Sonix Victory 75 variations

Strider

What if the UK prop store didn't use any Hong Kong radios but a local brand?

This is what I have also been doing. Looking through what might have been available in Tunisia or in the UK. That maybe the radio, even though it was manufactured in HK or thereabouts, was available in the European market under a local brand name. Like Harvard, for example. I found one radio with that ugly speaker design with the Harvard name(formerly Harris Overseas). It is the smaller hand held radio. It is the Harvard Combat H-87.

There is also the slightly larger hand held one Harvard Militia H-90.

Both styles have about three or four other manufacturers listed for that same ugly style.

An example - The "Commander II" is made by Swing Electronics in HK.

A clone of it is the Harvard Militia H-90 made by Harris Overseas, later Harvard.

I did come up with another way that would help with the search. Most of those old electronics use to have identification on the battery cover - or on the inside of the battery cover. The next time that someone contacts that ONE GUY who has this radio (the one who provided the measurements) If he could provide photos of the back of the radio and provide any info that may be on that battery cover, or inside the battery compartment. Because that was where most radios have their info. Either printed on a shiny metal sticker or actually part of the plastic itself.

FTR - One of the first jobs I had ever had was the information desk at a library. This was in the days before the internet. And you had to figure out multiple ways of finding information. So I do not mind doing any of this sleuthing.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1456803708.994560.jpg This is either the sonix or the North Star radio... Dont know for sure. Would that be of any help? Saludos.

Yes - If you were able to get a better image of that raised lettering on that back panel. That has the information.

I also came up with another theory today

While looking at this cr_p43f_1578831.jpg

Sonix may be a combination of two names.

The radio above has CONION on the label. It is a combination of the manufacturer's full name Coney Onkyo. Coney has been shortened to CONI and Onkyo is ON. Together it is CONION.

So it could be possible that Sonix is a combination of two names ??

The other idea I had today - Is there an image of the Sonix logo that is clear. That little world/ pan am looking logo (I think it is, looks like lat and long lines to me)

COuld probably do a reverse image search on that and see what else might be associated with it.

My god I love the MEPD! It feels so nice finding a group of people who share my obsession with searches and mysterious information like this.

I've got a friend whose been in the audio business for over 40 years looking into this. Been a sound guy for music and commercials all over the world. Really hope he has insight he can share.

Hey Evan!

Happy to meet another brother that shares the passion of the MEPD community.
And, sharing is really what we do. Not only de passion, but the info, references, findings and discoveries...

Hop in and join the search. Its been about 4-5 years since it became an obsession to me to find this radio. I literally look at every single store, house, office, and junk pile I see every single moment at every single day.

We will find it.

It's just a matter of when...

Saludos.

Thank you icon88!

For those looking for a new search method I suggest we start using some Chinese search engines instead of just Western style Google.

I'm trying to figure out how to use Baidu (biggest search engine in China) with translation. Tedious but worth some time.

Great topic!!

I love to show off my radio but I can't seem to upload any images or post any links at the moment...

It's a Colonel superdeluxe transistor radio, it still works too!

:salute:

Thank you icon88!

For those looking for a new search method I suggest we start using some Chinese search engines instead of just Western style Google.

I'm trying to figure out how to use Baidu (biggest search engine in China) with translation. Tedious but worth some time.

Good idea.

I have been taking advantage of language and have been looking in Spanish speaking engines and sites... No luck yet. But we must broaden our search to make it more effective.

Saludos.

Anyone ever looked into these WINDSOR 6 Models? It shows some resemblance and it's interesting that's it's a British company.

http://www.jackbergsales.com/electronics/WindsorM6SolidStateAMFMPocketRadio.htm

Yes.

That little radio comes up under these manufacturers

Swing InterElectronic, Interradin, Harris Overseas, Harvard, Tenko, Windsor, Aciko and Conion.

Two of those are the same company.

All of them happen to be manufactured in Hong Kong.

I had looked to see if any of these companies are still in business, or tracking down whatever company they have become after they folded or were incorporated into when they were bought out. But no luck so far on that avenue.

I have also tried to think of other ways of spelling Sonix. Thinking about how English words are corrupted by non-English speakers. Think of that site Engrish dot com. Words or letteres are mispronounced. So there could be the possibility that the "S" could be a "C" or "Z" or the "X" could be and "cks".

The configuration of the Sonix does not match any other radio(so far).

FTR - I have been using this thread as the base for the search http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=4867&page=1

I still think that Sonix Victory is the model. After looking at all of the variations, the model sticker was always in the bottom or top corner.

EDIT - I have noticed that there is a distinct pattern that is on the Sonix speaker. The "fan" pattern is flat and does not swirl.

EDIT - I had another thought - The book "star wars costumes" Has anyone thought of contacting the authors to see if they may have any images of the TD that may have not been used in the book?

Edit - LOL look what I found - this makes me think that whatever the Sonix is, it's mold may still be out there

1982transistorradio2.jpg

- $_1.JPG

I should probably wrap this up before the month - scanning all of these radios has really been itching my "collect all the Panapets and Toot-A-Loop" radios urge.

I have tried to contact the author of the book and got a response from the publisher. They said they can pass on any message but not 100% a reply would come. Definitely think this is a great way to get some more insight on the packs and hopefully get in touch with one of the actual prop makers from ANH who worked on them.

I have tried to contact the author of the book and got a response from the publisher. They said they can pass on any message but not 100% a reply would come. Definitely think this is a great way to get some more insight on the packs and hopefully get in touch with one of the actual prop makers from ANH who worked on them.

Thanks.

Wonder if any of these people are on social media.

There is a display coming in November to the Denver Art Museum. I will be going up there to see it. *crossing fingers* that maybe there will be a sandy on display.

I find it odd - that of all the character costumes that have been displayed in the exhibition - sandy is not one. Female tusken raider yes? But no sandy.

20160302_201613_zpsmsdqrqjn.jpg

20160303_140046_zpsrvdrt2kz.jpg

I've recently acquired a vintage radio from the 70's which was also produced in Hong Kong. From the sides it looks spot on (like the Sonix) but the front obviously differs a lot. However, what is interesting are the dimensions; they are 21,8cmx19cm which are the exact dimensions that were take from the North Star radio (http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=9335). Hence, I have now seriuos doubts that the measures from the original Sonix provided by Bigred (he stated the height was 24cm but never provided pictures) are correct.
I have tried to get confirmation by contacting my "old friend" Bob but he has not gotten back to me yet. For the time being I will mark the height dimensions of the Sonix in the other thread (http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=13958) with a big question mark. Hope we can get confirmation on this soon!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Made some progress after three hours of research. It's amazing how you can get absorbed into some minor detail and time flies.

Came across a blog where a guy reviews antique radios. He mentioned that "yahoo Japan" is the go to place for obscure portable radios. He's right it seems. I somehow ended up in the right place despite not being able to read kanji. I've sifted through hundreds of pages and come across a lot of variants like our beloved sonix.

Just click the below link and look for similar sets. The Cougar 7 seems to be wildly popular in Japan.

http://category.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/list/アンティーク-ラジオ-オーディオ機器-家電-AV-カメラ-オークション/20020/?p=アンティーク&tab_ex=commerce&fr=auc-prop&s1=score2&o1=a&b=521

Made some progress after three hours of research. It's amazing how you can get absorbed into some minor detail and time flies.

Came across a blog where a guy reviews antique radios. He mentioned that "yahoo Japan" is the go to place for obscure portable radios. He's right it seems. I somehow ended up in the right place despite not being able to read kanji. I've sifted through hundreds of pages and come across a lot of variants like our beloved sonix.

Just click the below link and look for similar sets. The Cougar 7 seems to be wildly popular in Japan.

http://category.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/list/アンティーク-ラジオ-オーディオ機器-家電-AV-カメラ-オークション/20020/?p=アンティーク&tab_ex=commerce&fr=auc-prop&s1=score2&o1=a&b=521

Looks promising! Nice research, bro!

• 1 month later...

What happened to the mfgs of our particular version?

That is the thing. There are many different manufacturers of one model of radio. I stumbled upon the same "Radio Guy" that Strider had found. He has not been forthcoming with much information about the radio. A simple check on the back above the battery box, or inside the battery box, would give all of the information needed.

Manufacturers had a little aluminum/foil sticker on the inside of the battery cover, or it was imprinted in the plastic itself.

A radio made in Hong Kong, could be manufactured in one plant, but it can go out to three manufacturers.

Also, a design or mold for the plastic, after a certain amount of moldings, they discontinue use of it. The mold gets sold off to another maker, and that is how you eventually end up seeing the little GI Joe or Dukes of Hazard toy radios that have elements of this "Sonix" radio.

Ftr- I'm kind of close to getting the new laptop up and running.