New Guy in Town

SandyShorts

Hello, I hope this is posted in the right forum. If it is not please, if you can, point me in the right direction.

I am a 33 year old college student and hotel restaurant manager, and I have been interested in joining the 501st for a long time. I have decided that it is time to start giving it a real go, but I am starting from absolute zero. I was hoping you troopers could point me in the right direction. Of course I have some specific questions, but if you have other info I didn't think to ask I would appreciate any feedback.

1. Do you guys buy premade costume armor that you later modify, and if so, what armors are acceptable/best to work with?

2. If you do buy then modify, do you have any reputable sources of purchase?

3. Where can I find more information on armor acquisition so I don't have to bug you guys about it, (unless this is the right place!)

4. Lastly, if these are from scratch builds, how does one go about getting started doing that?

I am really interested in getting this information, and am glad for any and all information you can provide. Remember, I'm a beginner, but I won't stay that way!

SandyShorts

Hi Mitch,

Welcome to the MEPD! I had the very same questions when I got started. Most of us purchase armor "kits" from vetted makers and then assemble them ourselves. You can find a list of makers on the FISD forums here at http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/.

The kits will vary with regards to material, price, and wait-time, but all should get you an armor you'll be proud of. For what it's worth, I elected to go with Authentic Props (AP) armor.

Good luck!

Hi Mitch and welcome. I had a blast building my own then submitting to MEPD and I am awaiting my decision. I am an active member of the 501st and I so wish to become a Sandy PO. If and when you do get your kit just remember to stay away from the RUBIES armor try not to buy from Ebay and listen to the direction of the Guys in the forums and you wont have any problems. as Beren said go on the FISD and you should be on your way.

Good Luck .

Rick

Shadowfax821

TD-82160

First i would lie to thank everyone for the welcome. Secondly, I have already emailed and recieved a reply about Authenticprop kits, and found a lot of the stuff I'm going to need at trooperbay.com and imperialboots.com, (who knew there was something like that!) I feel confident that I can get all the accessories and bits I'm going to need. I have even been researching weathering here and on Youtube. But, probably through some fault of my own, I still can't seem to find any pricing on the approved 501st armor kits themselves. AP sent me pictures of different kits and even included which items are not provided that I will have to procure myself, but no ordering guide, or pricing guide. Do I need to email them again to let them know that I am serious, or is there a site I don't know of that I need to visit to actually shop?

Again, I appreciate your help. I wasn't expecting such a quick and warm reception.