Ab/Kidney plate gap

netslave

On the CRL, for basic clearance, I noticed that the Ab Plate and the Kidney Plate need to butt up together, leaving no gap. But I've seen some approved pics of Police Officers with gaps, some as large as a few inches.

Is a gap acceptable at all?

The GMLs are actually doing their job. In the current official 501st TD CRL ( http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TD_sandtrooper ) there is no mention of a maximum gap between the ab and kidney plates for basic TD approval. Only in higher levels (Level 2 certifications) is there mention of a 1/2 " maximum gap. I always make a suggestion that they close up the gap via a shim or something if they want to go for higher certification, but some are happy with minimum basic approval.

ok, so I'm adding shims, but I'm not sure where I should add the rivets. My plan is to permanently attach the shims to either the kidney or the ab plate. Then attach the shim to the other with snaps.

should I put the rivets in the back? (the shim and the kidney), or on the ab? Or both? Should I make it look like it's two pieces, using bondo and painting to blend the pieces? Should I do it to both and have them meet in the middle?

And should the shim attach to the butt plate at all?

Too many questions!

1035tlk.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey no answer huh? What did you end up doing? I'm sorta in the same boat. Im thin but not rake like so need this sort of shim I guess to get police status.

Can someone here answer? My question too lol

Regards

T
A
Z

I figure I may do something like this. Let me know if I'm way off base before I go cutting. :)

2vuc6s4.png

From what I can tell, this looks like it would be good. My only suggestion would be to try and make as seamless as possible and centered

• 2 weeks later...

Hey no answer huh? What did you end up doing? I'm sorta in the same boat. Im thin but not rake like so need this sort of shim I guess to get police status.

Can someone here answer? My question too lol

Regards

T

A

Z

I ended up adding shims to both sides, leaving the seam down the middle. When I get my armor out next, I'll post a pic of how it turned out. Definitely worth the effort.