or is there a specific location of the bend?

This is driving me mad! Haha

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:27 PM, Matsukioto said:

All you need to do is measure and find the middle of it, then bend it at a 30 degree angle. 

Checkout Skootch's backpack tutorial...You will see that he bends it right in the middle at 30 degrees http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/6474-howto-scootchs-backpack-tutorial/

PK33.jpg

I did my frame like that but instead of a single strip, I made it a bit more stable by adding 2 smaller straps for each box across the frame rather than a single one...

Just be careful... and try to visualice what you want to achieve. 

Many discoveries have been made regarding backpacks in the past 2 years, but we dont have a definite proof on many things yet.

That pvc frame and shape is based on eyeballing references. Even the angle is just an educated guess. But there has not been a proof found that definetely supports the idea of the bended frame. Not like that anyway. But... also, as we can see that the trays in a few packs are angled, we should consider to achieve such angle one way or another.

Regarding the height of the frame, unless you want to go the über accurate found part built, consider the height of your seedtrays and where you want to place them to achieve the look you are aiming for. Cause the height of the pack will be useless unless your trays fit that measurement.

Hope this helps more than it is confusing. 

I am in the process of building a new pack too at the moment. Still need to get the accurate packs to fit my Karrimore Tote'em frame, and the radio of course!

Saludos.