Weathering with grout?

Parkerfresh

Has anybody had any experience weathering with tile grout? I work in the trade and deal with different powdered adhesives and grouts on a daily basis.

I'm thinking of putting together a few samples pots/bags to give out as testers if anyone is interested. I'm just wondering what colours people think would be the best options.

Now, I know fullers earth is right up there as the go to powder, but I figured this may be another option and If it takes off, I can get it cheap and pass the savings on. I look weathered every day at work, so I figured its worth a try!?

35a98544c29acec6fbc602b6f4f0caae.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sounds like an interesting alternative material. Would you just apply water to where you want it to stick , sprinkle it on then seal it after it dries? Great palette of colors to mix from if this can be used. Thanks for posting this. Hopefully some veteran members can share their thoughts on this.

I'm assuming that the tried and true hairspray method would be perfectly fine. The grout is of extremely fine powdery consistency... I'd say its on a par with flour. I'm thinking its definitely worth a punt.

I know its water resistant when used for its intended purpose, but not sure how it would cope on armour.

As for colours, that's just one brand from a particular rep that I like, there are loads more out there. Might be able to use the really cheap stuff from diy shops, although we don't deal with any of that rubbish, it could be OK for weathering?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I weathered my armor with tile grout using three different colors and hairspray, and it was good enough for SWAT. I like the realistic look it provides up close as it resembles sand. It's easy to use and if you don't like it, you can always sand it off and try again. Give it a try... I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

IMG_2074_zps04aa6040.jpg

From the colour chart above, is there 3 or 4 that stand out as being good options? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I like the four colors on the far right, personally!

• 4 weeks later...

This is an Awsome idea. I have some new armour parts coming and I just finished a complete kitchen reno. I have half a bag of grey morter and half a bag of beige grout left. I'm sure I can steal some hairspray from my daughters lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...