Any updated methods on dying/coloring MP40 pouches?

Hey gents,

Was wondering if there was any updates on dying/coloring MP40 pouches? I found some cheap ones online, I just need to dye them. I've browsed the forums and some of this stuff goes back to 2011, 2009, etc.

If you're dying canvas MP40 pouches, wouldn't you want to use fabric dye vs. leather dye (the black leather is already the right color). The other option is I see people spray painting. Doesn't that eventually dry/crack/flake off? I'm about 50%/60% through my TD build, and I need to go ahead and buy some pouches asap, as cheap as I can. I know some are for sale in that forum section, but I'm trying to save where I can for now (the after basic 501st, upgrade for better when I can spread it out more).

As of now, I'm considering fabric dye or leather dye, but I'm worried about rubbing off. Then I read about "leather shene" or what not, but it says it's glossy. Can anyone speak from experience here? Would be much appreciated!

Most of the canvas pouches have nylon thread. I used black clothing dye and it worked great to dye the pouch, but did nothing for the thread. For that, I used a sharpie and just colored them in. It all looks black as it should :)

Most of the canvas pouches have nylon thread. I used black clothing dye and it worked great to dye the pouch, but did nothing for the thread. For that, I used a sharpie and just colored them in. It all looks black as it should :)

Sounds great man, thanks. What's your opinion on the pouches? A good grab for the price ($26 with shipping)?

I used black spray paint and it's never flaked or have I had any issues at all. I know some troopers use dye but to me that seemed like a pain to do. I want to say I've done 8 sets of pouches or so....and never had an issue.

____

Right on, so do you really do anything different? I've done a pipe E11 build with many types of spray paint, and also plastidipped the inside of my bucket, so I'm not a total noob to spray painting, but wasn't sure if there was any other process that's different. I preferred Rustoleum spray paints, but I read on a thread that Krylon was better for this (fabric painting)?

Also, I saw a bottle of liquid Rit fabric dye (since again, I'm just dying the cotton canvas) for a few bucks on Amazon. It's as easy as dumping it in a bath of water and letting the MP40 pouch agitate and soak for a bit. Or, spray paint it like you say. Decisions, decisions. Then again, you all are the vets! I'm just bringing this up in case this helps someone brand new doing some research. I've seen both the dye and the spray paint, trying to determine what's the longevity. It wouldn't seem like the spray paint would wear off on your armor and other stuff. Not sure with the dye if that's an issue? Was hoping someone who's dyed theirs and has trooped a bit could weight in.

I used back spray paint, left them out in the rain for a few days and then kicked then around in the drive way for 10 mins. Mine aren't approved yet bit think they look the part. I cut blocks of Styrofoam that I had laying around to get them to hold their shape. I repositioned the small pouch with E6000 and clamped it to dry.

Thanks guys! I think I'll try the paint method. I picked up some foam blocks, so I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the tips about painting with blocks IN for drying! makes sense. Also, I bought some pouches from $26 on Ebay from some dude in WV, they arrived and REEK of mildew. Son of a b.....as gross as it sounds, the interwebz recommends a vinegar wash, so I'll see how that goes. If not, looks like I'm buying more expensive pouches, what a waste of money and rotten luck I have.

I know we're supposed to be dirty, but I'm not a Mildewtrooper. I'd stink around everyone, and make the armor bin smell NASTY. I don't even think paint will help.

BLACK Matt Car spray color,

Wood inside for stay in shape

after drying in the sun,

take a Metal brusher and work in the edges for Old looking.

i left the Wood inside, i use balsawood.

****, it's weight is nothing :-))

I used the black RIT dye method, was not hard to do and they came out great looking. Four years later, they look even better as the Florida sun has done a really nice fading job on the dyed pouches, the tops are lighter tha the bottom and they look beautifully weathered now.

• 5 months later...

I have used Dylon Multipurpose on some costumes. It works on nylon and lycra.

I haven't used black. But I have used the deep blackish blue that they have.

I have also used a black fine point sharpie on other projects, where I needed the fabric to remain the same color, but the stitching to be black.

Well.... Foam fingers provide a great filler.... But they aren't giving me the confidence once I hit it with the paint.

It's a bit on the squishy side.

14b4pj.jpg

So I've got some Balsa wood on order !

For reference, the size of an MP40 magazine is apparently (Length 9 1/2", Width 1 1/2", Depth 1" at the thickest part).

adyatg.png