Is the MP-40 pouch required without a pack?

Greetings!

I'm fairly new, I've had a full set of armor for awhile and haven't been able to be approved because I was missing the shoulder pouches.

Now I have the shoulder pouches and realized that there's no effective way to attach them aside from looping it over the chest shoulder piece as I have learned.

I did some research and found out that the pouch is attached to the pack strap, and that Sandys in the movies without packs didn't have the shoulder pouch either.

So is the pouch required for trooping if you don't have a pack? It's not a big deal if it is, but I would like to know.

post-6998-0-08133300-1465757419_thumb.jp

I'll say yes and no.

Yes in the sense that the CRL requires it for approval. So you'll need it for a few minutes to take your submission pictures.

No in the sense that most here say if you are not wearing a pack, then don't wear it on the shoulder until you can attach it to your pack. I always wore mine to troops before I had a pack because I felt it better completed the look.

Once you get approved, you can really do what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Long time since I logged in here. And this is what I was looking for, the very first post I see.

This is really bugging me

Why is it required when it is not screen accurate? There isnt a way to accuratly attach the shoulderpouch without a pack...

Sent fra min D5803 via Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

This is one of the things we should look at getting changed on the CRL this year. I didn't have a pack when I got approved so I  literally used packing tape to hold it on my chest long enough to take my submission pictures. Luckily I had some time to get my Dirty Boy pack before my first troop though. 

Being sandtroopers some of the first characters for the 501st, some of the basic level CRL is based on what was standard at the time, more than 12 years ago.

Due to that, the CRL is not based on screen accuracy but in making it look easily identifiable.
We have had upgrades but some basic rules stay. As the shoulder pouch with or without pack.

Then the PO CRL strives towards unifying the looks. The whole program was thought to make sandtroopers look better and more consistent with movie looks.
Then comes the swat program shooting for strict screen accuracy up to the last detail on the looks.

So yes, we could change the level 1 CRL and probably will someday. But accuracy is not its goal. Just keep that in mind.

White armor Crls try to make it fairly accurate but more like unifying the looks. It is a polemic topic no doubt. Other characters are way more accurate in the basic level. Why? Don't really understand.

But we will get there some day. That's for sure.

Anyway, why stay level 1?
We are here to achieve better armor. So start 1, the go 2 and 3!!!

Saludos.

• 2 months later...

I've got my armor kit and am getting other parts together, so I wanted to clarify this.  The replies above make it sound like you need the shoulder pouch no matter what. The CRL says:

• The standard configuration calls for a minimum of two pouches:
    • one pouch on the left shoulder and one on the right hip.
    • A third worn on the opposite hip is allowed.
  • Option: If choosing to replicate a screen used configuration of equipment, the number of pouches may be altered.
    • See the MEPD SWAT page for more details.
    • Note: Screen used configurations also include specific color Pauldrons and individual backpacks styles. 

So, this reads like I don't need the shoulder pouch without the backpack if replicating Roadblock Captain, or one of the two Docking Bay 94 Captains. Is that correct? And does it only apply if I'm going for Level 3, or is it valid for Level 1?

Thanks for the clarification.

PS: I like the suggestion of using magnets to attach the pouch without the pack!

Actually, I was able to attach my shoulder pouch without using a backpack. I simply attached a zip-tie on the back of the pouch, and I slide it onto the chest piece/canvas strip when I don the armor. It does moce about a bit, but nothing too serious. Of course, this only works if the front and back chest-pieces can separate... ;)