Original helmets and suits.. just FYI for you all

trooperexpert

actually the white suits are not all white.. they are airbrushed to the high 9's with black and then some removed with scourung pads and were used in the forrest scenes as were the others.. both types were used based on what was found inside a beige helmet in the US. I have no clue why people think that it is highly accepted.. LFL burried almost all the suit when finished and kept the 19-20 we know of. Brandons helmet is white and has yellowed. This has been confirmed... It is not beige.

Also, the suits were made by bermans and nathans.. the molds, the orignal ROTJ molds were found in the shop sometime in 1995 and were sold off. I was offered the dual faceplate molds back in 1997 for $6500 and am still trying to the find the seller to this day. He confirmed they were found there.

I am pretty knowledgeable about this, and I have confirmed a ton of this with LFL. I dont know about your peoples story, but the stories of found on set, used by me and all seems a tad fishy considering LFL went to huge lenghts to get stuff kept a huge secret. I know almost all the helmets out there were tossed in the forrest and the people wnet back after the prodcution was o ver to retrieve them and mail them home.

I have most of the info and I am confirming the rest as we speak.. takes time but it will all come out one day.

Matt/STE

Have You any clues, using Your LFL "contacts", on Sandtroopers backpack?

Do LucasFilm took a pre-production picture, or a costume test, for this?

Ciao,

Alberto

good question with the backpacks. Very interesting!

Another thing about the lost rotj dual faceplate molds Matt is talking about is new to me. I never thought about where this molds could be. I just thought they have been destroyed. So is someone out there who is pulling with that molds or copies of them and we dont know? Or does it mean someone is not using them and only let them get dusty in the deepest cellar of his home? I hope you find the seller Matt

Marcus

I was only offered the face molds. The rest I was told, were sold off piece meal and there is now no way to get all of them. Sad.

As for the packs, I do not know of the test shots. They may have been done, but we will have to see. The sad news is this: the orginal packs were destroyed and they only have SE 1997 packs in the archives. Saw them while I was there.. HORRIBLE looking and not worth the time to explain.

Matt/STE

Greetings all - recognise a lot of names here. I'm Jeremy, a Brit from London and all-round Stormtrooper nut, like many here I guess!

Great place here, it certainly seems like I've a lot of reading to do! great thread as well.

Well post Numero Uno from me, just chiming in on the subject of the Museum of the Moving Image (MOMI). That was a cool place and a regular haunt for me while I lived here during my student days, sadly as has been mentioned it closed around 1999/2000-ish. (Hadn't heard of it touring in 02 though, that would've been cool to see).

Here are some quick snaps of the two suits they had on display:

Posted Image

(Fabric shoulder straps, bubble lenses in helmet).

Posted Image

(moulded plastic shoulder straps, flat and *I think* blueish eye lens in it's left eye, right side eye lens missing).

On one of my last visits to the museum I noticed that bubble-lens trooper was still there but the flat lens trooper had been replaced with what I believe was the auction suit with the strange brow, here he is (both had been put into glass cases by this time):

Posted Image

The brow is very crudely cut black vinyl tape and I'm pretty sure it was this suit that later went on display at Bradford or Sheffield? Christies listed it as a replica in the catalogue! I have the cat' somewhere and will post a photo of the suit if I can find it.

There's something else I may be able to add to the info mix, I heard that MOMI bought this suit from Christies after J. Joiner who was also going to be bidding for it stepped down. MOMI were very keen to get the suit as they quite liked having two on display and Mr Flat Lens had been shipped back to the States for some reason..

.. That *may* have had something to do with LFL forgetting that they'd actually loaned out two suits! I got that from Don Bies, he'd sent them out originally when working as LFL's Archivist I believe. I guess Uncle George had started to wonder why the insurance premium was so high for a single costume!

.. Upshot is that Mr Weird Brow might still be at large somewhere, I don't know of him being on display anywhere, or whether MOMI sold it when they closed, but with a bit of luck all their display stock is still in storage somewhere waiting for a re-opening?? I for one would love to see it back.

Jeremy

Great information! Amazing history being uncovered.

I visited the 2 original trooper suits at the MOMI in 1989 and my Father took the helmet off the single lens trooper and placed it on my head. Dream come true for me as I walked about as a real trooper for the first time, I'll never forget that. Great skating there at the South Bank Opera house too. When I visited again in 1991 the troopers had been put behind the barrier, and barriers had been put up on the skate ramps too. I have some photos of the suits from that time somewhere.

I know you called it a "display" Gonk27, but it looks more like they threw a Stormtrooper suit at a mannequin and where the parts stuck, they said :"Yeh, thet's good 'nough.".

Had they no respect at that museum?!

No problemo guys, and thanks.

Yeah those mannequins don't wear the suits particularly well do they? They didn't seem to have proper human proportions, all spindly limbs - probably designed for weird catwalk stuff...

I can't tell you how much I envy you getting to wear that helmet TD1009! They were both behind the railings when I first saw them, on either side of the giant circular screen that old sci-fi clips were being projected on to. I leant out and tapped on on the chest once but that was all I had the nerve to do.....

(I had visions of it clattering to the floor in pieces and setting off alarms everywhere if I'd tried anything else!)

By the way I'd love to see any photos you have of these suits TD1009 if poss?

Jeremy

Here you go, August 1991 MOMI London South Bank. On top of the armor simply tossed into "place" the blasters were wired to the manequins hands very awkwardly but since this was the only place I knew to see actual Stormtroopers in person it was well worth the prilgrimage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hiya Jeremy,great to see you over here at last

It's nice to see those pics again,I lost the one's you gave me a few years ago.

It would be cool to find out if Mr.Weird Brow was still here in the UK,I'd love to see him again That is the one I saw at the Sheffield Film Exhibition a fews back.I got lots of photos of the suit,but I didn't have a digicam then and they aren't the best pics.I did film the suit though with my camcorder.I'll have to dig out the tape,I haven't watched it since I moved house a year and half ago.

-Paul.

Hiya Jeremy,great to see you over here at last

It's nice to see those pics again,I lost the one's you gave me a few years ago.

It would be cool to find out if Mr.Weird Brow was still here in the UK,I'd love to see him again That is the one I saw at the Sheffield Film Exhibition a fews back.I got lots of photos of the suit,but I didn't have a digicam then and they aren't the best pics.I did film the suit though with my camcorder.I'll have to dig out the tape,I haven't watched it since I moved house a year and half ago.

-Paul.

Hi Paul

Hey I'd fogotten I'd sent you those shots! - if you'd like them again I'd be happy to email them to ya? cheers for the welcome mate!

.. and NICE shots TD1009, those really brought back memories. That's exactly how I remember seeing them, underlit in the dark like that! I'd forgotten, being so used to looking at the photos I took at the time with the flash on my camera. Seeing how they were presented again really took me back in time - thanks for the nostalgia trip

Jeremy