Sonix Side Mounted Jack Plugs ?

Lozzer86

Guys,

The 2 side Jack sockets on the Radio appear to be a pair of 1/4" female Jack sockets, but I'm wondering if that is actually the case.

I'm thinking that one of the sockets might be a DC input Jack.

I can't understand why it would have 2 "headphone" jacks. Doesn't seem right to me.

5b4l1v.jpg

What do you guys think ?

Or can anyone confirm either way ?

Hey Lee, definitely not a popper....i have a few radios that are unfortunately not the sonix but they do have some of the same parts. One of which has the same input on the side and its labeled "EAR"....I always thought the second was for a mic or external antenna

Ok thanks guys !

Now I've been digging deep into the MEPD archives and stumbled across a thread that I think you have both been involved in.

I read 1 post that remained unanswered and I'd like a view ;)

2ls877l.jpg

I am blatantly stealing images from this post, so I'm sorry !

But it's all in the pursuit of perfection ;)

Taking the wrapping wire away, because our Avenger doesn't have the wrapping wire, the mysterious object remains.

It's definitely not part of his Jacket, as it also appears on the field pack in the exact same position, and definitely not part of the strap for the same reason.

Now I appreciate the wire holding the radio to the field pack appears to be twisted into a loop, but I'm fairly convinced it's a separate part.

I think that really is a D Ring for a wrist strap or similar.

Thoughts ?

I'm not claiming that one, just picked up a on a thread that tailed off :)

But I have been giving that some thought and I'm looking at all possibilities.

Even the possibility that (as crazy as it sounds) they aren't Jack sockets at all, but are in fact a pair of poppers on both sides, used to hold the removeable (optional) D ring.

The image of the D ring is nicely close to the top of the "Jack sockets" position.

And if you consider the fixings used around the radio in general, you can't rule out the possibility of a pair of black poppers on a small leather d ring strap.

2ec2q93.jpg

Is it possible that the Jack plugs shown on the left of the radio are a missing D Ring strap ?

The investigation continues......

Buddy, that is an AMAZING thread !

It's not the exact same radio, but wow ! It's the luckiest find ever :)

It could be an earlier or later model, replicated by another manufacturer. Even the same model updated by the same manufacturer.

There are many similarities, antenna, dials, general layout of controls and it almost matches the size of my photoshop scaling reference photo !

That said, the strap plates are not the same as the ones used on the Field Packs and the 'EAR' Jack is a single. Also no D Ring.

Cool find though ;)

But alas, it doesn't solve the D Ring or double Jack mystery just yet ;)

Interesting.

So, this is my radio. I found it in a flea market. Of course not the same but very similar make and components.

post-1761-144194029964_thumb.jpg

And there is something interesting.

There are two D rings, one on each side for what I can only imagine is clipping a long strap.

post-1761-144194042911_thumb.jpg

post-1761-144194044219_thumb.jpg

Maybe that is what the sonix one has those rings.

And as you can see, it also has a plug in jack for earphones. Similar to the one on the north star radio.

Finally, there is some guy on the net who actually owns a real sonix victory 75. I have tried to contact him as many of us, but he won't answer back.

I remember someone saying that he replied to him. So, maybe that someone can ask that guy for some references and info on the radio. I am sure that web guy, being a radio enthusiast, will now what the plugs and D ring are for.

Saludos.

post-1761-144194039848_thumb.jpg

Finally, there is some guy on the net who actually owns a real sonix victory 75. I have tried to contact him as many of us, but he won't answer back. I remember someone saying that he replied to him. So, maybe that someone can ask that guy for some references and info on the radio. I am sure that web guy, being a radio enthusiast, will now what the plugs and D ring are for. Saludos.

Are you talking about my good friend Bob, lol ? Seriously, the only reason I got him to reply was to pretend being a vintage radio enthusiast and not some freaky Star Wars Fan ;-) I don't think that he would answer me as well if I let down my guard now. But trust me we will get to the bottom of this, with or without Bob's help :)

In the meantime, I have dug up something that may shed some light on the D-Ring. I assume this has been overlooked many times because it just blends in with the wire around the radio.

Leesonic_zpsx3yj1vfz.jpg

Lol. Yes Bob!

So it was you that made friends with him. Hehe.

Yes. The d ring looks like it could be to hook a strap.

I've been looking at similar radios for the last hour or so, no luck finding clues or better references.

But that one throws some light on the issue.

We will find something soon.

Saludos.

For what it's worth, and in the interests of consistency...

Here's another photo of a NorthStar radio with a similar case structure.

Very similar to yours, Juan !

But shown with the wrist strap attached.

szelhs.jpg

The only thing I can't tell, is how the D Ring is fixed to the Sonix.

It could be on a threaded plug that you screw into the side.

2yzk2s4.jpg

It could be on a leather tongue that comes out through a slot in the side ?

If it is the screw in type, that could answer the double Jack plug question, as the top one could be a threaded hole for the d ring to mount on to ?

they look a lot like RCA jacks to me. they don't resemble poppers. Its already got a strap mount on the top so i don't see why there would be another one of a different kind on the middle of the box.. let alone 2 separate ones right next to each other.

My deep dive into 1970's radio connectivity is starting to make me dizzy :)

Based on the information I have seen, one of these is almost certain to be a 3.5mm EAR Jack socket.

My conclusion is that the other similar looking socket is either an MPX or LINE IN.

Both of these use a standard 3.5mm Jack socket too.

So I'm almost at the point of conceding that there are in fact 2 3.5mm panel mount jacks on the left hand side of the Sonix, one of them is most definitely for headphones.

As to the D Ring on the right hand side ?

No idea !

But it's definitely there, and definitely looks like a wrist strap or other strap fixing point.

I would have expected a pair (one either side) of these, as lugging a Sonix around on your wrist wouldn't be a good design choice :)

So in the interests of moving my build on, I'll be putting a pair of 3.5mm jacks and a D Ring on !

Otherwise I'll never finish and never sleep again ;)

BigRed on the main 501st boards found an actual Sonix Victory 75 way back in 2010. He's much closer to you than me. It's only a 3 hour drive from Essex to Oldham :)

http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=56013&start=20

I asked about the jacks on the left, and he said the top was labeled MIC and the bottom was marked EAR. He didn't specify what type of jack they were (3.5mm or RCA, or 1/4")

Also, and you'll really appreciate this, he said there's a 5 pin DIN on the right side for connecting a tape recorder.

You should get in touch with BigRed to see if he would let you check out the radio in person thumbsup.gif

Charlie

The link is for 501 members only so Lee can't access it.

What I find peculiar is that this find is 5 years old and nothing ever came of it, no more pictures, no castings, nothing. Misterious...

I'm happy though to drop David a line and ask if he would be willing to share some more pictures.

Afaik, now there are two radios that were found.

One is the one one the only "real-real life" pictures of the radio I have ever seen. Pictures have a water mark from Rocko, former member here.

The other one is this one.

Weird that yes, nothing has ever come out of those findings.

The only other radio that I know of not in movies or tv shows is "Bob's radio". But we know the story of that already.

If anyone was to reach BigRead and document it and make all or any kind of research on it would be awesome.

Maybe even 3D scan it and print a faceplate.

That would be awesome.

:)

Saludos.

I'm very interested in the 5 pin din !

I can feel a 5 pin din socket going in ;)

Projects are on hold right now as I'm on vacation in Florida, hitting the parks for 2 weeks ;)

By the time I get back, my armour will be ready and I can finally go for 501st approval :)

Then I should be able to get my 501st access and have a good trawl through the hidden forums !

Things are getting exciting now :)