Blaster Power Packs (pouch fillers)

So I just finished "Battlefront: Twilight Company" the other night, and throughout the book they kept referring to power/battery packs for blasters. So this got me thinking - what would something like that look like? I still have no idea, but I received my canvas ammo pouches from Trooperbay and realized I had an opportunity. It seems popular to fill them with wood or whatever you so choose, so I decided to make something in the line of these power packs. Let me know what you guys think!

1) First up, I found this post here on MEPD that has MP40 magazine dimensions. So I went over to Home Depot to start gathering materials, the first of which was 1" square aluminum tubing which I cut into 9 1/2" lengths.
IMG_3596.jpg

2) Next I put gorilla tape on the bottom of the pipe so it doesn't tear the ammo pouch going in and out. I also wrapped a bit of the tape around a 1/2" PVC plug to fit it snugly in the other end.
IMG_3597.jpg

3) Originally I was going to use bolts for some detail stuff on the top side, but then I came across these hose clamps which I thought would look neat. So I forced them around the top of the tube and hammered them on before tightening the screw.
IMG_3598.jpg

4) Then with a heavy duty screwdriver, I clamped down the hose clamp as tight as it would go and glued in the PVC cap with some E6000.
IMG_3599.jpg

5) Then it was time for some painting! Just a little black spray paint was all it needed to look uniform.
IMG_3600.jpg

6) I found some small craft corks at a local craft store and though that they would make a nice detail piece on the end. Painted them red to look like some sort of actuator button.
IMG_3601.jpg

7) Then I glued the little corks to the top of the power pack with a dab of super glue. While at the craft store I also picked up a white paint pen in order to write on some serial numbers on the cartridges. I took some metal pieces to the one on the left to scratch it up and also smeared the paint pen a little to give it a 'used' look, so my trooper will be carrying two new packs and a used one (because we obviously don't litter with used power packs of course!) I also painted the nut blue for a little more detail.
IMG_3602.jpg

8) And here's what they look like finished inside the pouches. Now if someone asks me "is there anything in your pouches?" I can say "Of course! This DLT-19 doesn't run on just air alone!" (still working on dying the pouches - still too much green showing :P )

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg