Sonix Radio Detailing Parts Log

Bulldog44

Sorry I am starting another thread about radio parts but I will use this posting to report any new parts I find or come across . Feel free to chime in too if you have anything to share about radio parts that you think will enhance sonix radio kit builds.

Luckily I had a quick 30 minutes on my way back from a meeting in Tokyo today and I dropped by Akihabara. This area of Tokyo was famous a long time ago for sprawling electronic part shops. Now its just a small concentrated area of shops near the train station that still sell various electronic parts.

I picked up some detail parts for my radio but not sure if they are accurate enough. I was in a rush and grabbed what looked best but hoping to go back sometime to see what else I can find.

Here is what I found:

image.jpg3_zpsqt8ibcht.jpg

3.5 jack plug sockets for the right side ear and mic ports - they had other kinds but the outer rings seemed too small so I thought these looked more balanced in size.

5 pin din socket. - the shop owner showed me the additional silver cased 5 pin socket but he could not say which one would be accurate for that era.

And a I found an antenna.

When I saw some photos of original Sonix radios I noticed the antenna was positioned at an angle, not straight. I thought perhaps there were two different types of antennas used on the radios.

image.jpg2_zpseaquaw6q.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsgrzenknb.jpg

Then I found this - The antenna can fully extend and then the second to last section is just a pivot joint allowing the antenna to bend and rotate 360 degrees.

image.jpg4_zpsbc0g67se.jpg

The tip is slightly larger/longer than the Bigred radio antenna tip but its close enough I hope. I ordered a similar antenna from ebay last night but not sure if it is the same type. Update on that when I arrives early next month.

What to use for the circular base around the 5 pin din socket and the antenna is still something I need to figure out. Maybe some rubber O rings . Ideas are welcome!

I can help a bit with this ....

The 5 Pin Din I used (at that in no way means it's correct, just looks correct) is a Panel Mount type. Not the Female Plug type in your photo...

Ext-1205-415.jpg?t=1444379936

Your antenna looks great !

Very similar to mine (10mm dia.) I got mine from eBay...

fviwza.jpg

Interestingly, it also has a swivel connection. Although mine is inside and you have to extend the ariel. As you pull the ariel up, the swivel joint appears for you to twist the antenna in different directions.

As far as the ring around the antenna ?

I used a spring washer and bent it back to flat. It was the perfect thickness and diameter.

1zqpjb9.jpg

Sorry I am starting another thread about radio parts but I will use this posting to report any new parts I find or come across . Feel free to chime in too if you have anything to share about radio parts that you think will enhance sonix radio kit builds.

Luckily I had a quick 30 minutes on my way back from a meeting in Tokyo today and I dropped by Akihabara. This area of Tokyo was famous a long time ago for sprawling electronic part shops. Now its just a small concentrated area of shops near the train station that still sell various electronic parts.

I picked up some detail parts for my radio but not sure if they are accurate enough. I was in a rush and grabbed what looked best but hoping to go back sometime to see what else I can find.

Here is what I found:

image.jpg3_zpsqt8ibcht.jpg

3.5 jack plug sockets for the right side ear and mic ports - they had other kinds but the outer rings seemed too small so I thought these looked more balanced in size.

5 pin din socket. - the shop owner showed me the additional silver cased 5 pin socket but he could not say which one would be accurate for that era.

And a I found an antenna.

When I saw some photos of original Sonix radios I noticed the antenna was positioned at an angle, not straight. I thought perhaps there were two different types of antennas used on the radios.

image.jpg2_zpseaquaw6q.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsgrzenknb.jpg

Then I found this - The antenna can fully extend and then the second to last section is just a pivot joint allowing the antenna to bend and rotate 360 degrees.

image.jpg4_zpsbc0g67se.jpg

The tip is slightly larger/longer than the Bigred radio antenna tip but its close enough I hope. I ordered a similar antenna from ebay last night but not sure if it is the same type. Update on that when I arrives early next month.

What to use for the circular base around the 5 pin din socket and the antenna is still something I need to figure out. Maybe some rubber O rings . Ideas are welcome!

This is the type of antenna I've found to be most consistent. I have a few radios that use a lot of the sonix details and measure. They have this type of design

My antenna also has the swivel joint hidden and needs to be fully extended to reveal it , sorry I didn't explain that well enough.

Rick, its good to hear this sounds in line with other radios from that era.