New ATA TD Build (*definitely* a work in progress)

thederek

Hello everyone! A quick background: So, I've been lurking around FISD for quite some time since back in April. I am also mostly through an ANH E11 pipe build (waiting for scope rail and a Heng, but have since changed gears about my weapon choices). I bought my ATA kit off a Tampa Bay squad member who had an extra kit (sans helmet) that he was selling at the time. I've had it for a few months now, but am still a bit scared to kind of dive into it. I've gone to a few armor parties, and have read some threads, but honestly I'm not the best builder (although my E11 pipe build is pretty boss so far). I started off with a TK in mind, but decided to totally switch gears and go to TD, so much of the "basics" can cross over.

The new helmet:

TD6_zps0d22ffd1.gif

The traps are really bumpy though, and the molding on the side is going to be hard for me to visualize to trim and cut. I know a lot will be covered by ears, but just how much??? I got the feeling it wasn't supposed to look like this?

TD11_zps66caa653.gif

TD10_zps22657b03.gifTD9_zps0198125e.gif

TD8_zps51084051.gif

So these photos are not the best quality (I have to save them in something besides a JPG, since even if I rotate and save in a JPG, it won't upload as such). What do you all think?

And since you all like armor pictures, here's how far I got: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

TD12_zps658676cd.gif

Most of this is trimmed (exception of the Ab and kidney there) the rest needs to be sanded and see how they fit before more trimming or leaving). Ugh. So overwhelmed right now. Also note, I did not write on the cover strips, I think the guy I bought it from did. Thanks for reading my novel!

To finish, the items still needed are: belt, some accessories for inside and outside helmet, pauldron, some MP40 packs, and eventually a backpack. I got the correct TD knee plate, and I have a DLT 19. I will also need to figure out how to strap the thighs, whether garter or suspenders/belt combo are better for me.

Yup, you got your work cut out for ya! At least the pre-trim is done. And you got boots to boot to! Nice!!!

I have an ATA I am building for a lady friend now, and the writing on the sheets comes like that from Terrell. Again, guidelines....

Remember, read, take your time, read some more, take your time, and then...read some more!!!!

God luck!!!!

Yup, you got your work cut out for ya! At least the pre-trim is done. And you got boots to boot to! Nice!!!

I have an ATA I am building for a lady friend now, and the writing on the sheets comes like that from Terrell. Again, guidelines....

Remember, read, take your time, read some more, take your time, and then...read some more!!!!

God luck!!!!

Thank you sir. What's your opinion on the newer helmet mold? The sides scare me, even though a bit gets cut off and the ears cover some of the plastic.

I have to admit, it is a little rougher than the one I got also. Most of it will be hidden once you paint, trim and put the ears on.

I know a lot of guys like all the bumps, like the screen used ones had, but I would prefer it to be a little smoother. However, from 3-5 feet away, you wont even notice it :td:

• 3 months later...

Can one of you guys post some pictures of the outer edges of the back plate and the outer edges of the ab/cod? My ATA has two ridges and I can tell which one need to be the trim line.

Also, my helmet was almost that rough. Not that its done it looks fine.

This is a BEAUTIFUL helmet!
Those bumps are what it's all about man! Don't dis the bumps!

Have you trimmed it yet?
If not, I'll post some pics of your pics with marks where to trim.

YAY!