Field BackPack Frame Research

Bulldog44

This is probably old news to many of you but I thought to share some interesting photos of backpack frames I came across that in one way or another, match the screen used frames.

Pack#3 -

image.jpg1_zps29oghzmy.jpg

dcb664f9-69c4-4832-922a-ab6739e20089_zps

I've read that Rebel Hoth packs were said to be recycled from the ANH packs but the only similarity I can see are the seed trays (cover in fabric) and the arched frame. But the top ends of the ESB frames differ from Pack # 3 and the bend is located much higher. I have not found anything like these frames yet but maybe someday!

image.jpg1_zpsrrrehb6j.jpg

Interesting Jansport frame- has the arched frame but the bottom bar doesn't extend out enough.

aeaa5a5e-2184-4f93-abc5-d315eca7b2ab_zps

Boyscout Frame- 574 Frontier series I think. I bought this on ebay for $27. Bottom bar looks good but no arched frame. Perhaps they did bend a few of them to avoid interference with the backplate.

image.jpg8_zpsjvqwfmjm.jpg

Karrimor Frame- another ebay purchase I made. Costed more to ship to Japan than the frame itself. ( photo from former owner- no I do not have that wallpaper in my house!)

5c28aa45-f217-4891-95f5-9ab293459158_zps

Royal Marines Arctic Rucksack- Karrimor frame, has the bend, a bit taller but possibly they cut these down?

image.jpg1_zpss66potus.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsu44nxxs2.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsvune1hvz.jpg

I read in the Star Wars Costumes book by Brandon Alinger that they prop guys went to a Boy Scout shop in London. Maybe they carried additional pack frames for hiking, etc. not just boy scout goods.

Just thought to share this. Please post any other finds you may have come across.

This is very interesting...

I have been in Scouting since 1986, and at least to the stores ive been, they never carry one single kind of pack or even one single brand. So, even if they got the frame fro. A boy scouts shop in London, you could easily find any camping brand there.

Also, people just tend to say "boy scout" to mean pretty much any camping or amateur oitdoors activity, specialy a few years ago... So, the posibilities are just infinite I guess.

Saludos.

This is very interesting... I have been in Scouting since 1986, and at least to the stores ive been, they never carry one single kind of pack or even one single brand. So, even if they got the frame fro. A boy scouts shop in London, you could easily find any camping brand there. Also, people just tend to say "boy scout" to mean pretty much any camping or amateur oitdoors activity, specialy a few years ago... So, the posibilities are just infinite I guess. Saludos.

Thanks. Its been fun looking all over the web and reading all the interesting history these packs have and where they came from. You are probably right about that guy just saying it was a boy scout shop, maybe was an outdoor specialty shop.