Radio Face Plate project

TD-1536

Since we now have smaller, accurate main boxes, we need a new radio face plate to go with it.

Well, I thought I'd give it a shot and I'm making some decent progress.

As you'll see, I've already done two attempts and a mold/casting job in silicon and resin. However, the results are not as perfect as I would like. Essentially, I'm sculpting in dense, urethane foam, then coating it with polyseter resin to give it a hard, smooth shell. Then I sand and wet sand for a smooth surface. But, on the two models I've done so far, I don't think I used enough polyester resin to make a really smooth surface. I'll fix that with my third attempt.

Here's the models, silicon mold and one resin pull. Usable, but not perfect.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the resin pull sized up with the new pack in construction.

Posted Image

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Mike! I sent you that domed part, so hopefully it is of some use during refinement.

Now for my constructive criticism.

Firstly; I think where you used the little distortion pedal knobs (am I right ) there should be holes. I don't think they are raised.

Secondly; the knobs on the right seem too tall. That, like everything else is arguable of course, but I'm just throwing my opinion out there.

Looking good Mike! I sent you that domed part, so hopefully it is of some use during refinement.

Now for my constructive criticism.

Firstly; I think where you used the little distortion pedal knobs (am I right ) there should be holes. I don't think they are raised.

Secondly; the knobs on the right seem too tall. That, like everything else is arguable of course, but I'm just throwing my opinion out there.

Distortion pedal knobs they are! Boss Heavy Metal Pedal, actually.

Looking at this picture, they look like little toggle switches. I might leave those off and use ones available from Radioshack, just stick them on after the face plate is formed. The other knobs all need to be refined like you said. And the hole on the top left needs to be bigger, too.

Rob is on his way over, and we'll throw around some more ideas tonight.

great progress, mike!

here´s a little help from my side...

Posted Image

i believe the small knobs were kinda like these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the fat knob in the right upper corner has a small lip under the knob like here:

Posted Image

sorry guys

but can´t say it in english to rocko

rocko

denke nicht daß es sich um kippschalter handelt

schau mal genau hin

es sieht eher aus, als wären es schiebeschalter

1. sie stehen senkrecht

2. unter ihnen ist eine längliche bahn mit runden enden

i said to rocko that the switches aren´t wip switches

looks like switches wich you have to pull up and down

is sliding the right word for them?

don´t know

cause if we look at the angle of the switches they´re standing 90 degrees angle from the surface

wip switches have other angles

and the line on the bottom of the switches lookin like the way the switches can be move up and down

hope you understand

and the fat knob in the right upper corner has a small lip under the knob like here:

Posted Image

we're on the same wavelength here. The volume knob on my Stereo receiver looks just like this and would be a perfect model. I might isolate it and pour some silicon over it.

...i said to rocko that the switches aren´t wip switches

looks like switches wich you have to pull up and down

is sliding the right word for them?

don´t know

cause if we look at the angle of the switches they´re standing 90 degrees angle from the surface

wip switches have other angles

and the line on the bottom of the switches lookin like the way the switches can be move up and down

hope you understand

I'm going to visit Radioshack (electronics store) this weekend and try to find the appropriate knob.

we're on the same wavelength here. The volume knob on my Stereo receiver looks just like this and would be a perfect model. I might isolate it and pour some silicon over it.

and later... why the stereo doesn´t work??? MIKE!!!! STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR TOYS AND FIX THE STEREO!!!

hehehe LOL

sorry hehe my girlfriend tells me that very often hahahaha

Made some more progress today! I think I got a nice solid sculpt for the radio, and I went ahead and did the scoop part and hamburger stacker dome. I'll finalize these parts tomorrow and look into getting them vac-formed. The knobs on the radio will be add-on parts.

In one of the pics, you'll see the silver knob on the stereo reciever that might get a new lease on life.

Posted Image

Posted Image