Screen Accurate Cantina Captain Backpack Build

Strider

My next project after the Cantina Captain is to build the backpack that goes with it. The first step was to identify the exact backpack and its components which can be found here >>> http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=13795&hl=

The second step for me was to dwell in the old but neverending question of the right color of the backpack parts. Since we know that the in Special Edition, which most people used as a reference, some heavy color filters were used I compared screenshots from the original version (1977) to the Special version (2011).

Backpack_1977_edition_zpsbjfeaf7d.jpg

Backpack_1977_edition_2_zpsnls6l4az.jpg

Backpack_1977_edition_3_zps0hlbj3mh.jpg

As you can see, the blueish hue is completely absent in the original version without the filters. After using some photoshop tools to identify the color and compare it to RAL standard colors I found that the color RAL 7031 resembles the screen used one best. Moreover (hint hint ;-) ), the name of that color is blue-grey and/or battleship gray. This makes a lot of sense to me since it may well be possilble that the new filter brought out more of the blue color of that tone and also it would also make sense that the prop departement used a military color.

Color Example of RAL 7031: ral-7031_zps6q1tqh3s.jpg

But since all theory is grey (no pun intended) let's start off. I decided not to do a tutorial but show the parts needed and the final product.

By way of an executive summary here are two pics that show all the parts that go into the pack (mounting materials not included) and the final product:

20150928_085430_resized_zpszif0mhxh.jpg

PA040092_zpsu7khsnf3.jpg

But let's start from the beginning: First stop, the exhaust port:

20150731_123417_resized_zpsm821qs4p.jpg

20150801_123516_resized_zpstra1eek6.jpg

Sonix Victory Radio (WIP):

20150801_161645_resized_zps2fijdqc7.jpg

20150801_202310_resized_zpsidaaguwx.jpg

Screen Accurate Karrimor Frame (WIP):

20150802_090152_resized_zpsiv2lvog7.jpg

The GioSyle canteen flask (in the lower picture with the RAL 7031 battleship color):

2015-08-02%2009.43.36_resized_zpsygl16r5

20150802_085516_resized_zpscpsbxbvu.jpg

After some severe criticism I decided to smooth out the surface of the canteen a bit more. I'm kidding of course; feedback from my fellow brothers is always highly appreciated and helps to push the limits of screen accuracy even further. I'm not yet convinced that the props team from back in the days really did sand the canteen flasks but since they appear to have a smooth surface that's what matters. So, here we go :)

20150907_100638_resized_zpsnr2fe2d1.jpg

Also had a very pleasent event the other day when my new sandtrooper handguards from you know who arrived. They are a bit thinner an much more flexible than the stormtrooper ones and I have to say the look and feel great :)

20150802_201751_resized_zpsin0np8m5.jpg

Hi Constantin!

Great color comparison and i think that you matched the right Color. I will use the same one for my

upgrade;-).

Good luck with your build and i you need any support...you know where my cantina is;)

Cheers

Many thanks for your comments!

@Felix: Thx, bro, I'm good with the field pack yet I have a bunch of D-rings waiting to be picked up/dropped off :) Let's see if we find some time in September before Speyer, okay?

@Nick: There's a saying "we all stand on the shoulders of giants" and in this case I'm actually standing on your's because this is inspired by your build :) So let's keep this a team effort!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. Where did you get the hand graps from. Or what to call them. The item left right where to hold the radio. Mine looks different. More flat a like. Yours got stripes design etc. not sure what version of hand graps we see on the radio used on the radio we see on the anh back packs.

I think they're from Ruggero although I didn't get them directly from him. He and Juan did some nice research on the topic and identified those as the correct ones.

You can also source them from Ruggero he's got a sales thread open I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

Some more progress on the tool box and the bullet shells. I was trying to buy a project enclosure box for the tool box first but seems they're currently sold out worldwide - so I had to do it myself. For a lack of the exact measurments I went for the dimensions 20x15x6cm (HxWxD) which should be in the ballpark region of 1-2 cm to the original one.

Simple process:

1. Measure and cut

2. Glue and Fix

3. Sand the edges

4. Tape, paint & weather

20150905_144816_resized_zpskey5ptqw.jpg

20150905_180535_resized_zpsyjgntrqy.jpg

20150905_201415_resized_zps3m5641sy.jpg

20150907_100205_resized_zps9kuzyo5l.jpg

Reference shot:

2015-07-23%2017.30.56_resized_zpsuzbe7uw

I was able to get my hands on real shotgun shells (Thanks to OpiWan!). In the back you can see my new and first build of an E-11.

20150905_150804_resized_zpsjegvz7ly.jpg

20150907_100123_resized_zpsb0mpdwaa.jpg

Looking real la great bro.

I am really excited about all the accurate builds happening now.

It's been some time since I was so excited about new parts and gear discoveries.

You guys are doing a great thing with your accurate packs.

It is inspiring to say the less!!!

Congrats. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Saludos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bro, looking great so far. It's maybe a angle-thing, but the upper box seems a little too high.

image_zpsjjjnwpfd.jpg

In my opinion you can clearly see the upper brace of the frame. But i'm not really sure, as i haven't build my pack yet :) maybe you could make a photo from the same distance and in the same angle like the reference-shot?! That would be helpful to get the best result

Some more progress - finally I can smell the end of the tunnel... ;-)

20150929_113823_resized_zpsf0h0n88i.jpg

I've attached the lower seed trays to the aluminum profiles as well as the canteen to the lower tray. Basically I assembled and cut all the aluminum profiles instead of using metal ones to save weight and get exactly the lenghts and shapes I was looking for.

I was glad that it worked out to use the original strapping system which is much more comfortable as well as adjustable compared to a cheap "self-made" solution.

To prevent the pack from scratching my armor I've attached a buffer made of leather and foam on the bottom alu profile;

20150928_100824_resized_zpsiwifkyqz.jpg

For the inside I used 2,5mm ABS stripes as reinforcement. This will also hold the zip ties which I'm planning to use to hold the upper seed trays. Basically my aim was to assemble everything in a way that would enable me to and change everything later without having to cut open anything. You never know what further mods the future may bring ;-)

20150929_113913_resized_zpsdgo6ylhq.jpg

I've made some good progress in the last couple of days and finished the pack. Alltogether I'm pretty happy with the parts and the way it came out except for one thing; you'll notice that the "old" radio templates do not fit the "new" packs anymore so that will definitively be a candidate for a future mod. Unfortunately at the moment, there is no radio with the original dimensions out there. Given the accuracy level I'm aiming at making it myself would probably be barely acceptable at best so I rather wait until a better solution or casts from a found Sonix Victory surface.

'nough said, here are the final pictures:

PA040092_zpsu7khsnf3.jpg

PA040097_zpshvlkkspn.jpg

PA040095_zpshtjksabg.jpg

PA040099_zpstbhdi4fd.jpg