Vacuum Formed Canteens for the Stinger

crashmann

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ruggero,

I don't have a finished canteen set to show off what it looks like once it's assembled. I've got ideas on how to go about the assembly, but no physical build yet.

Hopefully the folks that picked up their canteens at Celebration can talk about their build experience, and offer insights and recommendations.

Bondo would probably work to fill the seam. Or you might use sludge: get a small glass jar with a bit of acetone, then add lots of plastic shavings. Let it soak for a while, and stir everything up to make a paste. Glop it into your seam, then sand it down. There will be pinholes that you can fill with Bondo or Spot Glazing putty.

Charlie

• 1 month later...

I felt I couldn't sell the canteens without putting one together myself, so that is the reason for the delay in putting up a for sale thread.

Anyway, here's a tutorial on how to assemble the vacuum formed canteen.

First, lay the raw untrimmed parts on the table, with the flat part facing down. Use a pencil or silver Sharpie to mark the cut line. Then setup a knife at just the right height and trim off the excess plastic.

canteen_assembly_01.jpg

Check to verify your trimmed parts are nice and even. Save the scrap plastic for making sludge later

canteen_assembly_02.jpg

Put the halves together to see how they fit

canteen_assembly_03.jpg

Make some fine tuning with a belt sander

canteen_assembly_04.jpg

Next, put together the stinger. Drill out a hole slightly less than 1/2" in a bottle cap so the vinyl hose fits very snug. It should lock in place when you insert the bolt

canteen_assembly_05.jpg

Then drill out a 1/2" hole in the canteen halves. Use tape to hold them in place.

canteen_assembly_06.jpg

Use the scrap plastic to create shims to fit on the inside edges. The long sides should only be 1/2" tall, otherwise they will bow out too far. Use a heat gun to bend in the corners.

canteen_assembly_07.jpg

Glue in the bottle cap for the stinger. Use blue tape to hold the shims in place, then use extra thick super glue to permanently join them to the inside of one half

canteen_assembly_08.jpg

Clamp them in and let the glue cure completely. Follow up with a bead of glue at the bottom of the shims

canteen_assembly_09.jpg

Drill out the hole for the mounting bracket to fit a #10 screw. Mount the screw from the inside and use thread lock on the nut on the outside

canteen_assembly_10.jpg

Glue the other half of the canteen onto the shims. Use tape to ensure the edges stay lined up. Follow up with more super glue and mix in talcum powder to act as a filler

canteen_assembly_12.jpg

Use a heat gun to bend the mounting bracket into shape. The middle should be 6" wide

canteen_assembly_11.jpg

Use your sharp knife to cut little slivers of plastic from the scrap pieces. Put them in a glass baby food jar, then add some acetone to melt it down and turn it into a gooey batter

canteen_assembly_13.jpg

Glop on the sludge around the seam line, but not too thick. Otherwise you'll create more sanding work for yourself!

canteen_assembly_14.jpg

Tada! Now your ready for final sanding, filler primer, semi gloss black paint, then blue paint in the middle. Be sure to use thread lock on the mounting bracket nuts

canteen_assembly_15.jpg

I've got a boatload of pulls that I need to trim this weekend, then the for sale thread will go up.

Charlie

Totally agree! I have been so busy that I too have not been able to get to my kit since I met up with you at CVII. These are going to make our packs look even better!

Great work as always, Charlie! Thanks again! :td:
:thumbsup:

1908357_10203955294905685_18771009356679

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally finished trimming the vacuum formed canteens, whew!

canteen_pulls.jpg

The sale thread is up!

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=13661

$35 for a kit plus shipping via USPS.

Multiple kits on the same order will save on shipping.

Some assembly required.

Do not use for personal hygiene.

Do not hold the wrong end of a chainsaw.

Replica Canteens are not to be used as a beverage vessel.

Seller not responsible for whacky behavior due to inhalation of sludge fumes.

Some goats, pigs, and sheep were nuked during the original photography of some operations.

Charlie