Vintage Toilet Syphon

Bulldog44

I was able to find a UK vintage bathroom supplier who had a limited stock of these vintage toilet syphons. It was a lot of work and communication to finally get one in hand.

Please go to BrokenBog.com and contact Sam Powel regarding the syphons. He knows what we are looking for and may still have a few left. He has a huge property full of vintage bathroom supplies and it took him a few months to collect just several of them from his stock. Sam seems to be a busy guy so please be ready to wait for his replies. Often he is so busy he never gets back to you but if you send a reminder here and there he will respond. I eventually called him from Japan and he was really helpful on the phone. I would warn though not to overload him with tons of requests as he may all together not be as willing to help our cause which is why I originally refrained from posting this info.

Hope he can find more for anyone looking for one. Good luck!

http://www.brokenbog.com/

Thanks Strider. I do feel bad not being able to share this with the greater community sooner but I hold hope more stock of these syphons will be found at Broken Bog. I was able to get the shorter version not the longer one. Hard to tell which one is closest to the screen use ones but I think either is a great one to have for a field pack.

Black%20Syphons_zpsw2ynb2af_1.jpg

Btw, did he share any information where he got those from? I mean I wouldn't ask the guy about the name of his supplier but it would be interesting to find out whether these are the real deal (i.e. real vintage ones) or if they were somehow recasted from an old one.

Btw, based on the dimensions/proportions I would go (and went :) ) for the right one.

I never asked the guy where he got them from but I assume he purchased large overstock from small time shops here and there. Plus I imaging some of the stuff comes from used bathroom parts. But the syphon I have is old but not used as Machine said. Looks too authentically aged to be a recast.

The reason I decided on the small one was because I thought the long pipe part on the screen used syphon is not even length if you compare the top half and the bottom half. Plus I also considered the measurements of Big Reds sonix radio which measures 240mm . That is just about the same length as the smaller syphon from the bottom flange to the top seam line . Not sure the radio measurements are 100% proof but I tried to use those two references. Also Machine posted some great photos with relative proportions on the screen packs and I felt the smaller one looked about the same.

Of course I do agree at times the longer one looks better and probably more accurate. :)

I did plumbing for a short time and I never would have thought vintage toilet parts would be so exciting to find! I love this crazy hobby!

Yeah, it's really a funny thought - who on earth should be interested in vintage toilet parts. I mean if your toilet from 1960 breaks down you might want to think about getting a new one instead of searching the globe for spare parts. Luckily for Sam there are some crazy SW fans out there ;-)))

• 1 month later...

So, has anyone contacted him and had luck?

Should I try to or just give him a break from crazy SW fans looking for old toilet parts?

I am really interested in getting a vintage one. A real one.

Thx for any advice.

Saludos

Definitely contact him. A phone call would be best as Sam would be able to give you a straight answer on the phone. Maybe some have surfaced at his warehouse since i posted this so its worth asking. He has a large collection of vintage stuff and I think he said the syphons were scattered in his stock so he is on the lookout for them.

Hope you can get one.

01428 608164

This is the number listed on the BrokenBog website. I called him directly from NY last summer. Email always was hit and miss to get in touch with him. Once I spoke with him on the phone, he was quicker to respond to future emails. Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone tried to mold/cast one of these yet? If done correctly it can likely be cast to the same weight as the real ones, possibly even lighter. I know its not quite the same, but these are the closest to the ones used we have found and if there were casts available im sure it would help lots of folks out that dont want to wait, and dig, or would rather have a cast of this one than the one Gordon is offering. Just a thought...

...another thought.... if anyone has one they would lend me to cast, i would gladly do it and offer them at a reasonable price if its not already being done and i missed it.

• 3 months later...
On 9/20/2016 at 3:44 AM, Darth Voorhees said:

Has anyone tried to mold/cast one of these yet? If done correctly it can likely be cast to the same weight as the real ones, possibly even lighter. I know its not quite the same, but these are the closest to the ones used we have found and if there were casts available im sure it would help lots of folks out that dont want to wait, and dig, or would rather have a cast of this one than the one Gordon is offering. Just a thought...

...another thought.... if anyone has one they would lend me to cast, i would gladly do it and offer them at a reasonable price if its not already being done and i missed it.

I am considering to cast my vintage syphon but it is not a 100% exact match to the screen used ones. It is the shorter version of the two I posted. I believe the shorter one is closer to the screen used ones. The top half & bottom half of the long pipe part are not equal in length. The top half is shorter.

This would require a lot of silicone to cast so I am weighing the worth of even trying. Might be a money pit to try. I have a few ideas on casting it to make it close to the actual syphon but would require some time to make the mold as such. If others are interested, I might have a go at this only if there is enough demand.  

Hey Bulldog,

thanks for your efforts on this. To be honest I think casting this thing correctly and with a minimum weight is firstly quite complicated and secondly very expensive. By my estimate you would at least charge 100 usd per syphon to break even. And you have the risk that is doesn't work at all. Moreover, I don't think there would be much demand at that price and I'm lacking the fantasy how it could be done much cheaper or easier. Btw, after having discovered some correct vintage seed trays I also think the smaller syphon is a better fit.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, Strider said:

Hey Bulldog,

thanks for your efforts on this. To be honest I think casting this thing correctly and with a minimum weight is firstly quite complicated and secondly very expensive. By my estimate you would at least charge 100 usd per syphon to break even. And you have the risk that is doesn't work at all. Moreover, I don't think there would be much demand at that price and I'm lacking the fantasy how it could be done much cheaper or easier. Btw, after having discovered some correct vintage seed trays I also think the smaller syphon is a better fit.

Cheers

Vintage seed trays? gotta see these. Have any pics? Dimensions to match current trays being made? Very cool.

Yeah, I worried after I bought my syphon that O risked it on the smaller one but I did tireless looks at the screenshots and did conclude on the roadblock pack it looks like the shorter version. 

15 minutes ago, Strider said:

The dimensions are a bit different compared to the trays currently made. I was going to show everything in a WIP for my new backpack but other projects have interfered so far. But I'll start it definitively in the next couple of months.

That is great. I have held off buying seed trays as they continue to change in Size with newer develops like the frame size. Can't wait to see your trays. You found both top and bottom variants? Planning to have them replicated for sales? 

After the trays I am looking to make a more accurate exhaust port part. That could be 3D modeled But i might make it from scratch. i have no skills to 3D model yet or a PC to do it on.LOL! For this syphon though, you might be right about the complexity and hight cost to produce. The gears are turning so maybe I can find a good solution. Not in it for profit, even break even is fine, just want to help others if they want a casted one from an original syphon. 

I have only found the 3 ribs type but frankly the only pack that had the 5 ribs one for the lower trays was the move along trooper. All others had the 3 rib type for top and bottom seed trays. No, at the moment I don't plan doing any sales offerings. But let's see.

I've also made a new and more accurate mold for the exhaust port and for the mushroom caps. I'll show it when I do my WIP ;-)

4 hours ago, Strider said:

I have only found the 3 ribs type but frankly the only pack that had the 5 ribs one for the lower trays was the move along trooper. All others had the 3 rib type for top and bottom seed trays. No, at the moment I don't plan doing any sales offerings. But let's see.

I've also made a new and more accurate mold for the exhaust port and for the mushroom caps. I'll show it when I do my WIP ;-)

Great. Looking forward to seeing your WIP! 

I know of toschetraders but who is the UK seller or is it even the same product?

Since i'm starting a new pack sooner or later i'm in need of the most accurate trays for a Karrimor frame.

Same goes for the correct vintage syphon, if one pops up from a Galaxy far away, PLEASE contact me.  

Always prefer original vintage parts over casts, willing to pay high prices for the accurate deal!

(Some old time MEPD/RPF members may still know me as one of those accuracy nuts.)   :duim:

I forgot SID also is doing a run as well. I'm not on the UKG forum so I don't know who, could possibly be the same person since Tosche Traders is UK based. I got mine from Tosche Traders though and they fit nicely. We've come a long way since the Park Seed treys. Those are much smaller