Is there such thing as being too dirty?

Scarlet Trooper

I would tone it down a bit. Too much brown and not enough white in my opinion. You're on the right track as far as getting a darker look in the nooks, crannies and recessed areas but I would clean up the raised areas surrounding those. Use screen shots of film used armor as a guide.

I second that. Remember, it's white armor that is dirty. You should be able to look at it and say that it is white armor at its base.

I would also get in touch with your GML, as they have the final say. Mine is particular about how she wants it to look and I've had to redo it several times.

Also, a picture outside in natural sunlight will show what it really will look like at most troops.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, agree a bit much.

Think of weathering this way.

work on a vehicle with greas up to your elbows. Now go wash your hands. The places left that you have to clean usually more than once is the cracks a crevice's. Between fingers, finger nails and so on

Same difference here.

The high spots usually look cleaner but stained because they are in wear locations. Try to not do to much splotching, like with a sponge.

You want people to think you actually have worn, weathered armor. Sort of like taking it out and dragging it around in a dirt pile. Some places will have weathering, some won't.

Hope this helps. Can't wait to see your final outcome.

I agree with all that it should be toned down some. a little sand goes along way. Believe it or not when I did mine the first time its was a little dirtier then expected that people actually didn't want to come close to take photos thinking they would get some dirt on themselves...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first troop on Saturday at Bobakhan Toys and Collectibles in Everett, WA. Here is a picture of R2-D2, Boba Chicken, myself, and my husband (left to right). Shows how I fixed my weathering. We are just dirty Sandtroopers. All the kids loved it, and I think the parents may have been more excited. We helped Volunteers of America Western Washington gather more than 2000 pounds of food!

dHRXzKo.jpg

Here is the link if anyone is interesting in more pictures from the event. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1067643929935900.1073741857.637080099658954&type=3

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats for the event!! That's awesome, and having a fellow sandy as a spouse *sniff*

I did mine waaaaayy dirtier the first time :lol:

th_943c5e74.jpg

Then i tone it down, while trying to keep the 'cloth wipe' visible

(Had to put this one bigger, idk why i cant zoom in)

DSC02611.jpg

The same weathering(different helmet), with more contrast and darken on the photo

th_72ee655e.jpgth_3cb7f0db.jpg

I'm trying to get the look on the photo you posted :woot:

But if i ever doing it again, i'll probably going to tone it down a wee bit more.....nah :lol:

Maybe this is the route you're after?

I'm using an enamel paint (not recommended lol, haven't looking for another option with the same 'characteristic' yet), cloth, and did some wipes with a brush

Hope it helps :td:

Oh, I do like your weathering! I used acrylic paint and fuller's earth to do my weathering. I went back and wiped off a bit of the acrylic to make white spots and went back over with the fuller's earth. I bought larger containers from a Western Costuming store in the same colors Trooperbay has (a pale sand color, a dark brown, and a slate grey). My helmet is almost all fuller's earth little acrylic.

It is pretty fun being married to a fellow Sandy. I know I'm never alone when we troop :) He did the same for his weathering, just he didn't get as dirty as I did haha. He's a bit more artistic than me.