TheDon's weathering saga

TheDon

image_zpsptttuuhi.jpg

Started weathering tonight. Starting on the shins so I get an idea of how to get the technique down. I'm using artist acrylic paints like pandatrooper.

Hope you guys like it. I'll go over it with the second layer of black/warm grey later.

image_zpsyb16n5nk.jpg

Left (with plate) has two passes of brown. I did the first pass wrong. I let the paint sit too long and it ended up coming off all freckly and was difficult. But I think I've got it

What I like about weathering is that every single attempt is unique. I'm aiming for dirty but not toasted marshmallow. Once I do the oil pass it should blend better.

Nice....like the foot shot too. I think we had a thread dedicated to feet shots. Now, im not one of those foot fetish guys, but do think its funny. :teehee: They're like little photo bombers. Ok sorry, great job Joe :thumbsup: . Just remember, less is more sometimes. :thumbsup: Hey, how did the belt come out by the way.

I actually forgot to weather the canvas belt. I was so set on getting it done. I'll figure it out.

image_zpskdlsshhs.jpg

So it's not coming out exactly like panda troopers videos but whatever I like it. It has that caked on, it's been cleaned quickly but no one cares anymore look to it.I should also start using a real camera and not my phone

I have the biceps, belt, and bucket to do the burnt umber coat. It's a ton of work! I'm thinking I might just leave it with the single pass for now and come back to it with a lighter burnt umber or my oily mix. I'll try and get a photo up tomorrow of it all.

I've noticed that and I think I light just stick with it. My shins have black on them but I should be fine. I might go light with the black on the thighs so it's a transition.

image_zpsnhuuf4yp.jpg

Only have the belt, Bucket, bicepts, and Pauldron to do.

I bought some cocoa colored sanded grout and a bottle of aquanet hair spray for the pauldron.

Sprayed it down and flicked grout on with a brush and gave it 10 minutes and then rubbed it clean with dry newspaper and it looks amazing. I kind of wish I had done my armor this way doh!!

Looking pretty good. One option is to take the same colors and dilute it with water to create a thin wash, apply it all over an area and then just dab it with a sponge, cloth, or paper towel to create a nice base layer of dirt. Then do your above technique with more non-diluted paint and dab that off with a wet cloth.

My fear in doing that is making my armor look like a toasted marshmallow. Ill give it a try on a bicep or something small.

I need to redo the shoulder bell elastic bands for the biceps. One is too long and doesn't work. Last thing to do is cut down the plastic hand plates and affix them to my gloves. Long run I'll get the proper gloves and latex hand guards.