Converting!

TriumphTrooper8

Looking great so far trooper. When i was going down the path for SWAT, my weathering changed so many times its not easy to count. I found that an acrylic wash as a base layer worked very well to rid my armor of the shine. After the wash was done wait 24 hours and do the detail weathering..  I followed pandatroopers oil and dirt method with a twist.. :td:

The wash is using a damp rag with your personal mix of acrylic paints applyed to the cloth in moderation.  Then dab, rub and move the paint around to get the dulled effect.. Im gonna have to make a video one of these days lol

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well it was time to get the backpack going.....

Kit is from Charlie Mann

Frame

IMG_5703_zpsfn6uuxta.jpg

Opted for some aluminum strapping in lieu of the abs....and then attached the Back of the seed tray boxes to the straps

IMG_5846_zpssmky3wq1.jpg

IMG_5845_zpspmf2ewup.jpg

Tool/Utility Box built

IMG_5909_zpszs8az4ev.jpg

Canteen

FullSizeRender%201_zpscjqnfgms.jpg

IMG_5945_zpsrjc4olms.jpg

Ready for paint!

IMG_5978_zpslfimnmzo.jpg

Radio......built storage bins and mounting for the MP3 player and Aker amp

IMG_5956_zpsc0c0lrh9.jpg

IMG_5957_zpslbdywkro.jpg

IMG_5958_zpspm4mbvm9.jpg

IMG_5962_zpspts8yqcq.jpg

IMG_5959_zpsox8cyrzg.jpg

Exhaust Port is finished and just need the holes drilled and mounted to the seed tray/box cover

IMG_5979_zps7vvg7toq.jpg

Cistern assembled and it needs mounting then paint!

IMG_5980_zpsu7fnmwkk.jpg

Upper bottle finished and it too needs mounting and paint

IMG_5981_zpsvgvlwrgi.jpg

I found this paint that has a blue-gray tint so I will post pics of how it looks.

IMG_5960_zps0b2uooqx.jpg

IMG_5977_zpscsemz7rh.jpg

With all this excitement on the back pack where I will have the radio chatter I needed to upgrade my amp/voice setup. My ast troop the cable going from the iComm to the amp decided to die. I gave it some thought and figured I would try out the speaker mic tips from TK10116.....fellow graduate of the academy. I had only one issue and it was 100% my fault. I dropped the mic tip and it broke. I found all the pieces and was able to put it back together! I mounted the amp and iComm using 3/4" black elastic webbing and then used zip ties on the extra wires. It works flawlessly and fit perfectly!

IMG_5955_zpsekp6rri9.jpg

IMG_5972_zpslied3nn7.jpg

IMG_5975_zpsqavdesgo.jpg

IMG_5976_zpsryvkpcjx.jpg

Made some more headway today. Started mounting things on the seed trays. The Intermediate Blue looks really nice!

Found the Wet Ones bottles I needed to replace the ones in the kit.

IMG_5982_zpslttmn1bi.jpg

Got to try out the Intermediate Blue paint. It goes on nice with a light followed by a heavy coat and its dry in 20 minutes. Outside it looks blue and inside it looks gray......If you go this route get a minimum of 3 cans. I ran out after spraying 1.5 bottles and the canteen with one can.

IMG_5984_zpss0j49w7q.jpg

Finished with an aluminum bracket mounted to the seed tray!

IMG_5987_zps13mzqsq7.jpg

Looking good so far!

IMG_5989_zpshqah3b6m.jpg

IMG_5990_zpsrnbdcvra.jpg

A little fun!

IMG_5991_zpsd7nla26n.jpg

Finally after looking over a bunch of pictures and asking around the cistern mounts above the seed tray. This should be fun to do!

IMG_5992_zpskjlyelxy.jpg

Your pack is looking really good, loving the progress.

One small note, the tube coming out of the faucet cover on the bottom of the pack looks a bit long.  You might want to recheck the measurement on that.

Can't wait to see the final product!

On 9/4/2016 at 5:31 PM, TriumphTrooper8 said:

Found the Wet Ones bottles I needed to replace the ones in the kit.

Just curious, but why did you replace the bottles from the kit?  Loving this thread, BTW!

Ok love so how many threads should I have hanging out there? ;)

Rick I replaced the bottles because they were not proportionally correct from the reference pictures I have looked at especially the top bottle next to the tool box and exhaust.

Also someone chime in on if the top of the hanging canteen get painted black like the bottom?

Another "quickie" in the afternoon ;) on this build.

On my way running around Frederick Maryland I went to a local Hobby store and there it was.........Zap-A-Gap, Zip Kicker and my Intermediate Blue Paint! SCORE!

IMG_5997_zps5vzeuzxw.jpg

I finished painting the upper bottle/canister. Then just for the **** of it mounted the cistern. I figured out from pictures of all the inconsistent back packs that there really is no one place for it to go. I used thru bolting and for the top inner tube area put a screw with a nut on the other side of a plastic strip so I could feed the bolt thru the hole. After all that I added a screw from the underside of the seed tray to keep it stable.

IMG_6001_zpsmwemuw8v.jpg

IMG_6002_zps5pob0quh.jpg

IMG_5999_zps1poma6rj.jpg

Here is the cheaper version of the "wet ones" you can buy from Target

IMG_5994_zpsos5ei6ua.jpg

Thru bolting of the cistern

IMG_6003_zpsmcdjddsj.jpg

The added safety screw.....

IMG_6004_zpsjmjrroeh.jpg

Getting there.........

IMG_6005_zpstlbh8osg.jpg

IMG_6007_zpsmpumwadk.jpg