Back/Kidney gap

Caomhanach

I have a question to all the tall troopers out there, those over 6' at least...  It seems like I have an excess of gap between my back and the kidney plates so I am wondering what others have done? Is there am actual gap requirement (ie no or minimal gap - can't see one on the CRL other than the side gaps)? Don't want the top of the back plate being too far down my back...  Pictures would be great... 

Have you straightened out your backplate's shoulder straps?  I'm 6'3" and I don't have a gap wearing mine, although it's close to the limits.  Should be even easier with a TD than a TK since no plastic shoulder straps on top.

The "stock" bend of the backplate's shoulder "nubs" puts the plate way too high on most people.

1 hour ago, kman said:

Have you straightened out your backplate's shoulder straps?  I'm 6'3" and I don't have a gap wearing mine, although it's close to the limits.  Should be even easier with a TD than a TK since no plastic shoulder straps on top.

The "stock" bend of the backplate's shoulder "nubs" puts the plate way too high on most people.

That's what I am planning on doing certainly...  Found a good mod over on the FISD boards that I am planning on doing...  Thanks..

So - What's the length of your straps? I am getting between 5.5"-6" for mine even after I have heated the return edge...  Getting about an inch overlap on the front and about 1/2" gap at the back...

If you're addressing the question to me, I'm not sure, as I haven't measured... the size of the straps is whatever Anovos offered.  I definitely didn't shorten them during the build.

Here's a shot of my back, if it helps.  A few minor adjustment issues here, but nothing major, and the back is fairly clear.  (except one stupid shoulder strap wasn't in position)

20160606014711-c7795969-la.jpg

Okay, so here I am...  The front has about an inch overlap...  The back has 2" gap with the shoulder straps length of 5" and this is trimmed Anovos armor to the trim lines...

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Would the gap be okay for PO? It is tucked up high...  Is there a gap requirement (I have not seen one other than the side plates)...

There is nothing else I can do other than get other armor that would look too out of place...

1) Are the sides correctly aligned?  Can't see in the pics.

2) Is the cod absolutely as high as you can get it without changing your vocal pitch higher?

You've already straighten the back straps, right?

Sides are aligned (tied them up for now but are aligned...

Any higher and you can start calling me Michelle instead if Mike...! Actually, the only other thing there I can do is trim the return edge and heat it up to end it down both front and back but that would look strange,especially the front...

back straps are straight and if equal length...

Are you SURE the kidney and ab are aligned correctly?  On my kit, I wear the belt pretty much on the bottom of the kidney plate--yours is about the same difference up from that as your gap is wide.  Can you post a side view picture?

21 hours ago, Caomhanach said:

Sides are aligned (tied them up for now but are aligned...

Any higher and you can start calling me Michelle instead if Mike...! Actually, the only other thing there I can do is trim the return edge and heat it up to end it down both front and back but that would look strange,especially the front...

back straps are straight and if equal length...

I don't think you mentioned how tall you are?

If we're around the same height, it's also possible for proportions to be different... you may have a longer trunk and shorter legs, for instance, than I do, yet be the same height.  Looking at how the backplate is laying on your back, it looks pretty similar to mine.

As long as the ab/cod is truly as high as it can get (and while you don't want to sing soprano, you SHOULD be making contact and have it snug... think cup/jockstrap snug, as far as the twig and berries are concerned), you do have one remaining last-ditch option: Split the cod from the ab plate.  Then you get an extra inch (or three) of height, and move everything up, which brings the kidney plate up with it.  There's a limit to what you can do which this, since that bring the buttplate higher, too, and you can't have that digging into your crack, either, but it can probably at least get you an extra inch without a problem.  You can shim the connection between the ab and cod, just like any other shim, or some people even leave it flexible (which actually makes sitting and peeing possible!).  The new seam between the cod and ab plate is hidden behind the belt, so this is a permissible mod, for taller troopers.

All that said, cutting the cod is definitely a last-resort situation.

I'll get pics and post them some other time as I can't right now... I am 6' but with short legs (and long neck - lol well disproportioned)... I'll think about cutting cod giving me an extra inch but what I would want to know now, is as there is nothing in the CRL other than "little to no overlap on the kidney armor" if I submitted with this gap, can it be accepted or on what grounds would it not be accepted based on the CRL? I can lengthen the straps but how much under suit is allowed to be visible (esp when I wear the  Pauldron... 

So, to do... Side pic, lengthen scrap to 6", new pic with Pauldron on for better definition...

2 hours ago, Caomhanach said:

I'll get pics and post them some other time as I can't right now... I am 6' but with short legs (and long neck - lol well disproportioned)... I'll think about cutting cod giving me an extra inch but what I would want to know now, is as there is nothing in the CRL other than "little to no overlap on the kidney armor" if I submitted with this gap, can it be accepted or on what grounds would it not be accepted based on the CRL? I can lengthen the straps but how much under suit is allowed to be visible (esp when I wear the  Pauldron... 

So, to do... Side pic, lengthen scrap to 6", new pic with Pauldron on for better definition...

I would cut the cod as a LAST option.  Post the side/arms up pics and we'll work from there.  As a GML, I personally wouldn't pass it with a gap that big.  As others said, the butt plate looks too low, and the cod really is "right up in there" normally, just like an athletic cup, I suppose.

Okay - I had a little play...  Yes I can get the ab/butt/kidney up slightly to decrease the gap as shown...  There is a bit of an overlap but I'd rather have that than a big gap (Easier to play with)...  Comments? I think this will work and I don't think the amount of underarmor at the top would be an issue (unless others disagree) -  I specifically put on my pauldron to give everyone a better idea on the fit...  (btw - butt is still a little wide - not me honest! - and I need to heat it in more to fit...)

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

Much better.  Your belt needs to come down in the back.  You can bring the back plate up a bit so that it's more or less sitting on the kidney (I have about a 1/4 inch gap on mine).  It looks like you need to shorten the shoulder straps.That will be about perfect.

Yep, much better. Just gotta play around with the elastic connecting the front and back plates to get rid of the overlap on the back to kidney and you're golden like showers. You can do a little heat to fix the butt flare or add in some extra snaps using nylon.