armor straping

dirtydave

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep...that's what I used for mine based on TD-1536's recommendation (via his excellent site ) and it works perfectly!>

Once it's on there...it aint comin' off unless you take dremel sanding wheel to it!

Good stuff, and cheap too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once I finish the backpack for LFL and move on literally overseas.

That should look really cool, judging from your other work. I am sure George will like it. Good luck on your move overseas.

Happiness is not a place you run to and hide,its found within yourself,within your heart because you like yourself.you of all people should know that,you are loved by hundereds if not thousands of fans,who clamer to own your armor.if you walk away and turn your back on the people who love you,they will find another ...its the way of the world..I hope you find peace within yourself.

Hello all,

I am appalled that anyone would have information about strapping and armor and not share it - that's what forums are about and for. Your just wasting time and space if you are here and not willing to share.

With that said I would like to share what little knowledge I have aquired about strapping. But before I do I would like to state this information has come from others and is not mine nor do I make claim to it being my revelation to you. A lot of the photo's and information has come from troopers such as Troopermaster.

O.K. - First - The strap (as seen in my first picture on the left side) commonly used to connect the front chest armor and the upper back plate on the side of your body is not correct.

Posted Image

Stormtroopers had straps connecting the upper chest armor and the abdomine armor to keep it in place as seen in the picture below.

Posted Image

This strap is either screwed or rivited into place on the small ridges at the ends of the two pieces of armor (Chest and Abdomine). If you look close at the film you can see the holes coming through the at the lower ridge of the chest plate where this connection is made. I have included a picture below to show you.

Posted Image

If you are watching the scene in ANH where Luke and Han are aguing about going to save the princess (they are in the room above the Falcon wearing the stormtrooper costumes without the helmets), at one point Han Solo sits down and you can see his chest armor bend almost 90 degees because of this connect in the strapping.

Second - the shoulder straps (ribbs) that connect the the Chest Armor to the Upper Back Armor are only connected to the Chest Plate of armor. They are glued on and hang freely over the Upper Back plate. There is not glue or velcro connecting the the ribbs to the upper back plate of armor. All the connecting is done underneath the armor. There is a strap underneath that connects the front Chest plate and the rear Upper Back plate. This same strap has snaps on it to also connect your shoulder armor. Now I know your thinking if I do not attach the ribbs to the back upper armor with velcro or something - they will stick up in the air - well in Star Wars ANH they got around this problem by just strapping it down with a common rubber band. If you look close at the movie shots I have or if you bust out your copy of the movie you can see the rubber band holding the Ribbs down and this interior strap in place. See the Pictures below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Third - The belts were connected to the armor via snaps. You know how we all have those little square bits of plastic with the circle in them that attach to the belt - those pieces hide the rivets or screws they used to connect the plastic ammo part of the belt to the actual cloth belt that goes around your armor. The 2 end ones should have the Female snape connected to the inside - behind the cloth belt so you can snap the belt to your armor and hold it in place. This helps alot if you are going to holster a heavier Sterling Blaster made out of the sterling parts kit. I have a picture from ANH that shows this snap - I will try to get up by the end of today. But if you look at the scene where Luke and Han are just out of the garbage compactor and are putting on the Stormtrooper belts - If you look in the background at the layed out Stormtrooper armor, you can see these snaps on the abdomine plate. See picture below.

Posted Image

Fourth - The Canister is attached to the belt via metal straps that rap around the canister. These metal straps can be seen at the bottom of the canister on the stormtroopers in most of the movie. See picture below.

Posted Image

Fifth - I don't have a photo for this - sorry all. The lower leg armor is not connected at all in the back. There is no velcro or any other type of connection. The right and left halves of the armor meet and then there is a piece of plastic that runs down the center. This plastic strip is only connected to one side and the other just fits underneath. Since the right and left sides are connected in the front via the same type of plastic strap (but glued to both sides) the armor seems to stay in a position like it is actually connected but it is not at all. If you look at the scene where stormtroopers are coming into the Blockade Runner at the beginning of ANH - you will see this part open and close as the troopers are running up the hallway.

Sixth - This is a straping part that I do not know how it is connected. But in many shots during the film, you can see a white strap coming out of the lower Abdomine plate that connects the upper leg armor. I do not know how this strap is connected inside or where it connects to in the abdomine plate. If anyone knows could you shed some light on this for me. See picture below - Stormtrooper on the right side.

Posted Image

Seventh - I do not know how or why the Rivets or buttons on the side of the abdomine plate are there. If someone knows exactly what they are and why they are used - I sure would like to know. One thing I have noticed is there is 3 white ones on the left side of the abdomine plate and 3 white ones on the same side of the lower Back plate. Two of these rivets/buttons are hidden underneath the belt. On the right side of the abdomine plate there is 1 single Metal (steel) button or rivet near the top (usually hidden by the upper chest armor coming down over it). See picture below.

Posted Image

Eighth - This final piece is about armor and not strapping - But I believe (at least on the Hero versions of the armor that the abdomine plate of armor is seperate from the Crotch plate. Everyone knows how it is impossible to bend forward and sit when these are 1 plate - I submit (as refered to above) Han Solo Sits in his Stormtrooper armor and when Han and Luke both jump into the trash compactor (if you slow the scene down) it looks like the Crotch plate bends forward of the abdomine plate - as each actor crouches to jump in the garbage chute. I will add a picture latter that is an off camera shot of Luke and Han talking to George Lucas in front of the Elevator, that goes to the detention area where the princess is, they are wearing the stormtrooper armor with out the belts and you will see the snaps for the belts and it looks to me as if the Crotch plate is seperate from the Abdomine plate.

Again - I'm trying to share what little knowledge I have gained to help others so we can all have an accurate set of ANH armor. I cann't believe some people can be so childish! If anyone has more information or any type of corrections on what I have posted here please give it.

thanks,

Jack Vartuli

RedFox@optonline.net

BACK TO TOPIC!

!

I use the two part epoxy you get from Wal-Mart in the black double syringe. Worked great for my first suit and when/if I ever get my second, I will probably use expoxy on it to.

It does rock! It's called Devcon Plastic welder and walmart always seems to have some in stock. But i hear in some states (florida) they make you sign a waiver before you purchase it

http://www.multiplehat.com/whitearmor/imag...asticwelder.jpg

Seventh - I do not know how or why the Rivets or buttons on the side of the abdomine plate are there. If someone knows exactly what they are and why they are used - I sure would like to know.

WOW, thats the best collection of information i´ve seen for a loooong time!

THANK YOU 1970s!

the rivets on the side of the abplate are to hold the back and abplate connected using elastics. they are found only on the left side, the right side is held together with the belt only!

at least this is what i think!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great info Jack ,

I am putting together an ANH armor right and did just as you described. Added note - on the shoulder straps - the rear rectangle shapes should be cut out.

Just curious. Looking at these 2 pics, is there an inner belt running across the abs plate. There are rivets just under that ridge. Or are those rivets were for the straps that go down the thigh pieces? You can also all those black straps underneath the abs plate.