Move Along Project

Ghost

So... You are saying that what we have thought to be blue for years, after throwing out the theory that it was gray, is wrong and that it actually is gray bot blue?

Does anyone know for sure where does the blue color for the packs came from?

And, was Hans trench coat not blue but brown??

I work in advertising and shoot commercials pretty much the same way they shoot movies, I know for sure that almost any color can be turned to any other color by manipulating the optics on the camera or on the rank process afterwards. Not to mention all new coloring in post production.

I think the blue must have come from somewhere other than guessing, even educated guessing.

Even if the original film strip showed gray or blue, we should try to find other references if the original prop is not available for comparing.

I have never seen a picture of the original prop other than during the shooting, in front and behind camera. That would be something! But I guess the packs do not exist anymore.

This sounds like a good debate.

Saludos.

I wi do some research tomorrow at work and as ppl about post production processes. But in the meantime I guess we could compare the color and how it reacts to different adjustments with the blue on the helmets. That we know is blue. That is a starting point.

Or maybe that is where it all comes from. Maybe I just missed that in the past or in recent research/debate.

Interesting.

Saludos.

I am currently looking at the actual frame of the back pack and have found an old Karrimor Tote Em back pack which I feel can easily be modified to replicate the actual frames used.

After looking at screen shots I am satisfied that the horizontal strapping bar curves outwards which is also present on the Tote Em pack. Another feature is the tapered shelf at the bottom of the frame. I initially thought this was just standard 90º bends but looking at the following pack (not the Move Along), the tubing appears to taper in. After further studying, this also appears to be the case on the Move Along pack as the frame wraps closely around the water bottle, which is not situated to the outer edge of the seed trays.

It is quite hard to see, but even on the low resolution release, you can see the shelf tapering in tight to the water bottle, and in my opinion is not a 90º bend:

F1_zps7e83b505.jpg

Move Along Pack

F2_zps1bd4462e.jpg

F3_zps0cfe6a2b.jpg

Another tapered shot:

F4_zps40dca075.jpg

The return angle also has a flattened look to it which is also present on the tapered Tote Em frame:

F5_zps6283bf56.jpg

Pauldron arrived from Jay earlier in the week and I am impressed by how well it is made. I initially weathered it with Burnt Umber paint, but appeared a bit too blotchy, so just hand rubbed some Fuller's Earth in, and a lot more happier with the smoother finish.

I did however use the Burnt Umber on a small round lid to replicate the sticker residue detail:

Pauldron2_zps325721c7.jpg

Vintage rucksack arrived today and I am very happy with the frame dimensions. After stripping it down I placed the seed trays on top to get an idea of size and any adjustments. I do not have to alter the width at all as it appears quite good for the trays I have and allows the mortar tube to attach without any interference or large gaps:

_Z4A9805_zps1ae35720.jpg_Z4A9806_zps77b34e17.jpg

_Z4A9808_zps068a6d43.jpg_Z4A9809_zpsce1e0cc8.jpg

This Karrimor has the old strapping system with buckles which do appear quite similar to the screen used type, however I am going to have to adjust the height by lowering the strap bar. Luckily this model has a screw type frame for adjusting the height, so this allows me to drill new holes when fitting the trays to get the best height to replicate the frame dimensions from the screen stills:

_Z4A9816_zps6b25084c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers Rolf & Justus!

Been busy working on/waiting on parts for back pack, but did receive my Loake boots today in the post. I have been busy this evening giving them three coats of Angelus leather paint. I decided it was easier just to paint round the edging with a small flat headed brush as opposed to masking them off. I then used a kitchen sponge to paint the upper part. They have leather soles as I am trying to go for accuracy, and went for the larger size to try and match the 'Move Along' screen used boots, as he does appear to have large feet :)

Will probably give them another couple of coats but happy with the results so far.

_Z4A9890-Edit_zpse245817a.jpg

_Z4A9892_zpse807ad81.jpg

_Z4A9894_zpsd3a90ca3.jpg

_Z4A9897_zpsbe7d8c55.jpg

• 3 months later...

Felix did an outstanding job!!! All thanks to him! :salute:

Three small pouches arrived today, have to decide on one for the right hip. The right pouch is a bit smaller to the other two, and the centre on is in the best condition, although not weathered as much as the one on the left...

pouch3_zpspydgs5gg.jpg

pouch2_zpswszkdydb.jpg

pouch1_zpslvgwzspg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers guys!!

Hopefully get the backpack built over the next couple of weeks, as just awaiting some final parts from the US. Managed to do a bit more weathering work to the grip of my blaster, to give it that well worn appearance...

Grip1_zps16ld28oe.jpg

Grip2_zpsrc8rnpp3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers!! Finally got round to getting my syphon up to scratch, I have two mates who are plumbers who I hound on a weekly basis to search out more of these syphons :) After some repair work, gave it a coat of plastic primer followed by a coat of matt black:

_Z4A9797-Edit_zpsjm0up5bs.jpg

_Z4A9809-Edit_zpsk3mp2y3a.jpg

_Z4A9817-Edit_zpswkks11lx.jpg

_Z4A9823-Edit_zps9892dow3.jpg

_Z4A9825-Edit_zpsxwxhl2au.jpg

The above probably explains the requirement for the tabs used!

_Z4A9838-Edit_zpszaxiizyj.jpg

_Z4A9840-Edit_zpsj0yvnmid.jpg

Scott, amazing work on everything done in your build. If you ever get hold of another real vintage syphon and wish to sell it, please let me know! Your work on the syphon is fantastic . Looks brand new withe the black coat of paint!

Also if you have the exact buyer or shop from ebay where you bought your 125 mm sanding backing disc, an you let me know? I looked a lot but couldn't find any like yours. Nice find!

Can't wait to,see the pack all finished. Super pack!

Thanks Brian, I am actively searching for more!! I'll have a look for a matching backing pad.

Got my exhaust port built up today and thanks to Jeff and Cal at FarAwayCreations for the parts, awesome!!

I had a roll of ribbed piping in stock for this project, but wasn't happy with the finish so put some black heat shrink over it and feel the result is much more an accurate finish:

_Z4A9842-Edit_zpsvl2pvzfq.jpg

_Z4A9843-Edit_zpsljwviyyk.jpg

After applying a matt black finish I attached the jubilee clip and am happy with the end result:

_Z4A9848-Edit_zps4gfztqk5.jpg

_Z4A9849-Edit_zpsywld1flw.jpg

• 1 month later...

Scott this is looking excellent buddy. I'm watching this with great interest as this is the same level of detail I am trying to look at for my current build.

What is your intention with the backpack frame, are you going to simply cut off the top frame and plug the blank ends to shorten the top buddy.

Nick

Scott this is looking excellent buddy. I'm watching this with great interest as this is the same level of detail I am trying to look at for my current build. What is your intention with the backpack frame, are you going to simply cut off the top frame and plug the blank ends to shorten the top buddy. Nick

Cheers Nick!!

Yes, once the trays are in place I will cut the top from the frame, and I have a set on end caps that look similar to the screen capture. I have made the moulds for the trays now, so getting a step closer!!

06b842c5-9b7f-4e9d-a52b-b6f56a5daa7c_zps