T-21 scratch build Mk3

Ok guys I desperately need some help!! I'm at breaking point on this build. As you know I've already nearly ripped my thumb off my hand now I'm about to blow my brains out

I've gone with the 76mm main barrel with the 1.5mm wrapping. For my inner barrel I've gone with 41mm and 36mm pipe. And as you can see from pics below I can't achieve the look needed!

What size barrel do I need? I really want this build to be as spot on as I can get but I'm starting to feel it's beyond my reach now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan, your best bet is 3" pipe for the main barrel and 2.5" pipe for the smaller tapered bit. You can get lengths of both in alloy off eBay. Once you've got it, make a tapering by fitting thin bits of wood or plasticard on the outside of the 2.5" pipe and sliding it inside the 3" pipe and glue it in place where you need it, then taper the gaps with body filler.

Once it is all sorted and sanded use 1mm fishing wire or similar to do the wrap.

I'll show you pics of mine when I get home.

Hope it helps

5xucqq.jpg

I'm ok with the main barrel thanks mate, it's the inner barrel I'm using that I'm having problems with. Lee's been in touch and pointed me in the right direction but thanks anyway.

I'm just finding it all very frustrating as I want to get to the best possible standard and accuracy but I just can't seem to get near!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Looking really good bro!

I am planning to update my T21 any day now, adding the barrel texture. So far have thought of two alternatives: fishing line or wire... 

Any thoughts of cons and pros based on your experience?

And... did you use any kind of glue to keep the line in place?

Thx for any help.

Saludos.

• 3 years later...
On 5/14/2016 at 1:06 PM, nick.black said:

Once it is all sorted and sanded use 1mm fishing wire or similar to do the wrap.

On 5/14/2016 at 3:31 PM, berkal said:

Thanks for using my build as a reference. It's a real compliment. Drop me a line, Ryan. I think I might be able to help you out if your tired of chopping your own hands off.

On 5/22/2016 at 1:01 PM, Flashover said:

So with my one good hand I've had another go at creating bevelling to the barrel. It's not perfect but it's much better than my first attempt

C0FC1C69-956B-4D1F-AFEF-5191C4A13134_zps

On 11/17/2016 at 4:45 PM, iconoclasta_88 said:

I am planning to update my T21 any day now, adding the barrel texture. So far have thought of two alternatives: fishing line or wire... 

Any thoughts of cons and pros based on your experience?

And... did you use any kind of glue to keep the line in place?

I know this thread hasn't seen any action in four years, but can any of you four fine gentlemen provide me with your expertise on what wire of fishing line to use for the barrel texture, what length to purchase, and also the adhesion, wrapping, and painting techniques you used for your own builds? I'm starting my own T-21 build and had initially planned to add the texture by rough grit sanding the pipes on a DIY power-drill lathe, but I'm now intrigued by this option. It appears to be time-consuming, but I suspect very worthwhile compared to simply having a smooth barrel. Are there other alternatives to consider? Thanks in advance! -Caleb