The field pack broken down into its components

Strider

What are the dimensions of the exhaust port? Would be helpful as I begin to fabricate mine.

I've updated the original thread with the dimensions >>> http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=14413#entry181491

But if you are using a smaller frame or seed trays you might need to adjust the dimensions of your exhaust port as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Is there a reason why you took out the crossbars that come naturally on the frame?

I only cut off the upper bar to adjust the size of the frame to the original proportions. There were no other bars inbetween that could hold the trays.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump - what is the rough dimensions of the mortar tube and the tool box? 

I saw somewhere the outer diameter of the pipe/tube is about 2.5 inches / 63.5mm. What is the overall finished length? Rough estimate, because I know the different pack have different lengths. 

6 hours ago, Fraulein said:

Sorry to bump - what is the rough dimensions of the mortar tube and the tool box? 

I saw somewhere the outer diameter of the pipe/tube is about 2.5 inches / 63.5mm. What is the overall finished length? Rough estimate, because I know the different pack have different lengths. 

The outer diameter of the mortar tube is around 67mm. I would generally go for someting between 65 and 70mm. From the top of my head I'd say the "general" length is around 75cm but as you noted this is pack specific.

Strider, I value your opinion and currently upgrading my pack as well. What is yours and the rest of  the SWAT panel's stand on the tool box? Keep using the project enclosure that everyone has been using for quit some time or has it been decided that it's a tupperware box?  Asking for pack 3

Hi guys,

by my reckoning the tool box on the original pack had dimensions around 21x16x10 (HxWxD). These are roughly the dimensions of the crashman sonix radio (HxW). I'm currently updating my pack as well because a lot of the stuff hadn't had the right dimensions. I will update this thread accordingly then.

We don't know yet what the tool box originally was. One theory is that is was a tupperware fresh n cool box but I haven't found one yet that's even close to the measures above.

Cheers

10 hours ago, Strider said:

Hi guys,..... One theory is that is was a tupperware fresh n cool box but I haven't found one yet that's even close to the measures above.

Cheers

Metric - 21x16x10 (HxWxD).     Imperial  (rounded up/down) 8.25 X 6.25 X 4 

I can go check my vintage Tupperware resources. It may have been one of those lunch boxes with the folding handles. The dimensions on those is roughly 10 x 7 x 5. Or it could have been Tupperware's Tuppercraft Stow N Go - which is listed as 8x5.75x3 . But finding Tuppercraft items is a little more $$ than the regular Tupperware.

There was also a similar size for transporting cupcakes (I don't know if that is what it was for, but that was what we used it for.) They were stackable. IIRC It stacked four. 

Edit - there is a Tupperware/Tuppercraft Stow N Go #1579 which has the dimensions of 8 X 5.75 X 3. 

The problem with the tupperware measures is that they are usually measured from the outer edges. The dimensions above refer to the dimensions on the top which can deviate quite a bit. To examplify:

20160802_070146_resized_zpsp6vpdwvq.jpg

20160802_070157_resized_zpstciizcmg.jpg

Plus they may not have used tupperware after all. I have a different theory but not enough evidence to lay down my case just yet ;-)

Also keep in mind that when you're using a tool box with those dimensions it may look out of proportions next to a radio that does not have the original measures of 24x19cm.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 16.9.2016 at 5:22 PM, Airborne Trooper said:

For us guys trying to build a more accurate pack, what do you suggest we go with now. Assuming we upgrade to the larger radios that are being offered. 

I would definitively go with one with accurate measures. There are currently two different vendors that offer them and a third coming up shortly (based in the US).

Oh ok, I just got a sandie comms radio. According to your dimensions it's a bit short but more accurate than what I had. I just received my new seed trays, mushroom caps, and mortar pieces from T76. Trying so hard to get this new pack finished. 

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking, why not create a seperate topic where you create a visual guide per backpack in it's own specific components.

This would make it even more easier for new members to check what they need for their pack build.

A bit like the breakdown per different sandtrooper as wa s created years ago.

:salute:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am building my pack currently and have almost finished, just considering options on the radio, intake tube and flask. Any suggestions on where to get these if i decide not to build myself?

Hi,

I am building my pack currently and have almost finished, just considering options on the radio, intake tube and flask. Any suggestions on where to get these if i decide not to build myself?

I 3D print the flask (aka canteen)695af2c7e26297c3347506a5927105ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, jeddz said:

Hi,

Hi,

@crashmann offers very nice replicas of the canteen flasks and @RedBeard an excellent radio with the corrects dims.

Cheers

• Upvote 1