3D printing parts for backpack

RedBeard

I have a quick question fellas. I'm working with another member who's a sand trooper (I'll be ordering my armor next week), and I'm 3D printing as much of the backpack as I can, for both weight, durability and cost...oh, and detail :) So, I couldn't find a 4" tupperware pitcher lid, and wanted it more sturdy than a vacuform, so I designed one today...I want to make sure I got it right before I print it. TBH, I'm just starting here, and you guys are intimidating as **** when it comes to this stuff lol. Anyway, its 4" dia. with the backer being 1/8" larger. From what I read in another post, that was the measurements. How does it look?post-6752-0-07837100-1454104365_thumb.pn

Looking great dude! But this part is still available so it would be difficult to make business with that.

A new radio faceplate (a bigger one) would be great:-) Ask Strider, Dirty Boy or Crashman for more details...

Cheers!

Looking great dude! But this part is still available so it would be difficult to make business with that.

A new radio faceplate (a bigger one) would be great:-) Ask Strider, Dirty Boy or Crashman for more details...

Cheers!

I wasn't thinking about making money with it (at the time)...I just wanted to make sure it looked right. I am also working on the radio face plate :)

Hi Michael,

nice job on the radar dish! But as Felice noted if items are still available nothing beats cast from original. It's great to hear that you're working on the radio plate - please feel free to ask for feedback or input any time! Also if you haven't seen it yet you might want to take a look at a thread I posted some time ago abo the correct dimension of the radio >>> http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=13958&hl=

Last but not least, here's a comparison shot for your radar dish:

20160130_221908_resized_zpsyv3fe1i6.jpg

Cheers

I too had a tough time finding an exact 4 inch lid but found that people selling the vintage pitchers had lids measured at 4 1/4 inches. I have one and it looks fine. Plus it fits well with the rubber sanding wheel backing I bought at the home center. If you are still interested in a vintage pitcher lid, just find as many of the 1 quart pitchers being sold on ebay and ask each seller to measure the lid size. I found two seller a week back that had them and was willing to sell just the lid. Takes a bit of time but you can certainly get one that is 4 1/4 inches.

Love the 3D model though. As Strider mentioned, a new radio faceplate with the measurements stated in the linked post would be a great project to work on. If I had the skills I would but I am useless with all this new 3D modeling.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Thanks for the advice guys. Originally I searched and found some, but I figured if I could model it, then it would be easy to replace if something happened to it. If it broke while trooping, bam!...2 hours later I could have a new one :) But I do see your point on the originality though...I'll go that route. When I get done modeling the radio, I'll throw them up on here for you guys to critique...I want them perfect :)

Okay...now I got a problem. I'm working on the radio faceplate, and I'm finding a few different sizes. I looked in the CRL and it says that the accuracy is 'loosely allowed', but how much? One pack shows that it measures 240mmX190mm, and another is 222mmX165mm....that's the difference of a few inches, so is there a right one? Or does it just have to be in the ballpark of those? I also found a print that someone did of it, which was awesome. I loaded it in SketchUp, and it comes out to 260mmX190. I just want to make sure before I put hours into making this lol.

Michael, try reading through the link posted below. Strider posted another link in his post to longer story about a found radio and measurements. I am fanscinated by the radio and it rarity and love it when someone tries to replicate it. I really wish another one could b found and casted at one point but that just wishful thinking.

really looking forward to your 3D model and hope you nail all the details.keep posting updates when you can!

http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=56013&start=20

Michael, try reading through the link posted below. Strider posted another link in his post to longer story about a found radio and measurements. I am fanscinated by the radio and it rarity and love it when someone tries to replicate it. I really wish another one could b found and casted at one point but that just wishful thinking.

really looking forward to your 3D model and hope you nail all the details.keep posting updates when you can!

http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=56013&start=20

It says that only active 501st members can access that area...I'm not there yet :( If you or someone could get me the info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anyway, when I finish this, and it meets to everyone's approval, I'll do whatever I can to get this cast so that the masses can have it without needing a 3D printer.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my file for the radio faceplate if you want to save yourself somework. ;)

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=13823&hl=

I saw yours before I started, and loved it. Since I'm an intermediate level modeler, I wanted to see if I could do it. Plus, there were a couple small changes I wanted to make to it, to look more like Zenix's model. I also saw someone make theirs functional with music, so I'm making mine adaptable, if someone wanted to wire it up. I got a buddy that wants to resin cast it as well.

Off to a great start, bro!

However, there are a couple of areas that would need further refinement:

- The overall dimensions are not quite right

- The levels of the different areas are of different height. The lower part where the speaker sits definitively needs to come up but there are also level differences in the upper parts

- The larger knob is a littel bit off

- The little round things in each corner do not stick out

Here are some pics for illustration:

FoundSonix01_zpsu0rlym24.jpg

r15_zps4autcm94.jpg

r17_zpsezol4ycw.jpg

Keep up the good work, bro!

Cheers

Thank you! I knew there was something on that speaker that I was not getting right. The corner things looked like domes to me lol...I'll get that changed. As far as the dimensions go, I've seen three different sizes, so I wasn't sure which one was right. I'll redo the box and fit them to the 240mm X 190mm.

Nice job, buddy - getting closer and closer :)

Next round of refinements, here we go:

- The large radio knob: The outher part with a slope (when you look from the front) is a bit too wide and the inner part should have and an inward slope

- The two rectangulars where the 2 smaller knobs sit on have a lower level than the 2 rectangulars on the left of them

- Looking at the speaker part on the bottom. On the lower left tile there is an indention for the Sonix Victory plaque. It's not on the other pics I've showed you for reference because they are from a clone from "North Star" which differs in some details.

- The upper and middle tiles do not seem to extend to the very end of the ground plate, I would give them about 1mm of space

- Lastly I would also try to emulate the "covers" on the sides of the speaker, maybe raise them up by 0,5mm

Here, this reference may help to illustrate the points above:

radio_sonix_victory_75_gray_zpsno4kemi2.

Really excited about your build - happy to place the first order :)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

ugh...I would've been done by now, but that dial is giving me the **** fits. I didn't realize how complicated it would be lol. I'm still working on it though!

Keep it up, it will look great when it's done.