3D modeled radio (feedback request)

TrainWreck

So I've been puttering around with modeling my own radio face plate to print out. I've got the top done so far and wanted to know if anyone had any feedback. It's not going to be perfect and I'm hoping the texture left after printing will help with the texture on the side of the knobs. So what do you guys think (ignore the yellow strip, that is just a spacer)?

radioplatetop.jpg

So the most common material used is call PLA plastic. It's cheap but has no tolerance for heat (like it could warp in a hot car). There are printers that will also print in ABS. Then there are resin printers. These will tend to be pricey but you get a much smoother finish which will allow you to have less finishing work on the end product. From there you can get stuff printed in all kinds of material (including steel and gold). Just depends on what you are willing to pay.

I'm lucky in that my local library has a PLA printer and it's dirt cheap to use. Unfortunately this also means there is a huge waiting list and I have definitely been designing faster than he can print them.

I have a printer that prints both ABS and PLA. I HIGHLY recommend printing it in ABS. I would also recommend printing the knobs separately. It will require ALOT of clean up, but you can try that new stuff called XTC-3D. I have some but have not used it yet, but it is supposed to smooth parts out real nice :)

Your model looks awesome by the way, Great job man!!!!

Thanks for the good words guys!

I have a printer that prints both ABS and PLA. I HIGHLY recommend printing it in ABS. I would also recommend printing the knobs separately. It will require ALOT of clean up, but you can try that new stuff called XTC-3D. I have some but have not used it yet, but it is supposed to smooth parts out real nice :)

Your model looks awesome by the way, Great job man!!!!

I'll keep the separate knob thing in mind. I've used the XTC 3D stuff a little bit. It definitely works though I haven't had a chance to finish any of my pieces so not sure what the end result will be. Here is a power cylinder I designed, printed, and coated in the stuff. I still need to get bolts and nuts for it and put in the wire and paint (sorry, it's hard to get good detail shots of these):

IMAG3102.jpg

IMAG3103.jpg

IMAG3104.jpg

Super! Makes me want to learn more about CAD drawing and 3D printing. Great job on both the radio and cylinders.

Download a free copy of 123D Design. Autodesk (the company that makes it) has a bunch of tutorials on youtube (I think I just googled 123D Design tutorial). I was ready to rock and roll after about 20 minutes and the program is much easier to use then Blender or Fusion 360.

Dude, those power cylinders look awesome! Did you sand them at all before using the XTC?

And again, I HIGHLY suggest printing the knobs separately.

I also use 123D Design :)

Dude, those power cylinders look awesome! Did you sand them at all before using the XTC?

And again, I HIGHLY suggest printing the knobs separately.

I also use 123D Design :)

No sanding so far. The only issue I have with the stuff is it does soften the edges a bit. I haven't tried to sand the stuff so I don't know how hard it is.

I'll have to go in and cut out the knobs. The two smaller ones won't be a problem but the large one will be a pain since it's sitting in that indent. Luckily it will be a while before that gets printed so I have time to play with it.

Nicely done. I am excited to see the finished product.

Aren't there 3D printing place online that will print your file and ship the product to you?

Yes there are but it's as much a budget issue for me as anything. The local library is orders of magnatudes cheaper than the online services. Frankly I have so much going on right now it probably is for the best I have to wait on prints. Projects are starting to pile up in my shop.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Well the two most common materials are PLA and ABS. The big problem with PLA is it is not very heat tolerant so there is the possibility of warping in a car or out in the sun. I'm not sure if any of the finishing epoxys give it add protection from the heat though they definitely strengthen it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...