armor straping

dirtydave

wow!!!

I have only one think to said to you Jack... THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Nobody will know nothing for his own, the knowledge must be shared, if is it going to be worth, otherwise, si just mental junk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1970's- It's always nice to see good pictures along with information. On a side note; ANYONE who comes here to present information will be well recieved. Whether or not an indiviual believes it or not is up to them. My personal advice would be to take nothing as "gosphel" and always study to come to your own conclusions. In doing that, always try to remain skeptical yet receptive. In time, the truth will sort itself out.

Back to Devcon; my only complaint is that I've had three seams pop with this stuff. While it has been fine on my gauntlets, both of my shin fronts cracked open, and one of my biceps popped on one side. This may have been from going too light. I decided to try something else I've had good luck with; E6000. I've had no more trouble on the shins since I used it. I think it's favorable for that part because it remains somewhat flexible as opposed to the Devcon that becomes rigid.

I've just got some E6000 after all the recommendations it's had on here,but have yet to try it

Just curious. Looking at these 2 pics, is there an inner belt running across the abs plate. There are rivets just under that ridge. Or are those rivets were for the straps that go down the thigh pieces? You can also all those black straps underneath the abs plate.

Thta's my armour is those pics.There is no black belt attached to the armour,that's the strapping system.I have changed it now slightly from what it was,I'm still experimenting.I don't think it had straps coming over from the back in any way now like I used to.I now think that the chest had like a 'V' strap that was riveted to the upper side of the chest,looped to a buckle or clip of some kind riveted to the lower ab line,then back up to the chest with a buckle and clip for adjustment.You can see some troopers have black straps sticking out from the top side of their chest and onto the shoulder bells.The chest also has 4 rivets running down the sides.I have checked and double checked my reference pics and screen caps and they all look to have these rivets.

If anyone has any better 'ideas' on how they were originally strapped then let's here them I know that the armour was a one piece suit and that you had to open it up and slide in from the side.I was told this personally from ESB stormtrooper actors that I have met.They also said that the arms were held with velcro,no snaps,and were terrible to wear.

@Braks

-Paul.

I believe (at least on the Hero versions of the armor that the abdomine plate of armor is seperate from the Crotch plate.

Is it possible that the screen used armor just bent there? Like you said, Jack, you can see Han's chest armor bend like crazy when he sits down in the control room. I think the ab/crotch plate was all one piece but bent in a similar way, possibly due to the materials used.

Just a thought.

Thanks a lot for all the food for thought, Jack!

AWESOME. Much of that I already knew or learned from Paul/Troopermaster after many of his different posts on the RPF, but it's great to see them all consolidated. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

regarding that last item about the crotch, I've never cut either of my two suits and have been able to drive and do the 'Han Solo' pose fairly easy. Not comfortable, but it is possible.

Posted Image

Dear All,

Thanks for the remarks - I want to especially thank troopermaster - I used many of his photo's and through looking at his armor photo's and compairing them to on screen scenes and ANH photos - somethings came together - he is truely a TROOPER EXPERT!

It was mentioned that in ESB that the arm armor was all connected and used velcro as closures - Did you mean that from the shoulder to the Forearm ( all the pieces are connected with an elastic strap? An that the Forearm and Middle arm parts are not glued closed but do use velcro to close? If so - that's not what I thought but thank you for shedding light on that for me.

I'm sorry I forgot to pick up that photo from my parents house today - I'll get it tomarrow and put it up - But just for all you to know the Photo I was speaking off is from about a year ago - Empire Magazine (Sold about the time when Star Wars III came out) came with a special Star Wars collecter Book (which was the size of a small panphlet in terms of pages). This Book had a 2 page spread that had Luke and Han (with George Lucas standing between them) wearing the Stormtrooper armor minus their belts and helmets. Standing infront of the elevator on the Death Star. If any one has this and can scan it in and put it up I would appriecate it because I do not have a scanner and will have to take a photo of it - and the quality will not be as good.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

Thanks Jack,but I don't consider myself an expert,just an avid fan

I'm sure they mean't that velcro was used on the elastic straps.The actor's memories weren't all that good when it came to specifics,it was like 26 years ogo

I know the pic your refering to,is there something specific you need to know about it?I don't have it to hand,but I do have it somewhere on a disc.

Dear Paul,

I just wanted to show the guys that picture because it was good photo reference of the snaps that hold on the Belt. Also, It looks to me kind of like the abdomine plate and the crotch are seperate - the only reason I say this is because where they meet I don't see the edge that's present on most peoples armor - I'm not adoment about this - it's just a guess be me. Look forward to your ANH armor when it's complete.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

I notice that armor in the box - the ridge is very sharp almost a corner edge. On most armors out there that edge is way more rounded. The shadow compounded with the sharp edge definatly created the illusion of seperate pieces. Thanks for helping out with the photo's.

thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

I notice that armor in the box - the ridge is very sharp almost a corner edge. On most armors out there that edge is way more rounded. The shadow compounded with the sharp edge definatly created the illusion of seperate pieces. Thanks for helping out with the photo's.

thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

My take is that all the original suits were hastly assembled and not trimmed or sanded as well as we would do on replica suits. As I like to say, the originals were far from perfect.

My take is that all the original suits were hastly assembled and not trimmed or sanded as well as we would do on replica suits. As I like to say, the originals were far from perfect.

It's true. I've worked on a lot of film sets, and the props often look like total crap when they're being shot. I've even seen "screen used" props on display that I was familiar with that are in no way the original screen used props, but are more likely reproductions built especially for display. One of the real talents of a prop maker is knowing just how good it has to be for film resolution. HD and digital projection are gonna make a LOT of people in the film business, from set decorators to prop builders to costume designers, really step up their games. It's already happening.

Exactly. Plus it was the 70's and it was a sci-fi movie that everyone thought would flop.