Vacuum Formed Canteens for the Stinger

crashmann

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little more progress today. The E-6000 seems to have bonded the cap very nicely, but the true test will be under the heat and pressure of the vacuum forming plastic.

To ensure the sides mate up, I create a "riser" out of MDF to raise the mold off the forming platen. Otherwise, the plastic bows out where it curves to turn the 90° corner from the side of the mold to the platen surface. The riser is cut at an angle to ease the transition. Here you can see I've rough cut the riser, but it needs to be snugged in tighter to the edge of the mold. After a little work with the belt sander, they should be ready for production!

canteen_riser_01.jpg

Charlie

Finally finished shaping the risers for the molds and pulled some plastic over them

canteen_vac_halves_01.jpg

canteen_vac_halves_02.jpg

I got a little too much flare when combining the canteen molds with the mushrooms on the forming platen, so I'll add another layer of riser underneath, then it's off to production!

Charlie

I'm no good at putting things together, perhaps a fear of commitment? So that's the reason for the delay... I want to make sure we've got a method to assemble everything before I start sending out kits.

We need a way to mount the vinyl tube at the bottom. Perhaps a circle of wood that you can glue inside one half of the shell. Drill a hole in the wood, then glue the vinyl tube in it.

The U shaped mounting bracket is bent into shape using a heat gun, but how will you mount it to the canteen? I shipped a pair of screws, nuts, and washers with the old faucet cover. Perhaps you could drill and mount them to one half of the canteen? But there's no tightening it up once the canteen's closed.

Finally, to put it all together, I'm thinking of gluing strips of plastic on the inside seam, and you would do this before drilling and connecting the mounting bracket. Then, after that has cured, gluing the other half of the canteen on top.

Whaddya think?

Yes, it would be ideal to have kits ready to ship by the end of this week, so you can mount them before Celebration Anaheim. But please let me know your thoughts on assembly :)

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long gap in progress updates. I pulled a few more canteens on the vac table, and due to the size and shape, I can't combine it with anything else without webbing ruining the parts. So this means I need to dedicate a whole sheet to pulling one canteen, which results in a slightly higher price. Fortunately, this means the plastic will be stretched less, so it will be a thicker, more durable part.

Since we're less than a week away from Celebration Anaheim, it's too late to send them out before folks travel to California.

Would anyone be interested in picking up canteen kits at Celebration for $25?

It would include the two vac formed halves of the canteen, the mounting bracket, vinyl hose, a couple of screws washers and nuts, and scrap plastic to be used as shims to join the two halves together.

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll plan on bringing the kits in my suitcase thumbsup.gif

Charlie

@ Charlie - I'd like to get one from you at Celebration as well. If you can hold one for me and I'll find you, Brother. Please PM with your number so I can contact you when we're there! :td::thumbsup:

I've got two extra canteen kits for Celebration Anaheim, and they are ready for distribution!

Only $25 if you we can meet up during the show thumbsup.gif

You get 2 canteen halves, vinyl hose with large bolt, two bolts, washers, nuts, white plastic for the mounting bracket, and scrap plastic for joining the sides:

canteen_kit_01.jpg

Send me a text or give me a call if you would like to meet up.

The following folks are already on the list:

DontWashMeTrooper

Runamuk

Desertfox45

Scribbler

Thanks!

Charlie