LoveMonkey's Pack Build

LoveMonkey

Update time. This one is going to be longer, so kudos for anyone who sticks through it all. And I apologize for the lack of updates, but personal life has been crazy and I haven’t had as much time for this build or updating this thread as I would like.

Joker%20Meme_zpsrqummssu.jpg

A few weeks ago I tried my idea on the tool box of filling it with insulation foam to make it a bit more sturdy. I also attempted to hand-construct the exhaust port. Neither went very well. The exhaust port turned out very boxy and square looking and I used too much insulation foam in the tool box, making the box really bulge once the foam expanded (I guess that’s what happens when you’ve never used insulation foam before). The tool box also turned out very boxy and square looking as well and I just wasn’t happy with the way either turned out. After I pulled the tool box apart, I even found uncured foam in the middle due to the large amount I applied.

Needless to say I went back to the drawing board. I stopped all work and I spent some time researching, researching and researching some more. The build was feeling a lot harder than it should be and I wanted to research to figure out how to make it easier.

After all the research, I decided to switch packs and make pack #4.

Falcon%20takeoff_zpsscuqikhd.png

Pack%204_zpsnyeqqvj7.jpg

It appeared that it will be much easier for someone of my ability and funds to make. The shotgun shells should be very easy compared to the exhaust port and the tool box is a Tuppercraft piece from eBay, so no fabrication there either. I think with this pack I should hit my goal of being deployed here.

Lastly, before I get to the pictures, here is a list of the supplies I’m using for anyone who wants a nice, compiled list. It’s not a complete list but contains some of the bigger items:

1. Schedule 40 PVC ½” by 10 feet (used for frame and shotgun shells)

2. Medium Park Seed Trays - http://parkseed.com/product.aspx?p=v1589&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ppc_google_pla&CAWELAID=1826529080&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120019310000289812&cadevice=c&gclid=CLzssqCfgMwCFQuPaQodow8Bbw

3. 2” ABS pipe by 5 feet (for mortar tube) - http://www.lowes.com/pd_42368-1814-ABS+03200++1000___?productId=3134473&pl=1&Ntt=abs+pipe

4. Leftover thermal detonator ends and plate (for mortar tube)

5. 2 Vitamin bottles that my kids use

6. Mushroom Cups (can be found on eBay, search tupperware by the following numbers: 755, 754, or 733)

7. Tuppercraft 767-1 Stow N Go container

8. Radio faceplate from da_prop_maker

9. Tupperware pitcher lid from da_prop_maker

10. Cistern from gordonator

Now, after all that, here are some updates with pictures. I’ve got the primer drying, so hopefully the weather will clear up and I can paint this week.

998CC8D8-0A6B-4F44-AFD9-1C2F6A118733_zps

2FCA49F4-3E6C-4D07-AEAE-7C55875FABD5_zps

My goal is to have this finished this weekend so I can submit my PO application as well. Here’s to hoping. I’ll try and take more pictures this weekend, since I’ve been lacking so far.

Good choice on the vitamin bottles :thumbsup: Will you be picking up a black pauldron now too?

Unless I'm completely mistake, I don't have to match pauldron, weapon, pack for deployed status. Since my goal is deployed and not SWAT, I'm going to keep the orange. Plus I love the look of the orange pauldron.

I put that picture there simply as a reference for what pack #4 looks like. The details are easier to see than in the screenshot.

Small update here. I spent some time yesterday getting the paint on all the pieces. It's been quite overcast/rainy/windy around here, so getting this to work out has been tricky. Thankfully With the new patch run open from Gordonator, I have extra motivation to get this done and get my deployed application in so I can get all the patch rockers and tabs I want.

4D5C621A-4AE7-484F-BB72-762A747A70E9_zps

83AA37C7-C861-4B1D-8274-29D72517AF72_zps

Hopefully more picture to follow this weekend. I'm hoping to have it fully assembled by Sunday night.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had pictures for you all but I don't. I'm almost done, just working on attaching and mounting everything. Hope to have it done in the next few nights after work.

The one issue I'm having is with the Gordonator cistern. I followed Pandatrooper's guide in getting it modded correctly. I'm a bit stuck on how to mount it. I've thought about zip ties but I can't decided if I should go through the seed tray and around the cistern or drill a hole through it for a better attachment. Any suggestions?

Also, in attaching the blue bottle to the bottom of the cistern (following Panda's guide), it seems very loose and wobbly. It's not a very tight connection at all. Any suggestions on that as well?

Small update (no pictures thought :whistling: ). Most of the pieces have been attached to the seed trays. The only big things left to do is attach the seed trays to the frame, attach the cold water faucet to the bottom and then paint touchups and weathering. It is so close to being done and I can't wait. I think it's going to look great.

Pictures and final build details to come this weekend.

Best way I found was to drill two small holes on back of cistern (about 4mm down the tubes) and run a zip tie through. Doing it that little bit lower lessens the risk of cistern cracking in transit or wear.

Update time. Here it is:

721D329E-D852-4AF1-AFB9-B222AAF7C8FA_zps

Only things left to do is paint touchups/weathering and attach the backpack straps. It feels so good to be almost done and I think it looks great.

Here's to hoping it passes for my deployed submission.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/1/2016 at 3:12 AM, LoveMonkey said:

As I’ve heard many times, your armor is never truly done. That being said, it is now time to start my Sandtrooper backpack build. A Sandy just isn’t complete without one and it really sets the Sandtrooper apart from being just a dirty TK.

I have a few goals in mind for my pack as I start. In order, they are:

1. Cost - This is the biggest issue for me. I’m in the middle of finishing my basement and I’ve had a few unexpected expenses come up. Plus, after spending a bit of money on my armor, I’ve got to keep the cost down for my wife. So I’ll be trying to make this pack look great at the lowest cost possible.
2. Weight - One of the biggest concerns I’ve heard from other troopers who have a pack or have used one in the past is the weight during events and the strain on the shoulders and back. So while attempting to keep the pack cost-efficient, I will also be trying to keep it as light as possible and save weight everywhere possible. We’ll see how that goes.
3. Screen Accuracy - Although this is the last point, I still want my pack to be as screen accurate as possible. Why spend so much time on this if it doesn’t look great? So while I’ll be focusing on cost and weight, I’ll also try to make it accurate.

In the end, it has to be practical for trooping, especially for long periods of time. We’ll see what I come up with.

With all that being said, here is the pack that I will be basing mine on.

Pack%20Guide_zpsar9ludtw.png

I started of course, with the frame. I decided to use Schedule 40 PVC due to the low cost ($2 for 10 feet) and easy availability. It might be heavier that other pipes but I don’t think it will be too much more in the long run. I used the following guide (http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=1688) in determining how to make my cuts and bends. I used my wife’s hair dryer to heat the PVC and put the 30 degree bend in. It worked pretty well. Here is the end result.

IMG_3410_zps9eam9uwm.jpg

IMG_3409_zpsxievifkk.jpg

IMG_3408_zpssl7yct1o.jpg

The next piece I began to fabricate was the tool box. I went to Home Depot and found 10x14” thin aluminum signs for about $1.28 each. Made my marks and cut away. Should provide sturdy edges with minimum weight.

IMG_3411_zps09bfboxs.jpg

IMG_3413_zpsmgf3jqcb.jpg

After making my cuts, I wanted to try using some styrofoam as corners. I had this lying around from my son’s Christmas present. I thought for sure this would save me a lot of weight.

IMG_3412_zpsagol5siw.jpg

Applied some E6000 and waited about 20 minutes. When I went back out to the garage and began cleaning up my work area, I tried to move the styrofoam/metal. The styrofoam fell right off and I found that the E6000 had eaten away the styrofoam, leaving a nice, large divot. Who knew styrofoam and E6000 don’t like each other, right?

I’ll be heading to Home Depot to get some small pieces of wood to use for corners instead in the next few days (square dowels is what I’m thinking). Once the corners are glued, I plan on filling the box with insulation foam to give the box some density and strength while also keeping the weight down.

More on this build to come. It will be a much slower build as money is tight for me right now.

Was looking to check out this build by Lovemonkey but I am un able to access the link to topic 1688 that was mentioned in his original post. Really hoping to get info on the pvc backpack frame.

Asher