armor straping

dirtydave

I'd speculate that the white portions of the strapping weren't meant to be seen, and are only visible in a couple of pics because of the unusual poses, or because they had slipped.

It doesn appear to be part of the belt system, and it sorta looks like smaller black straps that were attached to the thigh armor were tied to the white belt/straps.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Often there is what some have called a web at the top of the ab plate. I've often felt that it looked like a white hook but could not think of what was hooked there.

Could this "white strap" be hooked to the top of the ab plate and if so, why?

Here's a pic I got off the net a while back.It shows the white strap for the thighs.I must say that I haven't really thought about this strap much,and just remembered I had this pic after re-reading 1970's post #6 on his list.Any thought's?

Posted Image

looks like the knee plate was gaffers taped on too

It does look like the white strap has the black strap looped through it.I think the white is probably cotton or another non stretchy material,and the black will be elastic.Maybe the black elastic is glued to the thighs,and the adjustment is made by pulling up on the white cotton/canvas and velcro'd inside?Just a wild guess

It might not be connected to the armour at all.The prop guys could have positioned the armour like that,and made it look as though the armour is a one-piece suit just for that scene.The arms are attached too,and I personally don't think that they really are.I think that the arms and legs are put on first,then the main body.I reckon the arms and legs can be worn without any of the main body pieces.

I don't know but it seem to me that the White strap looks buckeled to the black strap coming out of the crotch area to the upper leg. Kind of like it is looped and coming back. Does anyone else see what I'm talking about?

Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. It looks like the black thigh strap is tied or looped to the white strap...maybe...hmmm.

It's also possible that the white straps connecting the ab and chest armor had adjustment snaps, much like we see on some of the shoulder strap pics. If these suits had to be quickly adjusted to fit a variety of body types, I'd expect them to make adjustments possible where they could. If it's like the shoulder straps, adjusting it smaller would leave a longer "tail" of the strap hanging down into view below.

Hi guys,

I don't know if any of you have the original Star Wars Trilogy DVD set. It came with a 4th DVD (Star Wars Trilogy Bonus Material) that was a documentary and had production photos from the movie. If you got to the production photo's section and click on ANH, there is a picture of an actor (who is a stormtrooper) off camera taking a break Wearing only his upper and lower leg armor and shoes. It appears to me that he has a belt around his waist that is holding them up. If anyone knows how to capture this picture and put it up it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

Redfox@optonline.net

Mike, I hope you don't mind, but I tweaked the photo in question a bit. You can definitely see a belt there. The question is, was it connected to the thigh armor or was it just going through some sort of belt loops in the undersuit? Since the guy is wearing the leg armor alone, it has to be attached somewhere.

Posted Image

It is a belt for the thighs IMO.If you look carefully you can see where the black leather changes to a darker/flat tone of black.......the elastic for the thighs.

The belt can be seen in ANH on several trooper's when you watch it frame by frame

Posted Image

Like I said before,I think the arms and legs can be worn without the main body plates.

-Paul.

I can almost make something out.I'm going to have a go at making a new harness for 'under' my vest.I currently have my shoulder bell straps attached to the vest,my biceps strapped to the bells and my thighs are held up by a leather belt.I now plan to make braces/suspenders for the belt as it slips down no matter how tight I pull it.The braces will loop through the belt at the front and down to the thighs to hold them up.The braces will cross at the back and will have two straps each side attached at my neck.One will be for the shoulder bells and one for the biceps.This set up will allow me to wear the arms and legs seperately without the main body armour.That can then be slipped on after I put on my vest.I'll take some pics when I get it finished.