Hyperfirm Weathering

LoveMonkey

While I wait for funds to construct my BFG, my Christmas present was a Hyperfirm B-grade. I love how light it is and the durability.

What I want to do is add some paint to it so it stands out a bit more in pictures. You know, make it look just that much better and realistic. My initial thought was to use acrylic paint in gunmetal gray or a similar color like aluminum and then dry brush it all over.

I've looked through some of the threads here but some are so old that the picture links no longer work.

Any suggestions or other ideas on this would be much appreciated!

They used to have a tutorial up on the old Sci-Fire site. But it's fairly simple.

I used an old cotton sock turned inside out so you get the bumpy texture. Spray a bit of silver rattle can paint on it. Dab it around to your preferred effect. I recommend practicing on a piece of cardboard, etc. You might want to dab before applying to your blaster each time you add spray paint. You'll know the pattern and density and can adjust as needed.

Once complete you can do the same with Mohawk Tone Finish - Extra Dark Walnut to give it an oily look. But go light on it or your silver will turn brown.

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=170

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of my Hyperfirm B-grade E-11 that I weathered. Not that it didn’t come with some weathering to begin with, but I wanted the weathering to stand out a bit more in pictures than what it was. The detail is so good on the Hyperfirm that I wanted it showcased in pictures. I dry-brushed some acrylic gunmetal grey paint on the areas that already had some weathering to make it stand out a bit more and then added it around where I thought it would look good.

I’m pretty happy with the results. Also, the d-ring on the back is homemade using a coat hanger, thus its irregular shape as I used pliers and a bit of elbow grease to bend it into shape.

EB9DEA91-3190-4C9D-AA74-6D32416D9191_zps

7BB1743B-AD2A-4F98-A8E9-93F0186EE7E9_zps

1BCA8E34-7DB1-46F9-BDB7-E45B299E4334_zps

90B551B5-F390-445B-B94E-1B96F08638AE_zps

4DC1B927-9CD4-4BD7-BF2E-868DF4109F84_zps

C828FBB4-48F5-4C6C-A2C3-5DEA6479AA1C_zps

CA6FB068-95A3-40A9-B454-ED83D7E09435_zps

D765EA0C-75C2-4B80-96AA-DFCE54AE9E98_zps

• 2 weeks later...

I love my hyperfirm. I just wish they would make a bapty version. I'll have to get a bapty soon anyways but no way I'm spending that much and risk getting it damaged at a troop.

Hyperfirm is amazing! I got one in my classroom that my students go crazy over it posing and taking pictures.