TrainWrecks 3D printed E-11 Power Cylinders and T-21 parts

TrainWreck

So I recently discovered that our local library has a maker space with two 3D printers. It's cheep and all I have to do is send them the files and they print them out. I currently am waiting on my first order and am about to send off some more things. I am creating this thread so I can share with you guys the process of this journey (I will also probably be cross posting this with FISD).

So the first thing I had to do was teach myself to 3D model. I started off with a web based program called tinkercad ( https://tinkercad.com/ ). It is a pretty intuitive program and has a good set of tutorials to get you started. It didn't have a whole lot of options with how you can manipulate the primitive objects though and round surfaces don't render smooth. So after a week of that I graduated myself to 123D Design, a program owned by the same company ( http://www.123dapp.com/design ).

After watching a few youtube tutorials on it I have been rock and or rolling for a couple weeks now.

First up is the magazine receiver plate for a Lewis Machine Gun (AKA the T-21 Light Repeating Blaster).

I started off with trying to make my own out of wood and plastic but it was just not working for me. But this is!

I based this off of PandaTrooper's Template (found here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/10313-new-t-21-blaster-template/?p=130310&hl=blaster%20template&fromsearch=1#entry130310 ) and a lot of reference photos!

lewisplatefinal.jpg[/url]

receiverlettering.jpg[/url]

Now in order for the rear sight to work I am having it broken into parts that will print individually (plus the plate is too long for the printer so I have to print it in two pieces).

This is an exploded view of the plate to give you an idea of what it entails.

receiverplussight4.jpg[/url]

This is what I currently have submitted to be printed.

I'm planning on modeling the cooling fins and side details of the gun as well and possibly the sloped transition into the front barrel with the front sight. A sort of pipe build kit if you will.

Now on to power cylinders for the E-11.

I dived into the Power Cylinder Research Thread (check it out if you haven't read it http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/17306-e-11-power-cylinders-research-thread-renamed-from-3-central-fuses/ ) and got enough measurements and reference photos to model them today. I built three different ones. Since I'm going TD I made a a Tunisian one for my Bapty conversion (Type D). I also made an "ideal" one (type A) and an ideal one missing the bolts and wires so I can attempt to put real ones in. I'm still messing around with the wiring in the back but this is what I have so far.

smallcapaciter-1.jpg[/url]

powercylinders.jpg

resistersandgrooves.jpg[/url]

This will probably be the only thing for an E-11 I'll make (though I've been toying with the idea of doing ESB greeblies as well).

Though not storm or sandtrooper related I've also been working on a pineapple gaffi head and mask greeblies for my Tusken.

]comparison-2.jpg[/url]

tusken_head2.jpg[/url]

That last photo was an example of what can be done in the first program mentioned, Tinkercad.

I will probably also be attempting a radio face plate for a TD pack soon as well.

As I get parts printed I'll post pics of me working on them.

Thanks for checking this out!

Andy! Just want to say thanks for all of the research and work you guys did. There is no way I could have pulled off the power cylinders with out it. I'm glad you posted here. I had ment to link to your thread but apperently didn't. I'm going to correct that now (probably should link to panda troopers thread for the T-21 template as well).

Thanks for the good words! There is always a waiting list at the library so I'm expecting to see the cylinders in a couple of weeks.

The only thing that I can think of was that I excluded the marks on the sight. Part of that was because I'm unsure of how the embossed lettering is going to look printed and the other was well I want to make sure they are exact and I just haven't had time to do it.

I just got some pics gotta photo bucket them and get em up for ya

It's like a second rear plate on top of whole plate between whole plate and site mount hard to explain but it's part of bottom plate like one piece

I think I know what your talking about. I believe if you look at the underside it actually has a curve transition that makes it part of the side details. I have been trying to figure out how to do it in such a way that it would be part of the sides and the above plate would rest on it. In reality I did a halfish version with the thin plate that you se on this. I might just end up thickening the bottom. I'll have to play with it. Thanks.

The exploded view you have there is awesome if that's how it will be printed , it'll look awesome put together ;)

If you get that the breach and front barrel shroud you mentioned happening let me know I'll take a couple :)

So I had a pretty rough day at work so I'm just going to post comparison photos for now and will try to get to an analysis tomorrow. There are definitely things that could be changed around a bit. I'm still new to 3D modeling so some stuff might be beyond my expertise and some stuff might be fixable in "post."

Any way starting with the photo Vince posted:

lewiscompare2.jpg

lewiscompare1.jpg

lewiscompare3.jpg

...and this was that bottom transition I was talking about:

8493889_6.jpg

Hopefully over time this will get improved upon and made more accurate. I can already see a couple of easy changes I can make.

Thanks for all of the feedback and good words so far!

Just a quick update. I got the first prints back but there was an error. So I have a 6"x13"x6" space to work with. I had multiple objects in each file trying to conserve space and print time. Well it only printed one object from each file. So I currently have the center of the lewis plat, the rear sight with out all the pieces to put it together, and the ideal power cylinder. I have the issue corrected with the library and he said he would get on printing out the rest of the files. I spent an evening IMing with Dark CMF about the power cylinder. It's a little to big so I have re-sized it using measurements off of Dark's E-11 and just ordered a smaller Tunisian for myself for now. First impressions is it worked but they are going to need a little work with the 3D print epoxy, sanding, and some exacto work. Also the really small details like the wires and nuts on the power cylinder and the small lettering on the rear sight did not come out very well. The power cylinder details can be corrected with real nuts, bolts and wires. Not so sure the lettering on the Lewis plate is going to end up being a good idea but I won't know until I see the back of the plate.

I'll try to get pics up later this weekend. Until then!

OK just a quick update. I have all the pieces of the receiver plate. There is going to be some definite sanding, gluing, and detail work in my future, Hopefully it will be warm enough this weekend to work with the 3D print epoxy and see how that goes. At the bottom are some photos of the "big"power cylinder by the new one, and some close ups of the first one to give an idea of how the raw surface looks. I'm definitely going to need to add real bolts, nuts, and wire since none of the small details printed well. Also the lettering on the plate didn't turn out well at all so I am scraping that part entirely.

lewisplatefinal-2.jpg

IMAG2940.jpg

IMAG2932.jpg

IMAG2933.jpg

I call this my "power cylinder by H. R. Geiger..."

IMAG2888.jpg

IMAG2895.jpg

IMAG2897.jpg

backcompair.jpg

IMAG2900.jpg

IMAG2905.jpg

Also a quick note. in the next picture you will see that the area in the red circle where there should be space is full of plastic. This is because the printer can not print over thin air so it creates stands to print on. they are very thin and are designed to be broken off or cut out. That of course is all part of the clean up and finishing work on the print.

3dstand.jpg

Speaking of which, I'll try to over document the next phase of all of this so until then!

Thanks. The printer I have access to is at the local library so I can prototype with it but not do production runs. The plan is to cast it once I have it finished. Unfortunately I still need to learn to cast (which is in the works) so it might be a while before I have a product I feel comfortable selling.