Berkal and Johno's mkI ultra-realistic 3D printed T21 build

Of late there has been a lot of interest in the T21 blaster, not least because if its recent appearance in the new Rogue One teaser trailer and for my part, for the past several weeks, if not months, I have been trying to design and build the most realistic and detailed T-21 blaster possible. Using my background as an architect and designer the end goal has been to arrive at the very next level in accuracy for our Sand Troopers. I have previously designed 3D parts for friends including a Dredd Lawgiver.

Based on reference photos (thanks alsol to Machine for his excellent collection), blueprints, technical manuals, as well direct measurements from a real Lewis I have painstakingly recreated the details of the gun as a 3D CAD model from which a kit of prototype parts has been 3D printed from PLA plastic.

This has not been a short process. This has been a tale of trial and error; of research and diligence, designing and redesigning each individual part sometimes several times in order to best represent the real deal with as few compromises as possible made whilst at the same time designing to facilitate the limitations of the materials and the 3D printing technology. And we are still not quite there I think.

Each part is, I would like to say, currently around 95% accurate in terms of dimensions and details and an ongoing work in progress likely taking a few iterations to get it to the 99% level of accuracy I would like it to be.

This has been a project with my buddy Johno who has been carrying out the initial base build of the mkI T21 Lewis and I thought I would share our progress to date for your enjoyment.

Here we go:

It starts with around 40 individual component parts…

WP_20160408_10_04_51_Pro%202.jpg

Detail of receiver section…

WP_20160408_09_58_11_Pro%202.jpg

Dry fit of the main sections: receiver and barrel built around 20mm aluminium tubing…

WP_20160405_16_16_55_Pro%202.jpg

Stock mkII: wood grain detail and prototype wood filament print…

DSC_0016.jpg

Blaster fitted, assembled, bonded, and primed…

DSC_0006.jpg

Some detail of top of receiver...

DSC_0009.jpg

Various other details…

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

The overall weight of the blaster is a svelte and very troopable 2kg.

The next build version will feature a smoother barrel without the visible faceting, and will be able to be disassembled for travel/storage.

We are also developing a version which will feature a working bolt and cartridge feed action.

I want to again thank Johno for assisting with the build. We have come a long way in a short time.

​More as it progresses...

Looking good Joel, Got a V2 barrel reducer printing as I speak.

As for the V1 prototype It wasn't so much hit the ground running but definitely a learning curve. I need to swap the front end as I messed up printing the gas block part of the barrel and cheated instead of just printing a new section Joel cut the file where I messed up his amazing work (one for the curve, If the print fails 5 hours in just reprint it don't try and botch it) That's why there's all the bondo on the barrel.

Not a great deal of care was taken by myself to build the kit as it was just really to see if the parts worked as a print and fit together. That said It's turned out really nice and the V2 can only get better.

Initially I primed the whole thing with grey then gave it a coat of silver before hitting it with matt black . The stock and grips where done with Halfords dark brown from there camo range and weathered with some black acrylic. All the parts that would be metal where done with silver rub n buff (got Spanish copper RnB for screw heads, sling swivel and oil bottle).

I really can't say enough how much effort, time and hard work Joel put in on this project (and still is) but it's paying off, the work that's coming off my printer is amazing.

I got the easy part of the deal, I just load some files and hit play

• 2 weeks later...

Blaster more or less finished with just a few minor finishing touch details to add such as screws etc. Let me know what you think.

Here we go...

Right side:

WP_20160426_22_47_28_Rich%202.jpg
Left side:
WP_20160426_22_46_50_Rich%202.jpg
More detailed photos to follow.