Air filter part discussion

TD-1536

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're not helping

Glad i didn't buy my filter yet, i wonder if they just glued tubes to something.

And in your first post, pic 3, it looks like it's broken off, so is that the base. And should I tape my pack like that, one loooong piece

Now you're not helping

Glad i didn't buy my filter yet, i wonder if they just glued tubes to something.

And in your first post, pic 3, it looks like it's broken off, so is that the base. And should I tape my pack like that, one loooong piece

Whatever it is, it looks as-if each rib is a hollow tube of some sort. Outside of this picture, no one would ever know or care, but I'm compelled to get it right. It could easily be fabricated in an evening, just got to choose the right materials.

I'm not sweating it until after Shoreleave. I'll just attach the filter I have now until I get around to duplicating this part.

Well, It's not an air filter... not sure what this is ...

Posted Image

Just a thought but couldn't you use something like bubbletea straws to simulate the 'tubed' look?:Posted Image

Lengths vary from 7" to 8.5" and about .5" dia. You could attach a bunch of them around a cylinder within specs, trim the ends where needed and do a cast.

Pros are cost (cheap) and weight next to nothing. Cons: don't know how accurate they are or suitable material - may be too flimsy. Anyway just an idea - i'll go back to watching the masters work now.

I still think it's an air filter, just not the sort that we have around these days. The "ribs" look like heavy fabric. It could be an old military spec air filter that was designed to be washed instead of replaced. It could be fabricated out of canvas on the fram filter frame by removing the paper from the fram frame and replacing it. It would take some time to figure out how to attach it so it would retain that shape, tho.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I know EXACTLY what it is! But ohhhhh was I BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But truly I dont think we are going to find them any more....

They ARE a filter for a vehicle, a WWII vehicle... Those look like some of the filters that they used in WWII as some of the vehicles started using more and more of the same parts, that looks like one of the air filters for the allied vehicles assigned to the desert. That is why it had the larger tubes, to help filter out the sand.

I only know this cause I also build 1/35 scale armor models, and while researching pics for a diorama of a blown up allied tank (I believe it was an M3), I saw one of those bent over JUST LIKE THAT!!!! This was years ago that I saw the pic, but for some reason it has stuck with me, now I know why! Now, I gotta figure out WHERE I saw that stinkin picture. GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr

DUH... Im Stooooopit.. You may shoot me now. please.

Purdy please.

Guys, I know EXACTLY what it is! But ohhhhh was I BLIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But truly I dont think we are going to find them any more....

They ARE a filter for a vehicle, a WWII vehicle... Those look like some of the filters that they used in WWII as some of the vehicles started using more and more of the same parts, that looks like one of the air filters for the allied vehicles assigned to the desert. That is why it had the larger tubes, to help filter out the sand.

I only know this cause I also build 1/35 scale armor models, and while researching pics for a diorama of a blown up allied tank (I believe it was an M3), I saw one of those bent over JUST LIKE THAT!!!! This was years ago that I saw the pic, but for some reason it has stuck with me, now I know why! Now, I gotta figure out WHERE I saw that stinkin picture. GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr

DUH... Im Stooooopit.. You may shoot me now. please.

Purdy please.

Wow! Awesome information. a quick ebay and google search yielded no results. The search continues...

Iam reading this whit great joy and interest.

Iam also missing this screen accurate back pack.

For me its has to be a nice back pack to up grade the armor.

A bad looking back pack will only pull a nice armor down... I think.

Some times its a stress moment to be a schlock homes trooper, and to get as screen accurate as possible.

but i guess its a part of the game.

And in some way thats what drive us to continue, its a hobby ex.

Great work on this sandtrooper holy grail (raiders/indiana jones) back pack thing parts Mike.

Best regards from here.

Some times its a stress moment to be a schlock homes trooper, and to get as screen accurate as possible.

Great work on this sandtrooper holy grail (raiders/indiana jones) back pack thing parts Mike.

Best regards from here.

Beyond ANYTHING.. THIS is what it means to be a MEPD Sandtooper... The fact that being a Sand and Dirt covered Bad Azz crusty old warhorse makes sure that WE are a WORLD WIDE BROTHERHOOD of SANDTROOPERS!!! I think ALL of us will be glad in searching with you 252!

Dang Im motivated now!

Best regards from here.

Beyond ANYTHING.. THIS is what it means to be a MEPD Sandtooper... The fact that being a Sand and Dirt covered Bad Azz crusty old warhorse makes sure that WE are a WORLD WIDE BROTHERHOOD of SANDTROOPERS!!! I think ALL of us will be glad in searching with you 252!

Dang Im motivated now!

For the moment iam wating on Seth back pack main boxes and comm radio box, i got some of the tupper wear parts/solar dish, component tool box and bottle caps for 02 cannister, weathering, dimond knee, 3 dots belly modify, modify pauldron, hand painted helmet, 3 set mp 38/40 wien stolla replica pounches, mark ching boots, sci-fire e-11 and sci-fire mg 34. And two AP autentic props stunt armors. But no back pack yet...

Hope to get a nice back pack asap, and join MEPD.

Best regards from here to the brotherhood of sandtrooper world wide.

Lets get them jawa´s on monday. Klik... Klik.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

another possible option...craftsman shop vac filter

The problem with conventional air filters like that (and the Fram one I used), is that the fins are just thin, paper fins and not round pipes of some sort. The fins also fan out creating varying size spaces between them, where as the actual screen used item, whatever it is, has consistent spacing between each pipe, fin, whatever.

BTW, I was handed a bag of some round rubber gasket tubbing by the Crashmann to try out. I used an old round bottle as the base and began to cut and adhear the tubes onto it. At first, the results looked promising, but because the tube was originally one long piece wound up, it would not stay straight. Trying to glue them to the base was a PITA, even using hot-glue, and forget trying to hold each pipe in place while a conventional glue dries. So scratch that idea.

Posted Image

another possible option...craftsman shop vac filter

The problem with conventional air filters like that (and the Fram one I used), is that the fins are just thin, paper fins and not round pipes of some sort. The fins also fan out creating varying size spaces between them, where as the actual screen used item, whatever it is, has consistent spacing between each pipe, fin, whatever.

Maybe some sort of tubing could be slid down into each fin to give it that "tubed" look. Of course the top of each fin would have to be sealed off some how, perhaps with hot glue. I haven't purchased a filter yet so I wasn't sure if the shop vac filter fins were one piece or folded over so tubing material could be inserted...heck drinking straws might work...

• 6 months later...

Just a thought for a possible source for this part.

Last night I stumbled across some pics from the Derwent engine catalogue when I was looking at a link between the notched ring on the trooper backpack and the notched ring that holds the Derwent intercoolers in place – they’re the bits used for the Obi ANH sabre emitter.

Anyway – I noticed that the Derwent engine has an oil filter with an element that looks a dead ringer for this one – even down to the way the ends of each outer roll are rounded over:

Posted Image

We know that the Derwent parts turned up all over the place, so I am reasonably confident that this might be the actual source.

Also, I recall a picture of Dengar’s back, with a very similar filter which was flattened out and in a frame held against the middle of his back. It was on Hyperspace, so won’t post it here, but some of you may recall it.

Anyway, just a thought, for what it’s worth.

Phil