Feeling uncertain...

Musesoldier

After getting my armor in (from ata) and fetching a few of the supplies I need, I suddenly got cold feet about continuing. I know I should start on the arms and legs, and I know the tools and supplies I need to get started, but I just can't bring myself to start cutting and gluing. Do you all have any advice for starting on my first set of armor? More specifically what technique is going to be the least stressful for a beginner to trim armor with?

Honestly, I'd start on the abdomen. Get the crotch, abs, butt and kidney to fit as well as possible. Then the back and chest. After that, do your shoulders, biceps, and then forearms. Then finally, do the thighs and shins.

For me, that's the best way. Start from center (the abdomen) and then work your way out from there.

Hey, Thomas, I know the feeling. Don't worry, you will be trooping soon. Start off small. What I mean is, take the biceps out of the box, then shut the box. Ok,? next, cut,and glue together the biceps together to fit YOU. When your done, and feel confident, go on to the forearms,etc. Mike from trooperbay has fantastic videos on how to assemble accurate trooper armor. But the mind thing for me was STOP looking into the brown box. The only time you do that is to make sure you have everything. Take your time bro and have fun with it. If you need help just ask, or pm someone. There's plenty of veterans here that are more than willing to help. Be sure to start a build thread also and take pics to show your progress. Now, go get those biceps..... :yes:

Yes, certainly take your time and start small. I trimmed the return edges back to a safe distance before making final trims on all the parts. This way you get the hang of using your tools and feel how the plastic reacts when you trim. You'll gain confidence as you go along. And post as many questions as you need along the way, never feel silly to ask. Everyone is here to help.

Took me about 6 weeks before I got started. I have since built a number of kits for people. I always start with the Ab, Butt, and kidney. Then work my way down, then to the chest and arms. Once you have the middle done, you can properly fit everything else, thighs most importantly.

Anyway, you are only on a schedule you set for yourself. It would be a great idea as previously to watch TrooperBay's build tutorial, I did, and would also be a good idea to reach out to your local garrison. Someone will help you and there are likely build parties happening somewhere.

Good luck and have fun! And take your time :)

Baron

Thanks for the many words of wisdom.

Join the forum for your garrison. Find out if the garrison nearest you has a member that might be close to you, and meet with them. They can help you out as well.

I had talked to another member who lives down the street and he connected me to someone (local GML?)who was able to give me a few more tips too!

Aside from trooper bay's tutorials what are some of you all's other personal favorite build threads, most of what I have found are documentations of the build process v.s. explanations of the build process.

@ Thomas - Just echoing thoughts here... just jump in and have at it (take your time of course) and you'l eventually fall into a rhythm. It may all seem intimidating at first, but rest assured that we have all been there. As long as you follow the tutorials and ask as many questions as you feel you need to, then you will be all right, Brother!

No worries, you'll have a lot of support here in the Precinct! Good luck and have fun! :td: :thumbsup: