Composite image from Biane Library troop

TakoTuesday

Great composition Ryan.
They only thing I feel to suggest you for the next one is to force the light direction from one main point.
Here all the figures seem lit from different sources of light. In this one having two suns "in camera" all the figures needed to be darkened next to the point to look like silouette against the background.
Like this more or less sorry if I used you pic
18284171531_912242fd2a_b.jpg
Keep up the hard work!

P3laton3, I agree with your assessment of the lighting in the image. In fact I may create another image with realistic light conditions because I do like how dramatic your edit is. However my decision to leave the scene evenly lit was based on my desire to keep the Tuskens clearly visible, as it was the father who had requested the image. My concern was that lighting the scene realistically would have obscured the two Tuskens more than I thought acceptable since there is no natural bounce or plausible reflector present to throw some fill light onto them. Plus it was probono work so I didn't intend on spending hours on the image but now I think I might. I appreciate your input.

I got your points Ryan :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now just for talking :sweat:
The ground works in natural conditions as fill light in that way you can lit the Tuskens up better than what I did.
For any composition I always try to follow these rules of course being an artwork you can do whatever you want nobody can say a word ^_^
Directional_light_cheat_sheet.jpg

In you composition you can even follow this ref, in your case the Rim light are the suns, the fill light will be the ground
rim+light+only.jpg

I also did just a bit of defocusing on the secondary subjects and this image shows better my intents, keep the focus on the Tuskens even if they aren't the biggest subjects in the composition.
erika-fearless_41.jpg

if your planning to re work your image it will be great see the wip.

Looking forward to it

I was concerned the ground, being dusty and rocky, wouldn't bounce enough fill since the suns are throwing light directly into the camera lens and probably overpowering any fill it provided. But then I thought, it's a composition, wouldn't I want multiple exposures to correct this in post? And you're right, ultimately it's art, so I can bend the rules as far as I want. :devil:

To create a better sense of depth in the image I increased the size of the sandtrooper. I also defocused him for the same reason as you posted. The ground was also shaded in or highlighted to match the light falling on the uneven surface. The suns were overexposed and more was red added so the scene would appear to be dusk/sunset. Finally I cropped the image in tighter to remove distractions and focus the scene on the Tuskens. I've spent more hours on this than I wanted but I do like the dramatic and edgy direction that this image has taken.

501st-InlandEmpireSquad-KevinRitz2_zpssb