Installing sniper knee - opinions

pandatrooper

I was having a discussion with a friend who wants to build a TD and he was researching sniper knees.

On my build I made an insert "box" that completely filled the backside of the knee to make it look solid instead of hollow.

Do people prefer the hollow look and install it with a few shims of plastic? Or do you like the solid look?

Screen accurate wise, I believe it was hollow.

Thoughts?

I kept it simple and just attached a few spare strips of ABS so it would sit flush with the shin.

My take is, the only way it matters is from the front as that is where the pictures are taken from. No one will be able to tell looking at pictures.

Hi Paul, I just back filled mine with a plate so that I could mount it to the shin.

When you glue yours, do you glue plastic shims or something under the knee so that the glue has something to grip to?

I filled mine with wood and ABS all trimmed to the shape of the knee. Then filled in the gaps I had with epoxy.

After that I glued three strips of ABS (so the plate sits a bit away from the shin) and then scewed it all in place (so I can remove it if need be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do people prefer the hollow look and install it with a few shims of plastic? Or do you like the solid look?

Screen accurate wise, I believe it was hollow.

Thoughts?

I prefer the hollow.

My plate kept popping off, after a few experiments with different ways of attaching it, the rocket engineer made a spring set up so it would still have some flexibility, but would still stay in place.

Hey there,

Does anyone have pics of how they installed their plates?

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=14057#entry178284 - this is how my plate is set up.