New to MEPD

Ryan C.

Hi everyone,

I recently ordered an ANOVOS kit to go along with my 501st approved AP TK. My id # is TK-51978. One of my suits will be used to make a sand trooper and I can't wait to build another costume. I live in Charlottetown Prince Edward Island and I'm a member of the Canadian Garrison. I two sons, One of which is in the Galactic Academy as a Jawa. He is six years old. My three-year-old is soon going to have a Jedi costume. He can't wear the mask yet. My wife loves what we do. Does anybody have any suggestions for me while I wait for the suit to show up? I have an E-11 blaster already. As everyone knows, the Anovos suits were basically purchase sight unseen. I hope it's good. Looking forward to chatting and meeting some of you maybe someday.

Welcome to the sand pit man!!!

I don't think you'll have anything to worry about the ANOVOS suit... should be great. I'd make it your white TK and the AP turn into a sandtrooper though — IMHO.

Troop on!!

While you are waiting you could look into buying pouches and a pauldon. You may also need to get another pair of boots since the TD ones will need to be "dirty".

P.S. My wife wants to someday visit Prince Edward Island because she is a big Anne of Green Gables fan.

While you are waiting you could look into buying pouches and a pauldon. You may also need to get another pair of boots since the TD ones will need to be "dirty".

P.S. My wife wants to someday visit Prince Edward Island because she is a big Anne of Green Gables fan.

I've got a few connections here on the Island within the Anne industry. You're always welcome to come explore...and bring your armour along as well. Beautiful place for a troop!

• 8 months later...

Well, my last post here was in May 2015...That's way too long but guess what arrived today...My big brown Anovos box! I am very much looking forward to joining the ranks of the MEPD. I spent the afternoon and evening trimming it and taping some pieces together to see how they look out of the box. Pretty decent so far. The pieces match up nicely. There are thicker pieces than others but nothing paper thin or worrisome. Now I am a smaller trooper - only 5'6" so many of the fits of the suit are not meant for me. Knowing this, I have always been planning on cutting into the back of my thighs, shins and the inner forearms as I did with my TK in order to be able to bend limbs. It's the only way.

At the same time this is going on, I am also building an R2 unit. That's a task, holy moly. I'm thinking of what weathering to use for R2 and now that I am hoping to join the scene on Tatooine, perhaps a Mos Eisley post-restraining bolt paint job is in order.

So anyways, I look forward to reading builds and moving forward. My goal for the TD, as long as I can get boots and the soft parts, is to be approved for July 2016. That's the timeline considering family, work, coaching, etc...

Now as for questions:

1. Is it safe to assume that cover strips are the same sizes between TD and TK's?

@ Ryan - Welcome back, Boot! No worries about your height, this detachment will guide you to the end of your TD project. We have accurate looking members ranging in height from 5' to 6'-4". You are definitely in good hands!

As for armor details, keep referring to the build threads. And to answer your question... yes, the cover strips are same size. You might have to tweak/mod certain parts of your armor to get it as close as possible to looking screen accurate in proportion to your size. :td: :thumbsup:

I'll try Photobucket!

This is my TK. It is AP. I am EIB. I had thought about converting this armour but I love it too much to dirty it up.

DSC_0435_zpsrm9pqpbx.jpg

The Big Brown Box for my TD.

IMG_7717_zpstjkkupkk.jpg

The unveiling

IMG_7721_zpsxytl2tdb.jpg

IMG_7720_zpskk0qpesz.jpg

IMG_7722_zpsqirpucu0.jpg

IMG_7726_zpsld3wj23v.jpg

Anovos on the Left, AP on the right. It is considerably bigger than my AP. I can't tell about the weight though because of the customization in the AP.

IMG_7724_zps4cms4kok.jpg

The Canvas belt is rotten in my mind. No structure. Maybe once I put it on, it'll be fine but I see it twisting and just being a nuisance compared to my TKittell.

IMG_7729_zpsqz5n2wiq.jpg

IMG_7730_zpsd1y6v5mz.jpg

After snapping and scoring everything I decided to tape everything right at the scoring lines to see where everything lines up. I like it so far. Matches up fairly decent.

Shins

IMG_7755_zpskrwarrsa.jpg

IMG_7754_zpspav8ystm.jpg

Thighs

IMG_7752_zpstgbqvy3d.jpg

IMG_7753_zps4fmgk8cz.jpg

Biceps

IMG_7747_zpsxmwkwk09.jpg

Forearms

IMG_7749_zpsmuxwhwqc.jpg

The right fits nicely at this point considering the roughness. Certainly not where it has to be.

IMG_7751_zpsurubi3hs.jpg

The left is massive.

IMG_7750_zpsptozxy1s.jpg

And finally, one of my helpers. This is Keegan. He is 4 and has a Jedi costume that he wears sometimes and helps out when I troop. He's a member of the Galactic Academy. His brother is 6 and has a Jawa costume and a Gonk droid costume. He is also a Galactic Academy member.

IMG_7742_zpsk4c54ojy.jpg

IMG_5843_zps9noprca8.jpg

IMG_2337%201_zpsfm0mhk2u.jpg

IMG_2655_zps3cz8awkq.jpg

Yep, you can cut out those notches for your sandtrooper. Sandtroopers get built the same as TKs just without the square ab button piece and black paint stripes, 3 buttons instead of the 4, and diamond knee plate. The Anovos kits do not come with the parts for TDs so hopefully you kept your AP pieces. If not, hit up trooperbay or another vendor to source those the diamond knee plate and 3 button piece.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've had a chance to work on my Anovos TD over the past couple of days. A couple of questions have come out of my work...

1. Does anyone have a 3D printing file of the sniper plate?

2. The strapping that Anovos has provided....can I use that? I read in a few thread that there was specific strapping requirements but in reading the CRL, I can't find out what the specifics might be?

Thanks.

I use clear hockey tape to set things up. I found it is extremely strong, easy to remove and I can see through it to identify my problem areas. Here are a few pics of my initial sizing efforts.

IMG_7819_zps1dw5uiip.jpg

IMG_7816_zpse9aeetpp.jpg

AP on the left, Anovos on the right.

IMG_7813_zpszp7swmby.jpg

Some notes I have from my TK build that I referred back to.

IMG_7808_zpsbe8bzo5e.jpg

IMG_7807_zpsbnepah15.jpg

Front of thighs are 10mm per side with a 20 mm cover strip. This is a picture of thighs with just the excess trimmed off. You can see the width of the bump compared to the coverstrips.

IMG_7794_zps8ktnamyc.jpg

Too big.

IMG_7789_zps3kf5pcrl.jpg

Here things get a bit better....

IMG_7801_zpsuaacuygu.jpg

Just a preference, but when I was drawing lines and cutting, I tried to remember to pull back the plastic. I figure that a Sandy is going to be beat up a bit on purpose so I don't care if it get scratched.

IMG_7780_zpsdglptnxn.jpg

20mm on the from of the shins as well.

IMG_7768_zpsh8rrcjwc.jpg

Here is some of the strapping I mentioned above....works great for the most part.

IMG_8792_zpsneupljrt.jpg

IMG_8790_zpsivrvh3wp.jpg

Test Fit somewhat...have not removed extras from belt yet. (wait for the next section of pictures)

IMG_8830_zpsfj4k1rv8.jpg

IMG_8846_zps1xqpv8qe.jpg

I removed the drop boxes from the belt and the holster. Pulled back the canvas on the ammo pouch and glued it with E6000. Will pull aside the threading on the rest of the belt and reinforce it somehow. I figure some MP40 pouches will cover the hole left over by the Anovos Holster design.

IMG_8849_zpsray0c7qx.jpg

IMG_8850_zpsnid1uxkv.jpg

IMG_8851_zpslfiwv0la.jpg

That's where I am. Feel free to chime in....

Hi all,

I've had a chance to work on my Anovos TD over the past couple of days. A couple of questions have come out of my work...

1. Does anyone have a 3D printing file of the sniper plate?

2. The strapping that Anovos has provided....can I use that? I read in a few thread that there was specific strapping requirements but in reading the CRL, I can't find out what the specifics might be?

Thanks.

I've not seen a 3D file for printing the diamond plate, but I do know that you can build one up from flat ABS sheets. If memory serves Dirty Boy did his that way.

That is what I did for my 3 button ab plate- just cut a strip from your scrap and then cut/punch three 19mm- 3/4" buttons.

Re: ANOVOS strapping. some guys are using it (there are no CRL specifics about strapping)- I don't trust velcro for long term attachments (too many years of tech diving) so I went with snaps.

Best of luck on your journey to the Dirt Side. :D

closeup_zpsq4i3syf6.jpg

Just checking in here. I have a line on some MP44 pouches that will need to be modified in color, but are they acceptable? My GML suggested that I ask here.