Pros/Cons of the Different BFGs

What are the pros and cons of the different weapons? Obviously I'm asking more than just the individual appeal or look for each one.

I'm considering several for my first BFG build but I can't settle on just one. Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Pros and Cons.....

Hmmm..

Biggest Pro: You look bad a$$ with a BFG and you stick out when trooping.

Con, wielding such a beast can result in some bumps or sore spots with people who run into it or you can accidentaly bump into some heads when you are walking around....happened to me several times when trooping with my T21 but less when using a DLT-19.

:salute:

Big guns are waaaaay more impressive than an E11...

... and this impressiveness has a cost: weight.

We are Sandtroopers, we wear and love eveything other Imperial corps detest: clumsy backpacks, heavy guns, dirty... :td:

Ok, back in topic. The only Con about big guns is the weight.

I'd say cost isn't an obstacle here. A good t-21 can cost just as much as a kit form E-11, so don't be daunted by the cost implication, certainly not if you're going to build it yourself.

A T-21 looks mighty impressive when trooping and kids and adults alike love to see the big gun. Drawback being that it gets hard to wield a bfg all through your troop. I usually take my e-11 to switch to later in the day.

I guess for each of the bugs the pros cons are.

T-21 ... Pros/ you can make a good one fairly easily and cheaply.

Cons/ heavy to handle all day.

Dlt19 ... Pros/ fairly light and still looks cool

Cons/ expensive to buy and really hard to make

Mg-15 ... Pros/ looks really individual and fairly light

Cons/ hard to find a good one, and difficult to build yourself.

Pro - you look all cool

Con - carrying it around and transporting it

Let me change the question a little - What made you decide on the BFG you did?

Because I look like a delicate little princesses with the E11.

Let me change the question a little - What made you decide on the BFG you did?

Ok, so, here is my point:

- since I saw the movie when a child I always had the concept: SANDTROOPER = BIG GUNS

The first impressive sequence that I remember and that was indelibly marked in my mind is this one:

MEPDSandtroopers.jpg

Too powerful to forgot.

And what You see? BIG GUNS.

I had the luck to find a demilled MG34 and a deactivated MG15 in the past.

My original plan was to modify them as Star Wars weapons... but, then, a terrible "guilty feeling" spread into me:

- why I have to "destroy" an historical weapon instead of use (or build) a replica?

Also those real weapons are too heavy to use at events. They can be used as display models, but nothing more... especially the MG34 (12 Kilograms ... 26 lbs)

So I put those project on a side, trying to find them a solution, while the only missing Big gun in my "collection" was the Lewis machinegun.

Even if I found it - an original and deactivated beauty - it was too expensive for me at the time.

So I started building it ... I purchased the diagrams, the user manual... I downloaded tons of hi-res pictures.

I started working on the wooden stock, and I fell in Love to it. I do not know how to explain it but the feeling I had while working on it was something "sexy".

When I finished it I was soo satisfied and happy about the result that I'm now always attending events with my T21, even if it weighs more than a classic E11 blaster.

... after a full day at an event while carrying it on your arm, well, You feel his bulkiness (but You're happy! also that child who had seen ANH long time ago, hidden in your heart and memories, is Happy... Delighted ... with goose bumps and chills on his hearts too !!!!!)

(as a side note: the Lewis Gun is the Biggest of the three BFG, and the one I remember the most while digging into my childish memory, anyway)

Now I'm trying to have an E11 because I fall into the sphere of compulsive collectors

(I have a demilled Sterling, but in order to use it at events I have FIRST to rebuild the barrel in aluminium or steel because the way USA demills weapons is too destructive! Receiver was cut in 3 parts...)

... so it is totally useless now, as the other 2 real guns, taking dust on a shelf and waiting the right time when I'll decide to part from them.

Maybe Hyperfirm???

... maybe...

... but living in Italy does not help me because whoever produce and sell hyperfirm weapons DO NOT SELL to my country.

Ah, the humanity.

Cheers,

Alberto

Like this thread :)

My decision was pretty simple; I wanted to emulate the Cantina Captain so it had to be a DLT-19. Also these are the ones with the best availability. I'm currently working on a scratch build MG-15 and at a later stage probably a T-21, too. I think the other pro's and con's have already been summed up quite nicely.

Ok, so, here is my point:

- since I saw the movie when a child I always had the concept: SANDTROOPER = BIG GUNS

The first impressive sequence that I remember and that was indelibly marked in my mind is this one:

I had the luck to find a demilled MG34 and a deactivated MG15 in the past.

My original plan was to modify them as Star Wars weapons... but, then, a terrible "guilty feeling" spread into me:

- why I have to "destroy" an historical weapon instead of use (or build) a replica?

Alberto, have you considered casting parts of you demilled guns to build replika's? The most challenging parts are usually not the body but more the little greebly parts that attach to it.

I would reckon that there should be a market in Europe alone for at least a run of ten of selected greeblies from the T-21. Front sight and the gas regulator would probably be the most wanted items and should be fairly easy to cast. I'd definitily be in for a pair or two.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies everyone! Very informative.

I bought an E-11 Hyperfirm B-grade right before the premiere because I wanted a blaster to help complete the look and I figured it would be easier to use in big crowds (such as the crowded movie theater). I also talked my wife into making it my early Christmas present! :) And even though I love my E-11, I just can't stop thinking about the BFGs. That is one of the main reasons I built a sandtrooper is because I love the look of the backpack, pauldron, pouches, and BFG.

I'm debating between a T-21 and DLT-19. From reading through the various threads both here and on whitearmor I think I'm leaning towards the T-21 because I think it will be a tiny bit easier to assemble, especially with my limited skills in woodworking for the stock and bolt assembly.

I meant why did you choose, for example, a T-21 over a DLT-19 or vice versa?

My mistake - a few reasons

* Because the DLT is the gun of the trooper I emulate. Roadblock captain version 2. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/4981156038_fc7c6160b5_z.jpg

* I think that the proportions look right for a BFG to Trooper ratio. Whereas the E11 looks small. Which is what I meant by the "delicate princess" remark.

I prefer the DLT because the T21 looks awkward in proportions for a firearm.

* Visually - I think that the BFGs look right for what the TDs do. Little gun, E11, looks small and petite. The TKs that are all shiny and crisp look better walking with an E11, because it doesn't look like they are doing much, because they are clean.

TD's are dirty, which to me means they are out patrolling and getting dirty.

Kind of like the difference between those who patrol the FOB vs those who are actually on patrol somewhere miles away from the FOB.

And I love the MG 34.

I like big toys..

:salute:

So I think I am not the only person who sings Sir Mix A Lot's Big Butts song with Big Guns.

I was actually in the middle of this same decision with myself last year. T-21 or the DLT-19? Fortunately for me, a (then) new company started making great prop weapons and had a special for DLT-19s. So I went with the great deal and couldn't be happier!

• 1 month later...

My Hyperfirm RC-97c doesn't weigh much more than the HF DLT-19. The T-21 is a beast.

DLT-19: hyperfirm. least cumbersome. Plenty of ways to grip it. Classic.

T21: wood/pvc. heavy, greeblies on the barrel limit grip options. Biggest one and people love it. Installed electronics are fun.

RT-97c: hyperfirm. Awkward to grip due to the ammo canisters. Most unique due to the ammo canisters. :)

Aesthetically the RT is my preferred BFG. But for long troops it's the DLT-19 or E-11. Occasionally I'll break out the T-21.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my T21 made by Blaster 8266, its a very visually stunning piece & it breaks down easily for transport. My entire first troop i had nothing but great comments on it. Only draw back is the weight its gotta be 10-12lbs. I will be in the market for a HF DLT for a secondary to my T21. Have an E11 it just doesn't fit the look :-) but great for big crowds.

Pros on any BFG - You look bad @ss

Cons - Large and hard to maneuver in large crowds.

On a side note handlers do a great job helping us navigate the crowds too (Less chance of a weapon collision)