What to do about adjusting side gap and removing rivets

I need to adjust my armor and add a 2-3 inch piece of shim to the kidney sections on both the right and left side.

post-6776-0-86348300-1462880888_thumb.gi

Do I pop out the rivets and redo them or affix the shim using snaps inside (I have a snap tool)

post-6776-0-36229000-1462881058_thumb.jp

making one side fixed and the other side float? both sides fixed? What if I get fatter? fixed would not be good.

Just looking for the best option and suggestions from you who have been there done that and how you would go about it now.

If I should remove the rivets, what is the best way to remove them? I don't want to crack the abs. Seems like I would have to use a lot of force to pry up the little ears that are bent over.

thinking towards MEPD and SWAT eventually so the look and fit and finish are important. How would you proceed? The armor is RS. if anyone know a good place to get the same rivets they use in the US that would be helpful too incase I need to redo them.

Thanks

There have been a few ways guys have done them. This is my preferred option and what I suggest. Remove the split rivets by bending the legs back up and pull the it out with pliers. Use ABS paste to fill in the holes. Add a backing plate using spare ABS or a for sale sign and put in a piece of ABS to close the gap. Use ABS paste to fill the seems and sand smooth. Drill new holes in the shim piece so it is 10mm from the top and edge and space evenly like before.

There have been a few ways guys have done them. This is my preferred option and what I suggest. Remove the split rivets by bending the legs back up and pull the it out with pliers. Use ABS paste to fill in the holes. Add a backing plate using spare ABS or a for sale sign and put in a piece of ABS to close the gap. Use ABS paste to fill the seems and sand smooth. Drill new holes in the shim piece so it is 10mm from the top and edge and space evenly like before.

I support a colleague.

Or acquire new items.

Elements - invite.

Thanks.

I have the rivets removed now and have some new rivets and ABS for the Shim on the way. Should I paste over all 6 original rivet holes and drill 6 new holes in the shim so that they are centered?

Also I have RS Propmasters armor, so where the two pieces meet up is rolled over/curved inward. What is the best way to transition this with the shim? just more paste and sand?

No you're only going to have the shim glued and in place on the kidney side so only the holes on the kidney will be filled. What I did was I made return edges on the top and bottom of my shims and also gave them a warm water bath so I could give them a slight curve by hand so they weren't so straight. where the return edges meet, I used ABS paste as well to blend in the seams.

Remember you want to make a shim on both sides of the kidney, not just one side. So when you measure your gap, divide that in half so you can make equal size shims.

No you're only going to have the shim glued and in place on the kidney side so only the holes on the kidney will be filled. What I did was I made return edges on the top of my shims and also gave them a warm water bath so I could give them a slight curve by hand so they weren't so straight. Remember you want to make a shim on both sides of the kidney, not just one side. So when you measure your gap, divide that in half so you can make equal size shims.

Got it.. I really appreciate your help!

I ordered this commission from RS propmasters and if I had to do it all over again I would not have paid for the commission (assembly), to date I have redone almost all of the strapping and have added my own custom weathering. Its been more of a hassle to undo and redo. It would have been much simpler to do the whole thing myself. Next project (Tusken Raider) I will definitely do all myself... may even make a Darth Vader for my 6'3 and still growing 16 year old. Either that or a Chewbacca, the kids going to be a giant :)

Again thanks for the tips. I like the heating and rolling the edge I'll do that.

The return edge was made with my hobby iron. Sorry that you're having to make modifications to an RS! I absolutely love their kits, especially the bumpy helmets. If I could afford one I would have it in a heart beat. Just need my kids to be out of diapers and stop drinking so much milk and I could afford it maybe lol.

The return edge was made with my hobby iron. Sorry that you're having to make modifications to an RS! I absolutely love their kits, especially the bumpy helmets. If I could afford one I would have it in a heart beat. Just need my kids to be out of diapers and stop drinking so much milk and I could afford it maybe lol.

Congrats! Enjoy them while they're young.. before you know it they're all grown up and ready to head out and explore the world on their own, that and there moody :) I'm gonna miss my youngest (the 16 yr old) when he's off to college.

Anyway..I have an iron too. but its one for burning wood. I hope it will work. I use it to burn the holes in the plastic for the snaps and rivets etc. it has several diff size tips. Not sure if I can set it low enough but I am sure I can get it figured out how to make the rolled edge.