TK's being able to wear pauldrons being considered by legion

acerhater

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TX Det is home to only EU Troopers

This is extremely valid point. Everyone should feel good about the costume they've chosen and that they have a welcome place to be to share their passion.

The TX Det is home to only EU Troopers

This is extremely valid point. Everyone should feel good about the costume they've chosen and that they have a welcome place to be to share their passion.

...however, the TX should only be for Special Ops, that is the detachment... I don't know whether I would class a HWT as a Special Ops trooper... The TX shouldn't be a catch all for EU Troopers as it is getting too large a bucket. The same happened with Clone Troopers, first it was just TC, now how many different designations are there?

Yeah, this is not being thought through very well IMHO... It would be so friken easy to just give a "Heavy Weapons Trooper" a "TH" or a "TW" designation! Take THAT suggestion to the Legion Council!

ROFLHMS - that's awesome!!!

FWIW, I believe the ESB frown is only on the SE edition of ANH for that trooper as it appears the added TK's are in ROTJ format actually. But I could be wrong, my eyes are old.

FWIW, I believe the ESB frown is only on the SE edition of ANH for that trooper as it appears the added TK's are in ROTJ format actually. But I could be wrong, my eyes are old.

The point is, it is screen accurate to mix and match ROTJ and ANH armor.

I think this has to be passed to all garrisons/out posts. A TK with a pauldron and field pack does not make a TD. XO's should not clear TK's wanting to become TD at the drop of a hat. The most and biggest one is the ab plate. I think it's all or nothing...

"IMO"

• 2 weeks later...

I think this has to be passed to all garrisons/out posts. A TK with a pauldron and field pack does not make a TD. XO's should not clear TK's wanting to become TD at the drop of a hat. The most and biggest one is the ab plate. I think it's all or nothing...

"IMO"

Marc,

If the legion is going to put HWT in with the TDs as they have done, then based on the comics there is visual refrences to support them. If I remember correctly the comics have a TK with backpack and pauldron. At least one of the Dark Horse Comics pictures of the HWT shows Ab buttons and drop boxes as well as haveing a backpack, pauldron, and ammo pouch on his shoulder. However you are right. You shouldn't clear TKs wanting to become a Sandtrooper. However as HWT are covered under TD designation then according to the legion Membership officer that is what they are to be labeled as.

If at an event people do not wish to troop with a TK with a pauldron then I guess the only thing I can say is...don't. I suit up and troop with my fellow members regardless of how screen acurate or perfect their kit is. I know mine isn't perfect, but frankly the attitude of "you must be exactly screen acurate" is getting really old and starting to suck the enjoyment out of trooping. Its suppose to be about spreading the joy and magic of star wars to everyone. Its not a competition on who's costume looks better. Yes we set up standards. Great. But if the standards starts to get in the way of what the legion is suppose to be about then I say the standards should be changed. I love how accurate some of my fellow MEPD brothers and sisters look. I also love the guy who is 5'6" 240lbs in his TK that is shimmed to high heaven, wearing a pauldron, and is out there making kids smile and bringing joy into the lives of other people. That is what the legion is and should be about.

CJ

CJfive: well said trooper I see it the way you do. Over at the OLG we have a new trooper is a TK but likes the look of having a pauldron. I told him its ok to wear it Im no authority on the subjet of him having it he also carries a mg34, and he thought the TD's of our garrison would be mad with him but I said to him agian go for it. I also said to him he should look at the spec ops forum. But if he belongs here under HWT then he's a HWT not a TD . He in no way wants shoulder pouches or a backpack or any other stuff that makes us TD's I hope I didnt ruffel any of my bro's and sis of the MEPD It's just how I feel on this ...I say more the merryer

I also said to him if i see a ad plate or anything that pertains to us oter than the pauldron and the bfg I will throw the biggest mud ball at him then run up with some type of spray to make it stay

I talked to (what I consider to be) a heavyweight in the prop/costume community, and we were originally talking about Tusken Raiders. Everyone wants to be *that* Tusken from ANH. Well, we were talking about the SPIRIT and mindset of the costumes. Tuskens were scavengers. They hodgepodged things together, and had whatever they could find. It may not have appeared on screen, but we totally got it. I see it as kinda the same thing with sandtroopers. As long as I could see a sandtrooper that is stationed on Tatooine having it or using it, it's all good in my book.

I have plans for a different type of droid/people scanner, and some custom long rifles. In the SPIRIT and theme od the sandtrooper, I think that's fine. I wear a custom pouch thing on my belt, that could totally fit in (and it's very functional).

"IMO"

Marc,

If the legion is going to put HWT in with the TDs as they have done, then based on the comics there is visual refrences to support them. If I remember correctly the comics have a TK with backpack and pauldron. At least one of the Dark Horse Comics pictures of the HWT shows Ab buttons and drop boxes as well as haveing a backpack, pauldron, and ammo pouch on his shoulder. However you are right. You shouldn't clear TKs wanting to become a Sandtrooper. However as HWT are covered under TD designation then according to the legion Membership officer that is what they are to be labeled as.

If at an event people do not wish to troop with a TK with a pauldron then I guess the only thing I can say is...don't. I suit up and troop with my fellow members regardless of how screen acurate or perfect their kit is. I know mine isn't perfect, but frankly the attitude of "you must be exactly screen acurate" is getting really old and starting to suck the enjoyment out of trooping. Its suppose to be about spreading the joy and magic of star wars to everyone. Its not a competition on who's costume looks better. Yes we set up standards. Great. But if the standards starts to get in the way of what the legion is suppose to be about then I say the standards should be changed. I love how accurate some of my fellow MEPD brothers and sisters look. I also love the guy who is 5'6" 240lbs in his TK that is shimmed to high heaven, wearing a pauldron, and is out there making kids smile and bringing joy into the lives of other people. That is what the legion is and should be about.

CJ

WOW!

What a speech. Was that rehearsed or off the cuff? I agree with you. But as I said "IMO".

Merry Christmas

I say do what you want, unless it's an official event. If this go's threw then

how long befor femtrooper armor is an official costume of the 501st.... all it takes is one comic book then it's ok?

I'm not trying to be an ******* but i bust my *** and spend a ton of cash on my costumes. I want to wear the pauldron,ammo packs and look as if i have been in a few wars, So i am gearing up to start work on a TD if your going to do it go all the way.

And remember two suits of armor are better then one

I say do what you want, unless it's an official event. If this go's threw then

how long befor femtrooper armor is an official costume of the 501st.... all it takes is one comic book then it's ok?

I'm not trying to be an ******* but i bust my *** and spend a ton of cash on my costumes. I want to wear the pauldron,ammo packs and look as if i have been in a few wars, So i am gearing up to start work on a TD if your going to do it go all the way.

And remember two suits of armor are better then one

Most the reasons people cite for wanting to accessorize their TK into something between a TK & TD are not because they are trying to replicate a 501st approved EU trooper, but mainly because they want to jazz up their costume and have fun with it.

The Spec Ops Det really seems to want to focus on EU-only troopers, not canon derivatives. Kevin seems happy to take on HWT because it's EU and in his scope, but after reading through their forums it's not like there are a ton of guys over there wanting to do white armor based costumes.

It seems to me that's the difference really - are you trying to replicate a costume, or are you just trying to have fun with one? Someone could walk around as a Vader with ammo packs, a blaster, and dirt (can't stay clean all the time, eh?), but is he still a "Vader" and would you troop with him that way? Most people would say "no", but given this argument if it's OK for a TK to do it, why not a Vader?

As stated many times it's your costume and you can do as you like and we're a club after all & let's *do* have fun and experiment, but the purpose of a detachment is to help standardize and promote a particular approved costume type(s). Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but it seems a bit antagonistic to put forth the argument that the standard that they're working hard to achieve and promote should be compromised, or flip it around that a costume that doesn't meat all the requirements should be considered on the same level.

For myself, looking at the movies it's pretty clear what a stormtrooper is, and if you ask pretty much anyone they can tell you. It's white armor with no pauldrons, etc. So for me, when you add these things, you take away from the icon of the stormtrooper. When you ask people or think of a sandtrooper what stands out is dirt, pauldron, pouches, and most likely a pack. So when you go clean or remove the pauldron or other core item, you're taking away from the essence of what a sandtrooper represents. This is why while I feel it's OK to occasionally have fun with a costume, the core of what thoes costumes are to me is a pretty emotional issue, perhaps analogous to the core of faith.

As I said, this is my POV and like armpits everyone has their own.