New "screen accurate" backpack build

nick.black

Ok guys, sharing this for the sake of helping the community.

In the UK we have recently discovered the original backpack frames as used on screen in '76, being the Karrimor tote backpacks.

The frame looking like this:

E73CC14F-8B2D-4964-8671-1BDFE8A14CEE_zps

Seed trays are fitted across the frame once the bars had been removed and the top section of the frame, above the second bar down, was sawn off, with the top bungs being replaced.

4411EE43-E505-4840-AD53-8B7CFCB74215_zps

35B3DC35-C9D0-4569-968F-BBF1C3293E04_zps

Then stripped down and straps removed ready to be painted black.

13504922-6DA8-4082-BD90-605EC2689B4D_zps

Black paint makes it look great already. A few scratches only add to the authenticity!

A7079ECA-3A91-41B9-A8F5-E89AD88D5513_zps

Stay tuned for more updates as I go along

Someone asked about references for this pack frame and I'm going to borrow from some graphics that Scott (Ghost) has already developed here.

I am currently looking at the actual frame of the back pack and have found an old Karrimor Tote Em back pack which I feel can easily be modified to replicate the actual frames used. After looking at screen shots I am satisfied that the horizontal strapping bar curves outwards which is also present on the Tote Em pack. Another feature is the tapered shelf at the bottom of the frame. I initially thought this was just standard 90º bends but looking at the following pack (not the Move Along), the tubing appears to taper in. After further studying, this also appears to be the case on the Move Along pack as the frame wraps closely around the water bottle, which is not situated to the outer edge of the seed trays. It is quite hard to see, but even on the low resolution release, you can see the shelf tapering in tight to the water bottle, and in my opinion is not a 90º bend: F1_zps7e83b505.jpg Move Along PackF2_zps1bd4462e.jpgF3_zps0cfe6a2b.jpg Another tapered shot:F4_zps40dca075.jpg The return angle also has a flattened look to it which is also present on the tapered Tote Em frame: F5_zps6283bf56.jpg

Yes I was planning to bend it a little, but on the references the only pack that has the extreme bend angle is the move along pack to be honest. Myself and Ruggero spent many hour trying to figure out why the bend angle was more in that pack.

Of course the pack I'm going to replicate is the same as the last one I posted, the "alley check black pauldron" and as such I'll be replicating the fake radio on his pack. I'll probably have my sonix on for troops though.

Of course the pack I'm going to replicate is the same as the last one I posted, the "alley check black pauldron" and as such I'll be replicating the fake radio on his pack. I'll probably have my sonix on for troops though.

-------

Do you have a real Sonix radio?????

Saludos.